Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 4th October 2015

Liked 1,259 Times in 720 Posts
Re: WARNING: E-M1 Camera body eyelet has come away from camera body!

There are rare reports of the tripod mount pulling out of OMDs, so a bit of care even with a BlackRapid strap is recommended.

With the 40-150 on a sling strap I always use the lens foot mount, although sometimes if I'm using it on a monopod I have been known to add a sling strap in the body socket to carry lens, body and 'pod around, and from now on if I do that I think I'll add a thin nylon safety loop to one of the strap lugs.

Having just ordered a 7-14 f2.8 I'll note your experience, too!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 4th October 2015

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

It will be under the Pro warranty and will have to go to Portugal. Check your Pro warranty details for what you have to do and the number you have to ring.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 6th October 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
It will be under the Pro warranty and will have to go to Portugal. Check your Pro warranty details for what you have to do and the number you have to ring.
Hi Dave, Is the Pro Warranty for Lifetime or Time Limited? From what I read I have 12 month plus an additional 6 month. However I am out of that 18 month time period.
I have applied for repair online, received a repairs number and are to return the product. However there is no indication at this stage if the repair is FOC or what the charge will be. As the eyelet issue is selectable from a drop down menu on their website it is obviously a known issue which would have a standard fix I would therefore expect they could offer an estimate prior to shipping. I get the impression they just want us to send in the goods then quote once they have the product. I will email them in the morning for some advice.

mg
Old 6th October 2015

Liked 1,452 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgent View Post
Hi Dave, Is the Pro Warranty for Lifetime or Time Limited? From what I read I have 12 month plus an additional 6 month. However I am out of that 18 month time period.
I have applied for repair online, received a repairs number and are to return the product. However there is no indication at this stage if the repair is FOC or what the charge will be. As the eyelet issue is selectable from a drop down menu on their website it is obviously a known issue which would have a standard fix I would therefore expect they could offer an estimate prior to shipping. I get the impression they just want us to send in the goods then quote once they have the product. I will email them in the morning for some advice.

mg
I may be wrong however, I think the original warranty on the E-M1 was for 2 years, you then qualified for an additional 6 months when you registered the product with Olympus.

I purchased mine in October '13 and it was in warranty until April '16, I've now also purchased the additional 3 year extended warranty so it 's now covered until 2019.

I hope this helps.

Dave
Old 6th October 2015

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

Dave, you are correct. I have just checked my registration on the MyOlympus website. The standard warranty is for 2 years with an additional 6 months on registration.

If mrgent checks his status on the MyOlympus website he will find how long his warranty lasts and also details of the Pro Warranty.
DavyG (6th October 2015)
Old 6th October 2015

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayewing View Post
Dave, you are correct. I have just checked my registration on the MyOlympus website. The standard warranty is for 2 years with an additional 6 months on registration.

If mrgent checks his status on the MyOlympus website he will find how long his warranty lasts and also details of the Pro Warranty.
Beat me to it. I have just over six months left of mine. My sensor problem in July has not happened again but I wish it would. Sods law says it will next summer

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 6th October 2015

Liked 1,452 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Beat me to it. I have just over six months left of mine. My sensor problem in July has not happened again but I wish it would. Sods law says it will next summer
Up until now, I've had no problems with my E-M1 however, I did take out the additional 3 year extended warranty with Olympus.

I think the cost of 99.00 for 3 additional years is well worth it, especially with the known problems.

Coincidentally, I was preparing my camera gear today for my next trip out and noticed that the right hand eyelet appears to be working loose and is moving, the other eyelet is rock solid.

I need the camera for the weekend but it looks like I'll be arranging for it to take a trip to Portugal next week before the eyelet comes out completely.

Dave
Old 6th October 2015

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

BAnother purchase of an extended warranty here, I think it is worth getting as there are still some niggles. The web site is working again I was able to check my registered kit today I see they have changed the layout.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 7th October 2015

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I noticed that someone asked if there were similar issues with E-M5 models and if the fitments were the same; short of someone doing a tear-down of their camera or reports of the flaw occurring on this model I guess we'll not know - hope it doesn't happen to me - or to anyone else for that matter and for the unlucky E-M1 owners out of warranty, please let us know of outcomes good or not-so-good

David
Old 10th October 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorted Re: WARNING: E-M1 Camera body eyelet has come away from camera body!

Not having a warranty and read Oly have a minimum repair price around 180 TBC. I decided to take a look inside the camera to see if a home repair was viable. My issue is the right hand eyelet. The left hand eyelet looks to involve more work and is not covered in my investigations.

Anyway to cut a long story short ive sorted the problem myself and provide a write up here. It was not too difficult and given this gained knowledge will be very easy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/364240...57659697927425

Please read the descriptions to all photos to get an overall understanding before commencing.

Tools needed: Jewellers driver of the correct size? tweezers , nail varnish or thread lock.

enjoy, and dont blame me if it all goes wrong, ohh and remove the battery before ye start.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrgent For This Useful Post:
Otto (4 Weeks Ago), Wee man (2nd April 2019)
Old 10th October 2015

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

Thanks for your breakdown, hope I do not need it. Makes the 99 for 3 year extended warranty seem good value.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 11th October 2015

Thanked 1,402 Times in 1,294 Posts
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,108 Posts

Really good to see the details, very interesting, thanks for posting Michael. Wood I attempt the repair? not sure, I think the value of the camera would have to drop a lot for me to do it. Hope I never have to make the decision.
Old 11th October 2015

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts
Re: Sorted Re: WARNING: E-M1 Camera body eyelet has come away from camera body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgent View Post
Not having a warranty and read Oly have a minimum repair price around 180 TBC. I decided to take a look inside the camera to see if a home repair was viable. My issue is the right hand eyelet. The left hand eyelet looks to involve more work and is not covered in my investigations.

Anyway to cut a long story short ive sorted the problem myself and provide a write up here. It was not too difficult and given this gained knowledge will be very easy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/364240...57659697927425

Please read the descriptions to all photos to get an overall understanding before commencing.

Tools needed: Jewellers driver of the correct size? tweezers , nail varnish or thread lock.

enjoy, and dont blame me if it all goes wrong, ohh and remove the battery before ye start.
GULP! Rather you than me but as the originator of this thread it's really interesting to see your carefully planned and recorded work as well as the innards of our wonderful E-M1s. Thanks!
Chris
Old 19th January 2019

Liked 93 Times in 53 Posts

Update Jan 2019.
I was recently offered an EM1 mk1 with missing strap mount for a fairly low price (240) and low shutter count (11K) so investigated cost of fix.
Luton Cameras could not help as part was out of stock and Olympus(UK) informed me that the part was now obsolete (after 5 years !) and unobtainable.
Seems like support for repairs on this camera are not very good.
David
Old 19th January 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewi9 View Post
Update Jan 2019.
I was recently offered an EM1 mk1 with missing strap mount for a fairly low price (240) and low shutter count (11K) so investigated cost of fix.
Luton Cameras could not help as part was out of stock and Olympus(UK) informed me that the part was now obsolete (after 5 years !) and unobtainable.
Seems like support for repairs on this camera are not very good.
David
For 240 I'd consider using a wrist strap. As long as there are no signs of the camera being dropped, bent etc.

on flickr