Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Site news

Site news Updates concerning the operation of this site.

Old 29th December 2008
Chillimonster

Re: Cameras

Further to some of the (negative) comments in this thread, and the thread i started (Christmas Day) i have asked for the other thread, with the 'offending' pictures to be removed. The thread ended up reading like a TalkPhotography thread in places (anyone who has been on there will relate to that statement), so i thought it best to take this course of action.

I will NOT be posting any more pictures from my non e-system camera on here, despite the fact that the images in question were posted with the best intentions

Chris
Old 29th December 2008

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts

I am sorry to hear that Chris.

I was going to say that I suppose the [image] content of any brand specific photo forum tends to be naturally self limiting, as owners of ‘other brands’ are unlikely to find a great deal of technical interest on alien forums. I know I certainly haven't spent much time looking at Canikon forums, even though I use a Canon Compact and a Nikon film scanner.

However, even if a handful of Canikon owners were to make a habit of posting their images here, I cannot see that it would necessarily detract from this site - just so long as they did not abuse their welcome by constantly telling us 'oh look at how wonderful my Canikon is'. After all, we can all learn from each other's photographs, regardless of which camera they were actually taken on.

My specific concern, is that as the Owner of several Olympus OM and E –System cameras, I am now uncertain as to whether I can post images from my older Olympus cameras on this forum. I would sincerely hope that everyone here is open minded enough to appreciate the merits of any photograph, whatever it was taken on; but right now I am not too sure about that.

Surely, if discretion is used, we can enjoy and learn from photographs from any type of camera; can't we?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 29th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Chris
boy it seemed you stirred up comments .I for one will still look at your photos and read your posts that i hope you will still input as well as advice ,perhaps a link in your posts to your photos may work without putting too many peoples backs up
best regards
Mick

Mick

Petroleums Hey
retired oil boiler
Old 29th December 2008
Chillimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I would sincerely hope that everyone here is open minded enough to appreciate the merits of any photograph, whatever it was taken on; but right now I am not too sure about that.

Surely, if discretion is used, we can enjoy and learn from photographs from any type of camera; can't we?
I posted the original thread with similar thoughts, but alas, it was not meant to be

The idea of the orignal post was to share some Christmas Day pictures. I merely point out the camera used in a bid to stop it being pointed out by others

However the tone of some of the replies was quite confusing, and shocked me a little. It was like some members were looking for a mine verses your type argument . I could understand some of the replies if i had asked for critique, but they were posted in Foto Fair for sharing - nothing more.

Chris
Old 29th December 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts

O.K, this is an E-System Forum so let's only discuss E-System cameras and show pictures taken on E-System cameras. Pity, because I thought it might be of passing interest to us how our cameras compare with the evolving competition. And I think the answer is, "they are comparing very well, thank you, and we have nothing to fear from any other brand." Not that it will matter in future, if we stick our heads in the sand like an ostrich (they don't, actually, but why spoil a good myth?) we won't notice if the competition leaves us behind, will we?

Oh well, I suppose I'll now have to remove pictures from my gallery taken on a Bronica (that includes my avatar) and pictures taken on my E-System cameras using legacy lenses via an adapter.

It also means we shouldn't discuss Micro Four Thirds because, even when Oly eventually release a camera in this format, it will not be an E-System camera!
Shush, don't mention P*n*s*n*c either, unless strictly in relation to the sensors used in E-System cameras!

Anyone of a sensitive disposition had better not visit my website either, because they are at risk of being offended by numerous pcitures taken on non E-System cameras! But, as it's my own site and not part of this narrowly defined forum, I'm not going to delete them!

For those that have been offended by the posting of non E-System pictures on this forum, just ask yourself this question, "Would you define yourself as an Olympus camera owner or a photographer?"

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th December 2008
Makonde

I think this is getting unnecessarily heavy. I don't think we need draconian 'rules' - just pragmatism. The purpose of the forum ("community for E-system photographers") is clear, as are the descriptions of the forum boards within the site.

Did I see anyone offended by the idea of occasional pictures from "other systems" (including other Oly cameras) posted here with a view to discussion and learning? I don't think so. It's a question of judgment - a whole raft of pix from say, a Hasselblad with no relevance drawn for comparison or some other instructive purpose would be questionable. A pic from any camera illustrating some aspect of taking portraits, say, would be perfectly OK in my view.

A little repartee is enjoyable; too much squawking in the dovecote is a pain. Let's just get on with it!
Old 30th December 2008

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Yep...lets just get on with it...as long as it has an E system connection ... however tenuous .. surely it can go in the appropriate forum ... The Lounge, well surely that can have anything in it...
...now where did I put my Fuji S20 IR ....
Old 30th December 2008

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post
I think this is getting unnecessarily heavy. I don't think we need draconian 'rules' - just pragmatism. The purpose of the forum ("community for E-system photographers") is clear, as are the descriptions of the forum boards within the site.

Did I see anyone offended by the idea of occasional pictures from "other systems" (including other Oly cameras) posted here with a view to discussion and learning? I don't think so.
My sentiments exactly: which is why I was a little taken aback to receive a PM from another forum member pointing out that one of my photographs was taken on a Nikon LS9000C camera.

(The LS9000C is of course a film scanner, which I had used to scan some Velvia trannies taken on my OM4Ti).

I can see why there may be a need to restrict competition entries (for example) to images from E – System cameras; but on second thoughts, the technical restrictions imposed on images uploaded to the gallery are such that it might actually be quite difficult to tell whether the image was indeed taken on an E?, an H2 or even a 2 MP compact.

That being the case, I would hope that our images are judged on their artistic merit, rather than by pixel peeping.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 30th December 2008

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillimonster View Post
Further to some of the (negative) comments in this thread, and the thread i started (Christmas Day) i have asked for the other thread, with the 'offending' pictures to be removed. The thread ended up reading like a TalkPhotography thread in places (anyone who has been on there will relate to that statement), so i thought it best to take this course of action.

I will NOT be posting any more pictures from my non e-system camera on here, despite the fact that the images in question were posted with the best intentions

Chris
I've watched this thread star to degenerate so feel I must comment.

I've been through all the posting in this thread and can find no negative comments as suggested by chillimonster! The other thread I have not seen.

I'm sorry but I do not see what all the fuss is about, this forum which was started for E-system users by Ian is very liberal compared to other specific user groups, I suggest you go on a Canon/Nikon DSLR user group just for that system and post images from the E-3 and expound the virtues of that camera and see what happen!

And yes we are a friendly group but there is a chance that this will degenerate into something unpleasant.

I see no reason why a image from other brands cannot be posted in a thread using a hosting link to say these are my Xmas family photos or to describe a technique in answer to a question etc,and indeed there is no reason to even mention the camera make.

As to comparing images from other cameras well general photo groups of which i am also a member is the ideal answer.

Also ask yourself if that just for your own gratification you can/ are allowed to post anything and this site degenerates into just another general photo group (and possibly and ultimately disbandment) will you like it as much and is this what Ian foresaw or Olympus sponsor it for.

These are just my thought and no one else's, all i can say is just be careful what you wish for you may just get it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 30th December 2008
E-P1 fan

Unhappy Re: Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
I've been through all the posting in this thread and can find no negative comments as suggested by chillimonster! The other thread I have not seen.I'm sorry but I do not see what all the fuss is about
Thank God! I thought I was suffering pre-senility or something. I can find nothing either!

Quote:
And yes we are a friendly group but there is a chance that this will degenerate into something unpleasant.
And how ridiculous over absolutely nothing!

Quote:
Also ask yourself if that just for your own gratification you can/ are allowed to post anything and this site degenerates into just another general photo group (and possibly ultimately disbandment) will you like it as much and is this what Ian foresaw or Olympus sponsor it for
Quite right. And Ian has enough hassles at this moment over office location without this kind of nonsense breaking out on here.

Surely we should be able to operate sensibly and with mutual respect? I felt some flak earlier this year when looking for a Canon G9. One or two members seem to view that as a heinous crime worthy of attack-dog action. I left another well-known photography publication forum to avoid exactly that kind of crudity.

Come on people - this is a great site - let's just listen to each other, read posts properly, obey the rules and make 2009 as excellent as 2008.
Old 31st December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
Come on people - this is a great site - let's just listen to each other, read posts properly, obey the rules and make 2009 as excellent as 2008.
Hear hear lets get along and keep this forum as friendly as it has been and hope it will still be

Mick

Petroleums Hey
retired oil boiler