Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 10th March 2012

Liked 1,344 Times in 801 Posts
Re: dodgy ISO and lack of shallow DOF - upgrade to E-5 or just drop Oly altogether?

It's simple really, cameras are just tools. If you're a pro/making money from your photography buy the most suitable tools for the work you do.

Otherwise just buy whatever you want/will be happy with.

But remember, the latest and greatest camera won't automatically make anyone a better photographer.

David M's Photoblog
Old 10th March 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: dodgy ISO and lack of shallow DOF - upgrade to E-5 or just drop Oly altogether?

Might surprise you what the E600 can do with a little inventiveness, this was with a DIY bendy lens 50mm f11

Would recommend the sigma30mm if you can get one, this under a florecent tube, f2.8 iso1600
but the 25mm pancake can nearly match the performance it if you cant. Then the manual focus legacy glass as already metioned, this with the om50mm f1.8
E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/
Old 10th March 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

At the risk of sounding less than warm and cuddly ...

How is this even remotely true? ;
Quote:
Originally Posted by orsiphoto View Post
... But at the same time I have already invested a lot of money in lenses ...
considering your lens list in your sig ;
Quote:
14-42mm f3.5-5.6, 40-150mm f4-5.6, 25mm f2.8
Old 10th March 2012

Liked 1,729 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post

Good point - I hadn't noticed that they're 'only' kit lenses!

Jim
Old 10th March 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,179 Times in 2,484 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post

That's a fair point, Ulfric, but it might still be a substantial investment to the OP, to me at the moment the value of these lenses represents a fortune! However, if that is the case it does rather rule out investment in a larger format, particularly in fast lenses.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 11th March 2012

Thanked 1,343 Times in 1,048 Posts
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Good point - I hadn't noticed that they're 'only' kit lenses!

Jim
I did & that's why I was suggesting the ZD14-54 II lens (& not the 12-60) as something being reasonably affordable (especially if found used) & yet it is very good quality with larger apertures than a kit lens, plus it being optimised for CD-AF & weather sealed, would also be good to use on a future body like the OM-D E-M5 (with weather sealed MMF-3 adapter). That lens works very well for indoor portraits as well as nice sharp close ups etc. or many general uses.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 11th March 2012

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

Hi
Regarding noise removal try Dfine 2 by Nik software without a doubt the best noise removal software around it can be used as a plugin for Lightroom. For selective sharpening again try Sharpener Pro by Nik Software a wonderful tool that can brush in sharpness where needed. They can be downloaded for free as a try before you buy, worth it to compare if this software will improve your workflow. Hope this helps.

All the best

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
The Following User Says Thank You to tomphotofx For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (11th March 2012)
Old 11th March 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Orsi, have two samples of E-600 with sigma 30mm f1.4 shooting wide open, to show the depth of field. Hand held indoors and out of camera jpegs unsharpened.

Shooting up close, iso 400, 1/400 sec using some windowlight -

Shooting further away, some cropping, iso 100, 1/40 sec, some windowlight -

Here's one on my E-3 stopping down to f1.6 (to reduce it's tendancy to back focus) in artificial light in a submarine. Have done a some cropping, a bit of sharpening and converted to B+W. Was shot as a jpeg, iso 800, 1/40 sec

You can only buy the Sigma 30mm f1.4 second hand now. Looking at the for sale ads CallaWolf might still have one for sale, if not they come up from time to time. Front or back focussing wide open is quite often commented on in the forums but with focus fine adjust on your E-600 you should be fine (also found on E-620/30/5).

If you have a light wall/background that catches good light through a window then with a reflector and/or a flash you can shoot like OlyPaul has suggested and buying second-hand a Oly 14-54 mk1 or Sigma 18-50 f2.8 would be cheaper and easier to find than the Sigma 30mm f1.4.

Do you have a budget in mind Orsi ? If you have more money to play with then you can add an Oly 50mm f2 and upgrade the above to 14-54 mk2, (maybe a 12-60 but it's a big lens for an E-600), Panaleica 25mm f1.4, E-5 body, OMD plus 45mm f1.8, 14-35, 35-100, etc - the list keeps going but so does the cost !

I guess you need to think about your budget, what type of shooting you like to do and what type of shooting you might want to do in the future .... Hiring some lenses and a different body from this site might help you make up your mind

Regards,
Mark
Old 11th March 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomphotofx View Post
Hi
Regarding noise removal try Dfine 2 by Nik software without a doubt the best noise removal software around it can be used as a plugin for Lightroom. For selective sharpening again try Sharpener Pro by Nik Software a wonderful tool that can brush in sharpness where needed. They can be downloaded for free as a try before you buy, worth it to compare if this software will improve your workflow. Hope this helps.

All the best

Tom
I can certainly endorse Dfine 2.0. It was used in the processing of this shot, where I used a control point to apply much less NR to the boy's face than the rest of the image.

Taken at ISO 3200 on an E-3.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 11th March 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsiphoto View Post
I've been looking for that 30mm Sigma everywhere but I can't find it.

I've looked at the legacy lenses too. I've seen some converter on e-bay that will allow AF with them but I think it's the same thing with any other extension tubes, you're loosing light with it so there's really no point in getting that.

You're absolutely right about trying to sell my gear. Wouldn't really get me too far... maybe half a lens... I guess I just really need to research everything, then decide what would work the best
You'll have to keep ebay, or one of the four-thirds forums in mind for finding the Sigma 30mm... there was one listed not too long ago on one of them for $275 USD... as far as the converters allowing AF, I've not seen one, only those with focus confirmation with a beep or light... however you're usually not loosing light with any of the adapters, my Rokkor 50mm 1.7 can be opened up to 1.7 no problem...

S/N: You don't loose light with extension tubes either do you? I was sure such was the case only with teleconverters.
Old 11th March 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ean View Post
You'll have to keep ebay, or one of the four-thirds forums in mind for finding the Sigma 30mm... there was one listed not too long ago on one of them for $275 USD... as far as the converters allowing AF, I've not seen one, only those with focus confirmation with a beep or light... however you're usually not loosing light with any of the adapters, my Rokkor 50mm 1.7 can be opened up to 1.7 no problem...

S/N: You don't loose light with extension tubes either do you? I was sure such was the case only with teleconverters.
You do lose light with extension tubes, particularly if you are using extremely long combinations but it is not as sudden and severe as the light loss with a teleconverter.

You do not lose light with an adapter, because you are only restoring the distance between lens and sensor that the lens was designed for.

Old 11th March 2012

Liked 1,344 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ean View Post

I saw a new one on a Canadian dealers web site at CDN$600 recently, I just checked and they don't show any in stock but list it as still available from their supplier.

But for that sort of price I'd watch for the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 coming on sale. It's CDN$514 currently but I just picked up the Samyang 8mm for CDN$201 when Amazon Canada had it on sale for a third off so now I'm watching for the 35mm going on sale.

And yes, you do loose light with extension tubes.

David M's Photoblog
Old 11th March 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Learn something every day I suppose... but yes, as noted and confirmed here, you won't loose any light with an adapter for legacy lenses. May want to touch up on those manual focus skills!