Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 16th June 2011
lowa2

Re: The for sale section

First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you for discussing this with me. To be completely honest, I did not expect to get a somewhat hostile response, just because I am new here, and was trying to sell some gear.

I am on various forums in north America, and it almost seems to be common practice for a "newbie" to just show up and sell his gear. I thought it would be accepted just the same here on this forum, but I guess not. I actually joined the forum a few years ago when I was looking for an OM350, and there was one for sale here....

If i have offended anyone that much, I will gladly take the posts down if I am contacted by admin. I guess someone will just miss out on a few good deals.

Perhaps I can make one suggestion for this. On "fourthirdsphoto.com" you are required to pay a premium to the admin, if you wish to sell. You can be a "supporter" which is 25$ per year, a "super supporter" which is 50$ per year, or a "seller" which grants you access to the buy/sell section of the forum. It seems to work great over there, because People show up all the time just to sell. There is also a feedback system called "iTrader" which allows parties to leave feedback (available for everyone to read) about the transaction.

Charles
Old 16th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,282 Posts
Liked 1,765 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
I think it only matters to those looking to buy or sell. At that stage those buying will go to PM (correctly I think) to get more info on the goods and payment method. It is useful to see shots of the goods but they only give the outside views not the condition of the working parts. I to have had success buying (from Paul on one occassion) and selling goods with out a problem, some of the people I have bought from have then dropped off the site (maybe I bought their last Olympus item?) after the sale. Payment methods may give protection if things go wrong? It is good to know (or think you do ) something about the person selling but as usual buyer beware. I only look at the other sites on occasion so their ratings there are not known to me so I base it on what I see on this site and would think before buying of low number posters who may have only joined to sell. This does not mean they are dodgy but it does give you some confidence in the buyer to whom you will be sending in some cases large sums of money if you feel you 'know' them? Requiring a number of posts before sales may only result as said in 'nice shots' postings but if a person is going to offload poor goods this will not stop them as a few extra keystrokes will not matter to them.
Hoping to sell some stuff soon, I have enough posts but how much do you really know about me when it comes to sales?

Note to self::: just blown any sales.

Rant over am going to take the camera for a walk and then lie down in a darkened room..
1,551 posts... are you sure that's enough posts?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Wee man (16th June 2011)
Old 16th June 2011
E-P1 fan

So like eBay - it's basically just Caveat Emptor
Old 16th June 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowa2 View Post
First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you for discussing this with me. To be completely honest, I did not expect to get a somewhat hostile response, just because I am new here, and was trying to sell some gear.

I am on various forums in north America, and it almost seems to be common practice for a "newbie" to just show up and sell his gear. I thought it would be accepted just the same here on this forum, but I guess not. I actually joined the forum a few years ago when I was looking for an OM350, and there was one for sale here....

If i have offended anyone that much, I will gladly take the posts down if I am contacted by admin. I guess someone will just miss out on a few good deals.

Perhaps I can make one suggestion for this. On "fourthirdsphoto.com" you are required to pay a premium to the admin, if you wish to sell. You can be a "supporter" which is 25$ per year, a "super supporter" which is 50$ per year, or a "seller" which grants you access to the buy/sell section of the forum. It seems to work great over there, because People show up all the time just to sell. There is also a feedback system called "iTrader" which allows parties to leave feedback (available for everyone to read) about the transaction.

Charles
Hi Charles - I don't think it's personal or hostile but naturally as you are new here you might be sensitive about some aspects of the responses. Please don't be. I'd certainly like to welcome you to the e-group.

As the e-group forum is a very civilised and, I think I can say - special - place, members naturally want to keep it that way and it's fair to say that there has been an increase in members joining only for the purpose of selling their gear.

My take on that is that some of these people may discover that the site is worth more to them than just the small ads section and eventually they become very valuable members of the forum. OK, so some will just visit to sell and then never be seen again. We can't stop that - it's a free world and for the members that do participate regularly, for some of them there is the value in the occasional bargain.

Others are of course worried that unscrupulous sellers will eventually rip off a member. This hasn't, so far, happened here. Maybe it's inevitable that it will one day. I hope not.

The idea of charging for the privilege of posting to the small ads section is interesting. On the one hand I'd be concerned that members might be lulled into a sense of security that could be profited on by scammers who paid the fee. It might also limit the value of the ads section if nobody advertised anything there any more. But it's worth consideration. I know the owner of fourthirdsphoto and I may get in touch with him for some advice.

Ian

Old 16th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts

Whether the seller has 5 posts, 500 posts or 5000 posts there is no protection and no guarantee offered by the forum. Buyers must use their own judgement and do so at their own risk for every transaction.

Charles (Iowa2) has done nothing wrong and I would have hoped that we could have afforded him a better welcome than this. Nobody is being forced into doing business with him and if you are unhappy doing business with someone with a low post count, then don't do it!

Simple as!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
jchallen (17th June 2011), theMusicMan (16th June 2011)
Old 16th June 2011

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

Welcome back Iowa2:
I see you have been a member since Nov 2009 not long after I joined, please do not take my rant as being aimed at yourself rather it is a response to the discussion re buying and selling which does come up on this site every so often. My general thoughts are to check sales out before buying as you would normally and 'knowing' someone due to them being around the site gives you some confidence.
As I said I have a number of posts (thanks Ian) on here but how well do people really know me when it comes to giving me their hard earned money?
I find this is a nice friendly 'family' site and I think people fear it may change. I would not like to see payments for sales as this would just mean someone unloading would add this to their price in the same way they can bump up posts?

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-P1 fan View Post
So like eBay - it's basically just Caveat Emptor
It's not quite like Ebay,though is it. EBay is purely a marketplace and one takes a much more pragmatic view of sellers when buying. Yes to a degree we do here,but in most cases the buyer will have history,in posting threads,replying to threads,or just general chit chat on the forum and in some cases will be personally known to other members - so one can gleam some sort of background knowledge,although I would agree that it is not bey any means definite about the intent behind a sale.

I am fortunate in that I have bought 5 fairly expensive lenses on here,all were described as second hand and in good condition - thankfully for me they were in MINT condition with no problems whatsover,and all were from seasoned forumers.

I did notice that Iowa2 registered with the site in 2009 and if I am correct his only posts were yesterday / today and 3 out 4 were sale items,so he is not a newcomer to the site ( he didn't just register today and put items up for sale immediately ),so if he had checked he would have seen the way items go up for sale,and how memebrs have responded to newcomer sales in the past.

He has now posted pics of the camera in another thread together with some
raptor pics. I give him 8/10 for the pics,sadly 0/10 for the camera,only because I have not had the opportunity to try one and couldn't afford one anyway.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 1,344 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowa2 View Post

Charles
But this isn't 4/3photo, it's free to use and a friendlier forum without the heavy handed moderation seen on there recently.

As a result some people regard it as rude when someone's only contribution is to join to use the buy and sell forum.

David M's Photoblog
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
... in most cases the buyer will have history,in posting threads,replying to threads,or just general chit chat on the forum and in some cases will be personally known to other members - so one can gleam some sort of background knowledge...
Isn't that how we want to keep it? (And the idea behind having time and no of posts before selling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
...it's fair to say that there has been an increase in members joining only for the purpose of selling their gear....
Old 16th June 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
But this isn't 4/3photo, it's free to use and a friendlier forum without the heavy handed moderation seen on there recently.

As a result some people regard it as rude when someone's only contribution is to join to use the buy and sell forum.
I am a fourthirdsphoto member but I haven't visited for a long time, so my recollections are likely to be well out of date.

I certainly want to maintain the type of friendly and easy going atmosphere we have here.

Ian

Old 16th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

WFK - that's exactly how I would like to see it kept,and I have to say a big thanks here to Ian and the other moderators who do such a fantastic job to keep it that way.

I also respect those forum members who choose to buy from newbees,it it their choice - I am just saying it wouldn't be for me.

Iowa2( Charles ) ther is certainly nothing personal against you,perhaps you can see how this forum operates and its attitude to new sellers. I wish you the best of luck with your sale of the E5 particularly.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedict For This Useful Post:
Greytop (16th June 2011), Wee man (16th June 2011)
Old 16th June 2011
E-P1 fan

Charles - no offence intended from me either - but you will understand that joining any group - on or off line - it takes a bit of time to become accepted. I personally would only buy from members who have kinda shown me they are here for the site, the hobby and the marque rather than the free selling opportunity. The membership on here is great and I like to think a bit special - and many of us value that and want to keep it so. You are welcome - but you need to maybe 'put yourself about a bit' before diving in and using the site's selling facility.
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Iowa's "for sale section" thread.

This is an interesting thread, and Iowa seems to be in a special minority : 2009 registered, lurked for a year an a half, suddenly posting to sell.
I for one am happy to see that, although it did look (without visiting his profile) like a typical register-to-sell event.

e-group-uk : Lurkers welcome!
Old 16th June 2011
lowa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

I know what you mean about the heavy moderation, and personally, I think they killed the forum that way. It used to be a pretty friendly place, but now, I don't frequent it as much as I used to...

Just to clarify, I am/was not offended by the replies here, I was surprised! I was, and am again now, under the impression that this was a very friendly forum!

One thing for sure is that I have learned a lot in my meager *10* posts!

This is how I felt this morning :

A little bit of discussion:

And now, relaxed :
Old 16th June 2011
Administrator

A great narrative to some great photos and actually still on topic - very well done

Ian