Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 6th October 2019

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Re: E-M1(ii) silver edition or Mk3?

Well, if it was me and I had the cash, I would buy the OMD1 Mk2 NOW (You will not regret it) then later you can either buy the Mk3 when it arrives or another Mk2 or even the M1X.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (7th October 2019), Ross the fiddler (7th October 2019)
Old 7th October 2019

Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,336 Posts
Liked 2,436 Times in 1,154 Posts

Yes I'd go for an OMD EM1 mk2 now as well but as it's a second camera I'd go with either a second hand one or a new one from one of the grey suppliers like HDEW. That way you save more cash for when the Mk3 comes out and you replace one or even both of them
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay, I’m convinced that getting another Mk2 rather than waiting for a Mk3 is the way to go. Thanks

However is there anyone with the silver Mk2 that can tell me about the finish and why they don’t seem to have been as popular as other silver editions?

With only 2000 units worldwide, several showing up as ‘open box’ and now wex offering them at a cheaper price than the black version, I have doubts about the finish.

I’m just being lazy as I can pop down to the shop and look myself, but I was wondering about other people’s opinions.
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 81 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Hardwick View Post
Okay, Iím convinced that getting another Mk2 rather than waiting for a Mk3 is the way to go. Thanks

However is there anyone with the silver Mk2 that can tell me about the finish and why they donít seem to have been as popular as other silver editions?

With only 2000 units worldwide, several showing up as Ďopen boxí and now wex offering them at a cheaper price than the black version, I have doubts about the finish.

Iím just being lazy as I can pop down to the shop and look myself, but I was wondering about other peopleís opinions.
Maybe people realised that it doesn't look as professional and having seen it they realised wanted a black one. I have not seen any complaints about the finish and as I said the Pen-F silver finish is excellent.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ralph Hardwick (7th October 2019)
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 481 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Hardwick View Post
They keep popping up on offer or 'Open Box' 2nd Hand on Wex website (only 15 miles away). Which is a great temptation.

My first OM-D E-M10 was bought from Wex open box. I'm also about that distance from their Norwich showroom
I rang and reserved it and booked in a trade in check on my Pentax kit.
They were happy to let me have a proper play with the M10 while their technician valued my stuff.
The sales person remarked that everything was present and correct and in very good nick. I showed him the secret button presses to bring up the shutter use menus and IIRC it was around the 500 mark.

We agreed that it looked like someone had bought it online and used it for a weekend/event then repacked and returned it. It had more use than a casual try out but it was undamaged and substantially cheaper than new so I bought it - along with a very fair trade in for my K100d.
I was able to register it for the full Olympus warranty and it's still going strong albeit it's been with my brother in law for the last two years.

My suspicion is some people think that buying and returning something after a weekend's use is OK. I'm not sure of the ethics of that but I ended up with a "nearly new" camera for a significant discount. It's no worse than buying a demonstrator with a few hundred miles on it from a car dealer.
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don’t have a problem with ‘open box’ or secondhand. It’s just that they seem to pop up quite regularly. Last month they were offering a free battery grip and this month they’re £70 cheaper than the black.
All this for a 2000 limited edition that was launched several months ago.

It just makes me wonder if there is something ‘not quite right’ with this particular silver edition.
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I can agree that HDEW are Good. I bought a lens from them. My 75-300mm and it works Great. Good Luck on whatever you decide to do. I need a second camera but will have to wait until 2020 sometime.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Russ For This Useful Post:
Ralph Hardwick (9th October 2019)