Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 26th March 2018

Liked 3,198 Times in 1,727 Posts
Pussy Willow Catkins Printing Nikkor 150mm

The catkins of this tree are one of the earliest sources of pollen for insects in the spring. The pollen is wind-blown, and thus less nutritious that that of insect-pollinated species, but still an important food source.

The lens is at its very best at 1:1 and f2.8. These shots were of catkins about 40mm and 35mm long, respectively. So, a little outside of the optimum magnification, the x1.4 TC adding magnification over that of the lens. These are full frame, uncropped images.

These catkins are very three-dimensional, making DOF at a premium. This required the orientation and focus to be selective.

The stereos are crosseyed.

A7R, Laowa Magic Shift Converter (centralised, used to widen the image circle), Nikon Printing-Nikkkor 105mm 2.8, f11 (effective f14), twin RC TTL Nissin Air flash.

Harold

MJ224 (26th March 2018), OM USer (26th March 2018), Yorkie (27th March 2018)
Old 29th March 2018

Re: Pussy Willow Catkins Printing Nikkor 150mm (Images added)

Especially for members who may be unfamiliar with such catkins, here are some more images, at lower magnification, shot with the A7R and Eyemik 200mm lens. (The Printing Nikkor is strictly macro).

Harold

MJ224 (29th March 2018)
Old 29th March 2018

Liked 214 Times in 141 Posts
Re: Pussy Willow Catkins Printing Nikkor 150mm

I notice that the photos you have shown in this thread were taken using a Sony full-frame camera. Olympus users would find several differences, arising from the 4/3 sensor.

Where you used a 200 mm lens, an Olympus camera would provide the same angle of view from a 100 mm lens but, more significantly, would provide a greater depth of field at the same f-number. This would be very noticeable on some of your catkin photos, where the shallow depth from your 200 mm lens can be seen.

I guess your macro set-up could be emulated with an Olympus camera but, surely, there would be no need for the Laowa converter, which you used to widen the image circle to suit a full-frame sensor.

Since this is an Olympus forum, I think it is worth pointing out these differences.

Last edited by MikeOxon; 29th March 2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 29th March 2018

Re: Pussy Willow Catkins Printing Nikkor 150mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
I notice that the photos you have shown in this thread were taken using a Sony full-frame camera. Olympus users would find several differences, arising from the 4/3 sensor.

Where you used a 200 mm lens, an Olympus camera would provide the same angle of view from a 100 mm lens but, more significantly, would provide a greater depth of field at the same f-number. This would be very noticeable on some of your catkin photos, where the shallow depth from your 200 mm lens can be seen.

I guess your macro set-up could be emulated with an Olympus camera but, surely, there would be no need for the Laowa converter, which you used to widen the image circle to suit a full-frame sensor.

Since this is an Olympus forum, I think it is worth pointing out these differences.
You're right about the converter. It was just a handy way of attaching the Nikon F (AI) mount lens. I have (somewhere) a plain AI mount for the A7R and should really have used it. The sunshine was a rarity in recent days and the subject, rather than the glassware, was the point of the images.

The aperture would have been chosen the show the DOF I wanted for the setup used.

I don't normally shoot images primarily for this forum but copy macro/wildlife ones from my host forum.

I also have an AI adapter for m4/3.

Harold