Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 21st December 2007
Napper

Just Got an E-1

Hi guys just got an E-1 as a back up camera to my E-510, I managed to pick it up at a good price. The other main thing that I'll use it for is when it is raining too much for the 510 and I still need to get some shots done. I will more than likely be using the Zuiko 14-54 lens at these times.
Are there any default settings that I should change and also any shooting tips using this camera? I've taken a few shots and generally I'm pleased with the results. They are perhaps a little soft so should I change the noise reduction settings like I have on the 510? Looking forward for your comments and help.
Old 21st December 2007
Scapula Memory

Re: Just Got an E-1

Hi Napper,

I have been using one about a year now and by default the camera seems to give soft images. The only time I have used noise reduction was last night doing the graveyard shots, other than that the NR slows the camera right down. So for normal shoots leave it switched off. Noise not an issue until 400 or higher. If shooting jpegs then I have found +1 for sharpness and CS3 sat level to give good results. Someone I know swears by +2 sharp and +1 contrast but I suppose this is to personal taste. Mostly shoot RAW though or RAW & jpeg and do the PP. Certainly there are some very experienced E1 users here that can enlighten you more than me One thing for certain it is a joy to handle, very intuitive design and it is not bothered by rain!

If you can find the grip going cheap then definately get that, it speeds the AF up and makes the camera feel even better to hold. Looking forward to seeing some images, good luck.

regards

John.
Old 21st December 2007

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Napper

I know its old but I bet after using it it becomes you main camera and the E510 your backup.It just feels right in the hand and there still something about the colors.
My first DSLR was an E500 in then got a E1 and soon found that I was not using the E500 apart from if I wanted to travel light.
I now have an E3 and have sold the E500 but I will keep the E1 as I think its a classic..

All the best

Andy
Old 21st December 2007

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

These might be interesting for you - or they might be in the egg sucking lesson dept.

http://olympusdigitalschool.com/e-sy...e-1/index.html
there might be some useful comments in here

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/a...hp/t-2871.html

Olympus issued advice that to enable image printing with minimal change set the
Sharpness to at least +2 and the Contrast to +1

I currently cannot find the URL for this advice - I grabbed a copy of the PDF document and stored it on my machine

I also collected various tips from the DP Review forum and put them in a PDF document - PM me if you want a copy - I am not claiming it to be ground breaking or unique - just stuff that I thought worth remembering - I have just looked at it and thought I ought to re read it occasionally <g>
Old 22nd December 2007
alert_bri

Congratulations Napper, and welcome to the 'Lagging Edge Wisdom' club! lol

I was lucky to get my own E-1 + 14-54 combination not that long ago, and absolutely love it! there's never been a better time for anyone to get into full pro quality Olympus than now - with the release of the E-3, the E-1 has become the best bargain around!

Derek, thank you so much for the links to the tutorial site... very useful indeed!

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 21st January 2008
smartbox

Hey Napper,

I myself have just purchased an E-1. I am a hiker, so the weather sealing was an important factor in making my decision to purchase. So far I have to say that I am impressed with the result that I have gotten from this 5mp camera. Anyway here is a link I found regarding your question that helped me out.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12214603

Happy Shooting.
Old 21st January 2008

Liked 788 Times in 271 Posts
Talking Re: Just Got an E-1

I'm not sure of the closing date if there is one -

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=625

Regards. Barr1e
Old 21st January 2008
E-P1 fan

End of February I think.
Old 21st January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congratulations on getting an E-1. It's a fantastic camera, nicer than the E-3 IMO.
Old 21st January 2008
Xpres

Well done it is a lovely camera and I'm sure you'll find your using it more and more.
These days I use it mostly for portraiture where the lack of pixels and softness arent an issue. I always use it in RAW with all the bells and whistles switched off and use manual lenses mostly.
Old 21st January 2008
E-P1 fan

Out of interest SB how much did your E-1 cost you?