Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 6th July 2019

Liked 122 Times in 80 Posts
Re: Adobe LR - no more updates - options?

I've been tempted by On1, but have resisted.

I don't like the way they force you to use .xmp files, which I don't use, and there's also some discussion about them not providing a backup process for the On1 catalogue (although you don't have to import, the edits are stored in a catalogue just as for LR). If you want your edits backed up, you can tell the program to create .on1 sidecar files as well as the .xmp sidecars, but the catalogue contains other program settings that won't be backed up this way.
Old 8th July 2019

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Wee man. My main computer is a 21" iMac with a fast processor and a decent graphics card, so I have no problems with using ON1 2019 on it. Like you, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able use it on my 12" Linx laptop running Win 10 and bog standard onboard graphics, but to my surprise it handles all my RAW holiday photos perfectly. A lot slower than the iMac, I grant you, but it still works. I previously ran ON1 2018 on a tiny Linx 10" with 32 bit OS. (2019 version needs 64 bit). The 2019 version now does focus stacking quite well and also allows the use of layers, something that LR is struggling with if reports are to be believed.
Old 9th July 2019

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Just concede Tord. A few points:

- Software is expensive to develop. The market is littered with companies that went bust.

- If we want continuity then we need to make sure the provider can make money from it.

- Ongoing updates (new cameras, new features etc) are necessary and desirable.

- 10 a month is in reality not expensive. A few cups of Starbucks and certainly cheaper than film and processing.

- For the 10 you also get Photoshop, cloud storage, portfolio software a few other things.
It isn't the monthly cost that's a problem for me (at the moment) but the fact that once you stop subscribing you no longer have the software. I have just bought an m10 III which is not supported by my standalone version of LR so looking at ACDSee which seems to provide everything LR does.

Or I just forget about RAW and stick with JPEG files.
Old 9th July 2019

Liked 480 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffmp View Post
It isn't the monthly cost that's a problem for me (at the moment) but the fact that once you stop subscribing you no longer have the software. I have just bought an m10 III which is not supported by my standalone version of LR so looking at ACDSee which seems to provide everything LR does.

Or I just forget about RAW and stick with JPEG files.

Lightroom 6.13 supports the E-M10iii and is non subscription.
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjour...available.html

Quote:
The goal of this release is to provide perpetual customers additional camera raw support, lens profile support and address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Lightroom
Might be worth running the updater if you're on the final v6 lightroom?

I wonder if an E-M10iii ORF file EXIF can be fiddled to masquerade as an E-M10ii file?
The sensors are the same, not sure what else might be in there - Exif Tool can do batch conversion IIRC.
I can't imagine anyone doing the DNG conversion route on a regular basis but that's always possible too.

Last edited by AMc; 9th July 2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 9th July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
Lightroom 6.13...
6.14 is the final release.
Old 9th July 2019

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[quote=AMc;485130]Lightroom 6.13 supports the E-M10iii and is non subscription.

[quote]The goal of this release is to provide perpetual customers additional camera raw support, lens profile support and address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Lightroom
Quote:

Might be worth running the updater if you're on the final v6 lightroom?

I wonder if an E-M10iii ORF file EXIF can be fiddled to masquerade as an E-M10ii file?
The sensors are the same, not sure what else might be in there - Exif Tool can do batch conversion IIRC.
I can't imagine anyone doing the DNG conversion route on a regular basis but that's always possible too.
Thanks for that link, it allowed me to download a later version which does indeed support the m10 III, trying to update from lightroom had failed earlier.
Old 9th July 2019

Liked 480 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
6.14 is the final release.
Sure, I googled support for the E-M10 iii and that page came up.

The post about 6.14 isn't as helpful as it doesn't specify which cameras and lenses were added in that final update.

Filtering this list shows the 10iii was the last Olympus camera added before they stopped updating the standalone

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/k...d-cameras.html
Old 9th July 2019

As it happens, the link you've posted shows that the OM-D E-M10MkIII was added in 6.13 but I wasn't going to Google that for you. Just wanted to make you aware that 6.13 wasn't the last perpetual license version in case it wasn't there in 6.13.
Old 10th July 2019

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogman View Post
... Last year I started using ON1 Photo RAW 2018 as an alternative. This year I'm on to ON1 2019. It's more than able to do all that LR can do, plus a lot more, without the overheads of a catalog. Well worth looking at as far as I'm concerned. I think next year I'll make the switch to ON1 from LR and leave the past behind (DV).
Thanks for the pointer to ON1. I've had a short play around with it, and it's a good bit of software for the money. I haven't compared the quality of outputs compared to LR because there are at least 2 features missing which I want, so sadly it's not able to all that LR can do.

1: The keywords are pretty good, best of the programs I've tried other than LR, but they lack keyword aliases, which I use.

2: The export dialog is pretty weak compared to LR, and lacking some features I use, like file limits & text watermarking.

It does look good though & I'll be having another look to see what enhancements they put in over the coming months.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery