Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 20th March 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
So, what would like to see in your E-3 successor...

Hi All

Well, so I hear, there's some talk now around various Oly media sites about an alleged replacement/upgrade for the Olympus E-3. For me, this creates an opportunity for some interesting discussion as to what we'd all like to see in any next generation E-3.

Personally, I am happy with my E-3 and on top of this, my photographic ability has not yet reached anywhere near the capability of the camera; however, this doesn't mean I wouldn't consider an upgrade. There is one critically important element in all this though, which is... for me, and replacement must at least, try to compete with the low light capability of the likes of the Nikon D700 etc. If Olympus bring out a new camera as a replacement for the E-3, as price of the E-3 at its launch was well over 1,200, I'd wager any launch price of its successor would be around the 1,500 mark - which is a similar price to the Nikon D700. OK, we have invested in a 'system', but at prices like that, what would you do...?

So - what are your thoughts as to the functionality you'd like to see in any E-3 replacement. Here's a few of mine;

Low Light: Much improved low light capability (usable images/no noise @1600)
AEB: Lots here. Custom i.e. my choice of - setting the number of shots to take, and the steps between them. Why is it, when I can manually adjust E/V +- 3 either side of the E-3 calculated correct EV, does Olympus limit me to only +-2 EV on AEB?. Also, why can I not take three shots at +-2EV i.e. -2, 0, +2 - which would suit me better. Currently I have to take 5 if I want to bracket at +2 -2. This is only a firmware change, as the camera is capable of doing +3 and -3 as an EV compensation when in A or S... so why not add this to the functionality in AEB...? Now I know I can do this manually (but only on a tripod because of the time to adjust the settings), but I would also like the capability to set my own brackets such as -5, 0 +2 - which I'd use for sunrise/sunset compositions - so I could then use this handheld, and store in a new MyMode!.
Frame Rate: much faster please.
My Modes: more of them, and more customisable elements too.
Bulb Mode: Presently, no metering information is shown on either screen. Why not show what the correct exposure should be (depending on mode), and also include a count down/up timer on the top and rear screens.
Built in WiFi: So I can send and upload pics at the time of taking, if needed, to my Mac/PC, in fact... anywhere.
Built in screen level: Include an on screen (viewfinder, rear and top) level indicator.

Don't need: Fancy 'Art' filters, video capability.

Thoughts...

Old 20th March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: So, what would like to see in your E-3 successor...

Fully agree with your points. No video, no fancy stuff.

And yes please to an easy way of geotagging pics.
And to the possibility to tether my camera with Aperture on the Mac....
Old 20th March 2010

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

My preferred feature set would be:

Dynamic Range - two stops more at least - having PP lots of Nikon photos I can see the lack of dynamic range in the current E-3 sensor.

14-bit raw file - less rounding errors in PP.

DNG native - option to save RAW in DNG format

Autofocus tuning - Should be a given as I think it is in the E-30

Mirror lock - Ability to lock mirror up for sequence of shots

Viewfinder - ability to see picture in 4:3 16:9 modes etc
Old 20th March 2010

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts

There are loads I'd like to see (which have been mentioned here in a similar thread a year or so ago) but if there was just one thing it would have to be a big improvement in noise performance and higher ISO values.

Steve
Old 20th March 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

A screen that doesn't come apart!!

David
Old 20th March 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I agree, evolution not revolution. The E-3 is an awesome bit of kit. It is also over two years old so I would just like to see it get a bit faster and tweaked ergonomically.

On the technical side:

Autofocus switch: I really liked the C-AF, S-AF, MF switch on the E1 and that camera's ergonomics so some of that added would be good.

Tracking moving subjects: A bit more AF speed and a higher practical frame rate.

Sensor: Better all round performance. I understand that the E-3 actually has a good dynamic range. Thus better low-light performance to take the "photo" out of photograph.

Battery: A proper grip like the E-1 had, rather than a holder whose ergonomics is comprimised by the two-battery requirement.

On the software side:

Croptions: Not a big one, but the option to crop photos before taking them so that we can practise composing square photos and other formats. I only ask for this because it exists.

However, past experience is that companies listening to what existing consumers ask for don't bring on new customers so we may get something different!

Nick
Old 20th March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to see a remote control sensor on the back of the camera (not just the front). A few more mega pixels would be good too, along with improved ISO & I personally would also like an intergrated battery grip. As for the price I think it should be no more than 1500
Old 20th March 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Low Light: Much improved low light capability (usable images/no noise @1600)
AEB: Lots here. Custom i.e. my choice of - setting the number of shots to take, and the steps between them. Why is it, when I can manually adjust E/V +- 3 either side of the E-3 calculated correct EV, does Olympus limit me to only +-2 EV on AEB?. Also, why can I not take three shots at +-2EV i.e. -2, 0, +2 - which would suit me better. Currently I have to take 5 if I want to bracket at +2 -2. This is only a firmware change, as the camera is capable of doing +3 and -3 as an EV compensation when in A or S... so why not add this to the functionality in AEB...? Now I know I can do this manually (but only on a tripod because of the time to adjust the settings), but I would also like the capability to set my own brackets such as -5, 0 +2 - which I'd use for sunrise/sunset compositions - so I could then use this handheld, and store in a new MyMode!.
Frame Rate: much faster please.
My Modes: more of them, and more customisable elements too.
Built in screen level: Include an on screen (viewfinder, rear and top) level indicator.

Don't need: Fancy 'Art' filters, video capability.

Thoughts...
Totally agree with the increase in iso performance - though a little higher than 1600 and 'clean' would please me.

Not sure I understand the point highlighted in red, the e-3 allows selection of a range -5 to +5 (and therefore shooting from -7 to +7 on AEB {ev increment 1, AEB 5 shots} but needs multiple bursts with a reset of base value inbetween). I'd suspect everyones shooting needs will vary so I agree more customisation of the increments (and the number of shots) is a good idea.

(as a general point though I'd council against too large steps/gaps, Photomatix needs to find a good exposure for each tone/light level if it is not to generate noise)

No need to tie up memory/process space with art filters, though if access to applying them in Master was unlocked then that would be a compromise.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 20th March 2010

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

I'm in a very small minority. I don't care about high ISO performance as I rarely shoot above ISO400. I'd rather have ISO 25 or even slower as there are times I can't get a slow enough shutter speed without cutting the light down with filters.

What I'd like is a digital version of the OM4, aperture priority and manual exposure modes and multi-spot metering. And add the level gauge of the E-30 so I don't have to use a bubble/spirit level.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.

Last edited by David M; 20th March 2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 20th March 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Not sure I understand the point highlighted in red, the e-3 allows selection of a range -5 to +5 (and therefore shooting from -7 to +7 on AEB {ev increment 1, AEB 5 shots} but needs multiple bursts with a reset of base value inbetween).
Does it????

Mine only allows max increment of 1, AEB 5 shots from -2 to +2.

OK, you can do what you suggest with tinkering, but I want it to do that without the tinkering as you cannot hand hold AEB shots if you have to tinker. It's a lot of tinkering to get -7 to +7 Nick. In fact, you can get as much as you want really using M - the display shows -5 to +5 but you can amend the shutter speed as many stops as you want (up to the limit of fastest shutter speed course).

Many of my AEB's are hand held, and it's the ability to do what I want as an AEB selection customisation that I would like.

I disagree with (or misundersand) your comment Nick, about having too large an EV step for Photomatix to work with without generating noise. I don't want the camera to limit what I want to be able to do Nick, and what Photomatix does or doesn't do - I could care less - its functionality (i.e. Photomatix) shouldn't impact camera functionality. The fact that noise may be generated in Photomatix should not stop Olympus implementing it. I have found that using the -2EV image bracket is often nowhere near enough to avoid white-out of the sun and some of its surroundings, and have sometimes (only if using a tripod at the time) taken a manual shot extremely underexposed... possibly -7 or -8 EV. Photomatix will allow you to work with any number of images at any value of EV... in fact, you can specify the EV value in Photomatix. The fact that it may introduce noise shouldn't proclude Olympus from including this functionality in any E-3 replacement firmware.

Old 20th March 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Real Time Metering - Equivalent to the OMs OTF in function.

Multi Spot Metering - Up to 8 points. Though I don't think I ever used more than 5 (most often 3 - 1 in the shadows 2 off the highlights)

I appreciate it's not at the top of everyones wish list but I used these quite a bit with the OM4Ti. The C8080WZ Has Multi Spot Metering so it should be easy to translate the subroutines across...

Please NO HD Video, I would not like to see a sensor improvement compromised just to optimise it for HD capability.

Mirror Lock-up, especially in Live View.

Adjustable grid lines to aid composition.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 21st March 2010
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Get rid of that stupid little popup flash.
Old 21st March 2010

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Bowman View Post
Get rid of that stupid little popup flash.
Unfortunately, that little popup flash is needed to trigger FL-50R in RC mode.

Steve
Old 21st March 2010
ndl0071

I would like to see the next top of the range E? to come complete with a licensed operator who knows how to use all the programmes and how and when to twiddle all the knobs and dials in the right order
Old 21st March 2010

Liked 34 Times in 12 Posts

I am looking forward to the new flagship from Olympus and all the suggestions I certainly go along with I would just like to add the control buttons could be a little bigger the double battery grip Incorporated is a excellent Idea JohnR.