Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 11th April 2019

Liked 187 Times in 128 Posts
"Trigger finger" and photography

I seem to have developed a very painful trigger finger ( https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/trigger-finger/ ) in my right-hand ring finger, and this is affecting my grip on my camera (as well as my ability to use other fingers to control the buttons and dials). Sometimes it is so painful so suddenly and sharply that I'm struggling not to drop the camera (so I'm keeping it on the neck strap just in case).

Guess I shall have to see GP and hopefully get it sorted. (Last time I had it, on my left hand, it seemed to cure itself before it got this bad).

Is this common among photographers I wonder? Could gripping a camera be a contributing factor? And do I need perhaps to stop gripping cameras for some weeks to rest it? That would be sad.
Old 11th April 2019

Liked 3,486 Times in 1,626 Posts
Re: "Trigger finger" and photography

Not suffered your painful complaint, despite arthritis in the hands. Sounds though you have a nerve trapped or something like that.

I tend to press the shutter with the hand side of my finger, rather than the finger tip. It , for me anyway, makes for a gentler shutter release if you understand what I mean. If you use the finger tip, it can "jerk" the camera....

Not in or near the medical profession, but maybe hand exercises might help.

Hope you get it sorted, and just don't drop the beast...

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (11th April 2019)
Old 11th April 2019

Liked 2,269 Times in 1,499 Posts

That sounds a bit like Plantar Fasciitis, a foot complaint better known as Policeman's Heel.

I have suffered this several times for no obvious reason. Equally it seems to come and go without reason although steroid injections, whilst initially painful, do seem to help.

A form of repetitive strain injury also comes to mind but this seems unlikely from photography unless this is intensive.

It may be that some form of exercise might help, and to be relaxed when holding the camera. Perhaps a tripod and cable release would work?

I would say that a trip to your GP is in order.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
RobEW (11th April 2019)
Old 11th April 2019

Liked 437 Times in 213 Posts

My daughter was diagnosed and treated for this on her thumb when she was about 10yrs old. Day surgery to remove a small bump in the tendon or enlarge the sheath, no lasting after effects.
I doubt it's something caused by gripping the camera but sounds like it's definitely making it worse.
The article suggests inflamation - as does your experience with the other hand - rather than a congenital issue which is what we were told affected our daughter.

I'd suggest taking an anti-inflamatory painkiller and giving it as much rest as you can until you can speak to your GP and get a real medical opinion rather than our random thoughts.

Hope you feel better soon.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (11th April 2019), Naughty Nigel (11th April 2019)
Old 11th April 2019

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

A lot of problems like this can be due to a small knot of muscle in spasm, which tenses up the whole muscle, and thereby causing joint pain etc. The pain felt is often referred some distance away. I've found a book called The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook very helpful. It has comprehensive simple anatomical diagrams showing the referred pain, and the trigger points that cause them. In your case, I would try feeling around the mid point of the inside forearm for painful points, and then massaging them firmly and regularly. That muscle is called the flexor digitorum, but others can be responsible for trigger finger pain too. It can make it feel worse initially, but worth persevering, as it may well help. People have avoided unnecessary surgery using these techniques.

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
RobEW (11th April 2019)
Old 11th April 2019

Thanks all. I'll certainly go to GP for formal medical advice. Was posting here just to see if it's particularly common among photographers.
Old 11th April 2019

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

It's a well known problem. Your body's reacting to too many 'Buy it Now' button clicks!

Jim
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (12th April 2019), Naughty Nigel (11th April 2019), OM USer (15th April 2019), Ross the fiddler (13th April 2019)
Old 11th April 2019

:-) :-) :-)
Old 12th April 2019

Liked 700 Times in 474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
It's a well known problem. Your body's reacting to too many 'Buy it Now' button clicks!

Jim
Iíve turned the option off, I was finding the cost was stopping me buying the wine that was causing the problem in the first place!

Getting back on topic, not suffered anything similar and agree with suggestion to speak to the GP. That said, has anything changed with the camera, the way you hold things for example?
MJ224 (12th April 2019)
Old 13th April 2019

Liked 329 Times in 136 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg

I have "suffered" from it twice. "Suffered" as it wasn't at all painful. - Just very irritating.

I saw my doctor about it and he referred me to a physiotherapist, who fashioned a splint and told me to keep the finger in the splint for three months to enable the tendons to establish purchase again. Three months later, I took off the splint, but the problem was still there. - Back on for another three months and the problem was solved. I still can't straighten that finger quite as well as the others on that hand, but the difference is almost imperceptible.

Fortunately, I kept the splint and when it happened to a finger on the opposite hand, I knew exactly what to do.

What caused it? - I seem to have a problem with zippers. But the last time was in late 2012 and so I must now be doing something right.

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus XZ-2 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH
RobEW (13th April 2019)
Old 13th April 2019

Liked 1,259 Times in 720 Posts

I’ve never had a trigger finger, but I did get tennis elbow from the way I was repeatedly lifting my E-M1, 40-150 and MC-14 with my right arm (back of hand uppermost) on one of our 8-day-long safari trips in South Africa.

It took 18 months to settle down fully, and now I use 2 hands to lift gear on game drives and have had no further trouble despite now often using the heavier M1ii/300/1.4.

Repetitive overuse injuries are a right pain (literally)
I hope your problem settles down.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
RobEW (13th April 2019)