Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2019

Liked 4,018 Times in 1,842 Posts
Re: Babs's

Sorry to see you go Dave, but not quite sure what the trigger was...

We will miss your photography, always unique and exciting..............

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (2nd May 2019)
Old 2nd May 2019

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Sorry to see you go Dave, but not quite sure what the trigger was...........
Not sure if any of us know "what the trigger was"!

Jim
Old 2nd May 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
This site is sickening me, sod you all, I'm off.

Please explain what I've done to offend anyone, all I did was buy a Leica.

It's(was) a terrific site but ruined by the few, the so-called hierarchy, the in crowd, those who fit, the clique, the apostrophe basher etc, need I go on.

If it's possible to resign, then I resign, and gladly.
Err, whatever provoked that Dave? If I've offended you, I apologise, but please explain.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Jim Ford (3rd May 2019)
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

I thought the joke was on the English language and the rules therein (so avoiding a possessive apostrophe).

Please enjoy your Leica, like most camera fans I almost bought in to the Leica system when I had some cash, (I have the Pradovit projector and two pair of the binoculars), but life overtook the camera purchase plan.
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:

It's(was) a terrific site but ruined by the few, the so-called hierarchy, the in crowd, those who fit, the clique, the apostrophe basher etc, need I go on.

Through life we leave our footprints everywhere, especially in the digital age. To resign from a forum and remove all trace of membership requires a ban to be implemented and the offer from the management to purge all traces, all posts and images. I think it can be done, but I suspect one has to go the extra mile for this to happen.

on flickr
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:

As a newcomer I understand your points. Too many forums get taken over by "clever" folk. Same with photo and art clubs.
But there some very decent people around as well to whom I am happy to listen.
Old 3rd May 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I thought the joke was on the English language and the rules therein (so avoiding a possessive apostrophe).
Yes, it was all very tongue-in-cheek wasn't it? And very polite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Please enjoy your Leica
Absolutely. I couldn't care less if Dave has a Leica or a Lumix - it's the results that count.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 3rd May 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Quote:

I'm gobsmacked! I've been following this thread with interest and thought it was going rather well. It has provided an interesting talking point and has already attracted far more comments than many threads posted in Foto Fair. Presumably you chose to post in Foto Fair because you didn't want a critical analysis in Looking for Improvement? Maybe you could enlighten us by explaining exactly what sort of comments you hoped to attract.

You are a long standing and valued member and I'm sorry to see you leave in these circumstances. However, I wish you well with your new camera and hope you find a Leica forum on which to participate. After all, you wouldn't have expected in the long term to continue posting pictures taken with another brand of camera on an Olympus dedicated forum, would you?

All the best,

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (3rd May 2019), MJ224 (3rd May 2019)
Old 6th May 2019

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,219 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Nice to see the apostrophe being correctly used!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Not only the apostrophe. I spy an unnecessary 'S'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Possibly. Maybe she calls herself Babs though, in which case all is fine.
One of my (late) Aunts was known as Babs (quite a different given name though) & so "Babs's Takeaway" looks correct to me. Some might leave off the last 's' but that to me makes it "unnecessarily" short.

EDIT: I hadn't noticed the turn of events in this thread when I posted. Them's the breaks!

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 6th May 2019

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts

I just knew it would come to this. Crazy really as the discussion veered towards the image and away from what it was taken with. IMO, this forum is about Olympus and Panasonic to a certain extent but, in the case of DiW has been a chance to show quite a number of his Leica images Let's keep this forum very much Oly based guys.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 6th May 2019

Liked 752 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Yes, it's the Leica, I still find the 4:3 format to be the most pleasing and crop when necessary. The camera only offers one format and that's 3:2 which I can find a bit long and skinny, especially for portraits.
Things I like about 3:2: It’s an easy crop to a more panoramic 16:9. Thing I hate: As you say, not good for portrait. And you waste a lot of digital real estate when cropping to square. Glad you’re enjoying the new camera.
Old 6th May 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I just knew it would come to this. Crazy really as the discussion veered towards the image and away from what it was taken with. IMO, this forum is about Olympus and Panasonic to a certain extent but, in the case of DiW has been a chance to show quite a number of his Leica images Let's keep this forum very much Oly based guys.
Dave in Wales has been part of our community for a long time and I was cutting him some slack with his Leica images, at least in the short term until he found a more appropriate home for his pictures. I'm a great believer anyway that it is the picture that counts, not which camera was used to take it. However, you are right about this forum being for Olympus users, which makes his outburst all the more disappointing.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 6th May 2019

John, I'm guilty of posting a whole load of non-u4/3 images, even 'talking' (ie texting) about other systems, but I'm very clear now where I stand and will cease immediately. I'm also more than happy if you wish to purge the forum of all the non-u4/3 images I've posted in the past.

on flickr
Old 6th May 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
John, I'm guilty of posting a whole load of non-u4/3 images, even 'talking' (ie texting) about other systems, but I'm very clear now where I stand and will cease immediately. I'm also more than happy if you wish to purge the forum of all the non-u4/3 images I've posted in the past.
Steve, forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't you mainly post images taken on film in the Nostalgia Nexus section, which is exactly what it is for? You and your pictures are very welcome! In practice I tend to take a liberal view when members post pictures taken with their "other" digital cameras, so long as they don't overdo it and nobody complains. Remember, Dave in Wales has chosen to leave this forum for his own reasons - he has not been banned or prevented from posting pictures and it is he who has made his Leica an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (6th May 2019)
Ross the fiddler (6th May 2019)
Old 6th May 2019

Ok thanks for the clarification John.
Now here's a tricky question, are Leica film images acceptable?

For the sake of absolute transparency on the matter, I have been guilty in the past of posting digi-Leica images, and although I'm somewhat agnostic when it comes to brand loyalty etc, for me digi is just a bunch of 1s and 0s brought to life by RAW converter software, but this is an Olympus 1s and 0s site, and respect is due.

on flickr
Closed Thread