Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 7th November 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: This was predictable

Even cars are at least two generations old when you buy them new.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 7th November 2014

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Quote from one of the comments to the announcement:

"So they have now realized that the shutter shock issue is a pain in the ass and they are going to make a heavier body that can take the vibration. I sold my EM1 because of this issue. The camera is phenomenal but as someone who shoots weddings this was a joke. It should never have been released with such a problem.Other than that the lenses are fantastic and the auto focus is amazing on the EM1"

Have I missed something here

***Steve***

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 7th November 2014

Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,422 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjward View Post
This was predictable....less than a week after I buy an E-M1, rumors of a new OM-D camera.
The rumours are for an E-M5 successor so apart from the rumoured 4k video it will not be beating the E-M1 on specifications. Enjoy your E-M1 until the next generation of on chip phase detection makes an appearance when (hopefully) cross type PD will be linked to CD so it knows which way to focus the lens and whether the image is in focus without having to test it (the hunting that really messes up video). At this point we will all change our cameras.

As the owner of an E-M5 from when they first came out I woul like to think that Olympus could support those like me who helped it turn a corner with a good firmware update. Is tethering via USB possible via an update?
Old 7th November 2014

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts

It is almost inevitable (we all hope) that new models will come along, but it doesn't mean that your OMD E-M1 is any less of a good camera.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th November 2014

Liked 887 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullus View Post
Quote from one of the comments to the announcement:

"So they have now realized that the shutter shock issue is a pain in the ass and they are going to make a heavier body that can take the vibration. I sold my EM1 because of this issue. The camera is phenomenal but as someone who shoots weddings this was a joke. It should never have been released with such a problem.Other than that the lenses are fantastic and the auto focus is amazing on the EM1"

Have I missed something here

***Steve***
Exactly, never had that problem with mine and it's one of the originals

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 7th November 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Exactly, never had that problem with mine and it's one of the originals
It was rumoured to have been an issue with some E-M5s and PL5s, but greatly overstated in a certain American forum. I never knew anyone who experienced it first-hand, only anecdotally.

The moral is to never believe anything you read in a forum.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Liked This Post:
Greytop (7th November 2014)
Old 7th November 2014

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
It was rumoured to have been an issue with some E-M5s and PL5s, but greatly overstated in a certain American forum. I never knew anyone who experienced it first-hand, only anecdotally.

The moral is to never believe anything you read in a forum.
I have been using my EM5 for over a year, and by necessity have to shot a lot of technical images in poor lighting conditions. I prefer to use longer exposures than high ISO speeds, and regularly shoot at 1/30 second and slower hand held.

I have probably shot upwards of 10,000 images over that time, mostly with the Zuiko 12 ~ 40 lens and the 12 ~ 50 before it, and have never seen any evidence of this so called 'shutter shock'.

Maybe I am lucky, or maybe I have steady hands, but I would have thought that if anybody would see this effect I would.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th November 2014

Liked 325 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I have probably shot upwards of 10,000 images over that time, mostly with the Zuiko 12 ~ 40 lens and the 12 ~ 50 before it, and have never seen any evidence of this so called 'shutter shock'.

Maybe I am lucky, or maybe I have steady hands, but I would have thought that if anybody would see this effect I would.
From memory this shutter shock seemed to happen somewhere about 1/120 - 1/250sec. I noticed it and now predominately shoot single shot with the diamond (anti-shock). All I can say is that Olympus must also have seen it and were able to reproduce it and hence issued a firmware fix.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 8th November 2014

Liked 887 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
From memory this shutter shock seemed to happen somewhere about 1/120 - 1/250sec. I noticed it and now predominately shoot single shot with the diamond (anti-shock). All I can say is that Olympus must also have seen it and were able to reproduce it and hence issued a firmware fix.
E-M5 or E-M1?
Actually come to think of it I've never experienced it with my E-M1 either

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 8th November 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,459 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Just remember that ALL electronic stuff a outdated model when you pay the bill. It's considered USED, Preowned...
....... and obsolete!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (8th November 2014)
Old 8th November 2014
Administrator

I think that shutter shock is a bit like the Afterlife; it only exists if you believe in it!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (8th November 2014), Ricoh (8th November 2014), StephenL (8th November 2014)
Old 8th November 2014

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

I just looked at a selection of EM-5 images on LR ISO 200, Shutter 1/125- 1/250 all F5.0.
Apart from my inability to point the focus point at the right place they all look sharp at the 1:1 zoom in LR. One in particular was incredibly detailed magnified on the 2:1 setting, however my cousin Maureen would not appreciate her face being examined that closely so I wont post it!
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 8th November 2014

Liked 325 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I think that shutter shock is a bit like the Afterlife; it only exists if you believe in it!
All I can say is Olympus believe in it. In the menu go to Gears E Anti-shock and the info button explains "reduces camera blur caused by shutter release". On the EM1 this seems to be to do with the first curtain switching from electronic shutter to mechanical. My memory failed me in my previous post as it seems that it affected shutter speeds below 1/320sec.

Unexplained blurred images was an issue for some back before version 1.3 update (March 2014) and was covered in http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...nti+shock+mode

Just because folk have not experienced this does not mean to say it did not exist or that it was a figment of ones imagination. There were so many issue when the EM1 first came out and one explanation was that the camera needed to be run-in.

This might be a bit off topic for this thread other than to point out that if and when the next model of the E system flag ship camera comes out those that can wait will benefit from the pioneers who buy it on pre-order. So I would still say that for some this next model is 2 years away.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 8th November 2014

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Like a quantum affect, I like it. That sorts it out in my mind!
Is Richard Dawkins a member? He'd sort it out one way or another, possibly!

on flickr
Old 8th November 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
All I can say is Olympus believe in it. In the menu go to Gears E Anti-shock and the info button explains "reduces camera blur caused by shutter release". On the EM1 this seems to be to do with the first curtain switching from electronic shutter to mechanical. My memory failed me in my previous post as it seems that it affected shutter speeds below 1/320sec.

Unexplained blurred images was an issue for some back before version 1.3 update (March 2014) and was covered in http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...nti+shock+mode

Just because folk have not experienced this does not mean to say it did not exist or that it was a figment of ones imagination. There were so many issue when the EM1 first came out and one explanation was that the camera needed to be run-in.

This might be a bit off topic for this thread other than to point out that if and when the next model of the E system flag ship camera comes out those that can wait will benefit from the pioneers who buy it on pre-order. So I would still say that for some this next model is 2 years away.
Yes, I was being a bit flippant and as you say, even Olympus have acknowleged the issue. The reason why I, personally, haven't experienced the problem with my E-M5 is probably because I tent to shoot handheld at higher speeds anyway, due to my own problems with holding a camera still. Also, it is quite possible that some individual cameras are affected more than others.