Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-30

Olympus E-30 An Olympus 12.1MP upper mid-range DSLR, the E-30.

Old 6th April 2009

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Sample low light shots with the E-30

Hi all,

Here's a couple of low light shots with the E-30 taken last night around the Tower Bridge area. This was the first time I was using the E-30 (properly!). I normally use a light meter when I am shooting at night but this time I let the camera do the work. All shots taken on Aperture priority, ISO 100, tripod.

I know I'm supposed to use manual but I was feeling lazy

Tower Bridge

Cow Gate (I think!)

thx

DK
Old 6th April 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,693 Times in 768 Posts
Re: Sample low light shots with the E-30

Nice shots My only observation is that the highlights are blown. It is very difficult to retain the highlights in night scenes like this, if you want out of highlight details, so I'm not saying these are bad pictures, but I was wondering if you thought about exposing more for the highlights and post processing to bring out the shadows. That would also be a good test for noise performance and dynamic range.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 6th April 2009

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Nice shots My only observation is that the highlights are blown. It is very difficult to retain the highlights in night scenes like this, if you want out of highlight details, so I'm not saying these are bad pictures, but I was wondering if you thought about exposing more for the highlights and post processing to bring out the shadows. That would also be a good test for noise performance and dynamic range.

Ian
Ian, thx for your remarks.

Just to be absolutely clear, are you suggesting to take a spot metering on the highlights?

I've noticed the problem with the highlights myself as I have other shots where the highlights are clipped (even more than the shots I've attached). Thinking of going back at some point during the long weekend to experiment a bit more but only if it doesn't rain....

DK
Old 7th April 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkayuk View Post
Ian, thx for your remarks.

Just to be absolutely clear, are you suggesting to take a spot metering on the highlights?

I've noticed the problem with the highlights myself as I have other shots where the highlights are clipped (even more than the shots I've attached). Thinking of going back at some point during the long weekend to experiment a bit more but only if it doesn't rain....

DK
I think a spot reading of the highlights would grossly underexpose the main part of the scene, unless some judicious exposure compensation was applied. The camera's auto exposure seems to be a good starting point and I would be inclined to bracket liberally around this.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th April 2009

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Unless you want to use the zone system for normal spot metering, I'd suggest using the highlight spot meter mode and setting minus 0.3 to 0.7 exposure compensation and if used to spot meter of the buildings (not lights) brightest highlights should keep detail in the building brightest parts. Works for me when i want to keep detail in the highlights.

I also designate the AE lock button to just spot metering mode and to stay on till pressed again so i can easily shift from normal metering to spot, but that just the way
I work as i usally do a lot of backlit and high contrast work where the highlights are more important and i like to have complete control.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/