Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 304 Times in 126 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: Batteries for OM-D EM-1

My Expro charger has an output of 8.4v +/- 0.05v and a current of 600mA +/- 50mA. The Oly one says 8.7v 0.6A so both are above the battery's rated voltage but have the same charging current. I wouldn't have both were it not for the fact that I often need to charge the battery off a 12v supply, which Oly chargers don't do.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 23rd October 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonknee View Post
However my wireless radiator valve controllers (Conrad FS20 system if you care) does not like 1.2V AA and intermittently loses communication. I have to use Alkaline batteries with the full 1.5V. Luckily they last a full year in this low power application.

Simon
That's an interesting insight. I don't have remote control rad valves (sniff!) but I can see I'll have to be vigilant for potential other systems.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Oh that's not good. Can't really call them "clone" batteries unless they have the same voltage rating. Different mAh just says how long they will last for. At least a low voltage should not damage your camera but if they were sold as BLN-1 clones then these should go back to ExPro as not suitable for purpose.
Co-incidentally, I have a package waiting to return recently bought unused Ex-Pro 7.2v batteries, to then replace them with the new white series Ex-Pro 7.6v batteries.
As you say, to me it makes sense to have a 'clone' that is as close as possible to being a clone! Luckily the new white series Ex-Pro batteries seem to address this issue, hence the reason to bring them to the attention of new E-M1 owners on the hunt for batteries, originals or clones.

One further point, there seem to be mixed stories in the various other internet sources as to whether the 'old' Ex-Pro BLN-1 could be charged in the Olympus charger - if not, why was this? and will it be the same with the new White Series battery?

And thank you to the others for also adding to this post, as it all adds to our understanding of the importance of careful choice about a key part to the camera.

Regards
Chris
Old 23rd October 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
One further point, there seem to be mixed stories in the various other internet sources as to whether the 'old' Ex-Pro BLN-1 could be charged in the Olympus charger - if not, why was this? and will it be the same with the new White Series battery?

Regards
Chris
Why this was I don't know. But it's true. I presume Olympus batteries are "chipped" and it's taken the 3rd party manufacturers a while to decode this and apply the code to their batteries.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
My Expro charger has an output of 8.4v +/- 0.05v and a current of 600mA +/- 50mA. The Oly one says 8.7v 0.6A so both are above the battery's rated voltage but have the same charging current. I wouldn't have both were it not for the fact that I often need to charge the battery off a 12v supply, which Oly chargers don't do.
Chargers these days are "smart" so these figures do not tell the full story. The chargers are capable of modifying both the current and voltage supplied to the battery under charge. This is so that the user gets the fastest charge combined with the longest life in the battery whilst making sure that safe conditions, such as internal battery temperature, are maintained.

Basically you should have a charger designed to charge the battery in question. The Olympus BLN-1 is a great unit, well designed and I'm sure will give the optimum performance and longevity of the batteries. The ExPro units are of cheaper construction. They also make a range of standard base units and fit a different top plate depending on which battery it has been purchased to charge. They do the job especially where more flexibilty is required. However (pure speculation coming up) they may not have such subtle battery monitoring and conditioning systems as the OEM unit. This may result in a shortened operating life for batteries charged with them (speculation finished). In practice I suspect 9 out of 10 cats won't notice the difference. I'm going to get one as I want the twin charger version!

Simon
Old 23rd October 2013

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Co-incidentally, I have a package waiting to return recently bought unused Ex-Pro 7.2v batteries, to then replace them with the new white series Ex-Pro 7.6v batteries...
I also have the 7.2V grey ones from Expro (unchipped so do not work in Oly charger) which I have used in my E-M5 for over a year. I guess they won't take them back now but the new "white" ones seem like a good replacement if I need more. My expro charger is the LCD display version that I got at the time - I hope that the new batteries (if I get any) will charge in the old charger as I wouldn't want to carry 2 chargers around with me.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone about comparisons between the grey 7.2V and the white 7.6V versions.
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts

According to the ExPro site, the chipped grey have the same spec as the white:

grey: http://www.exprodirect.com/product.p...7&cat=0&page=1

white: http://www.exprodirect.com/product.p...1&cat=0&page=1

I bought a couple of the chipped grey version shortly after ordering an E-M1... guess I'll see how they perform soon (!).

Steve.
The Following User Says Thank You to raichea For This Useful Post:
George Dorn (27th October 2013)
Old 23rd October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
According to the ExPro site, the chipped grey have the same spec as the white:

grey: http://www.exprodirect.com/product.p...7&cat=0&page=1

white: http://www.exprodirect.com/product.p...1&cat=0&page=1

I bought a couple of the chipped grey version shortly after ordering an E-M1... guess I'll see how they perform soon (!).

Steve.
The recent grey ones state 7.2v
Customer Image Gallery for Ex-Pro® Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 [CHIPPED EXACT] High Power Plus+ 2 Year Warranty Replacement Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for Olympus OM-D E-M5, EM5 Customer Image Gallery for Ex-Pro® Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 [CHIPPED EXACT] High Power Plus+ 2 Year Warranty Replacement Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for Olympus OM-D E-M5, EM5
and this is what I was supplied with. These were supplied within the last month from Ex-Pro via Amazon, hence my reason to change to the updated version.
I think that the Ex-Pro site also showed the same 7.2v battery in the last few days but presume that it has now been upgraded - though, why have a two versions of the same battery unless one is now chipped differently? Any answers anyone?
Whichever way, they look to be a good clone if cost is important.

Regards
Chris

Last edited by catkins; 23rd October 2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: is = if
Old 23rd October 2013

Quote:
The recent grey ones state 7.2v Customer Image Gallery for Ex-Pro® Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 [CHIPPED EXACT] High Power Plus+ 2 Year Warranty Replacement Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for Olympus OM-D E-M5, EM5 and this is what I was supplied with. These were supplied within the last month from Ex-Pro via Amazon, hence my reason to change to the updated version.
I think that the Ex-Pro site also showed the same 7.2v battery in the last few days but presume that it has now been upgraded - though, why have a two versions of the same battery unless one is now chipped differently? Any answers anyone?
Whichever way, they look to be a good clone is cost is important.

Regards
Chris
I doubt very much that they've actually changed the battery. I bought some of these from Amazon, too, and (having just checked), they are labelled as 7.2V. Out of interest, I measured their voltages - both were at 7.69V (as shipped). I wouldn't be surprised if the voltage dropped down to a steady 7.2V after a little use. Freshly charged batteries are usually higher than nominal.
Old 24th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
I doubt very much that they've actually changed the battery. I bought some of these from Amazon, too, and (having just checked), they are labelled as 7.2V. Out of interest, I measured their voltages - both were at 7.69V (as shipped). I wouldn't be surprised if the voltage dropped down to a steady 7.2V after a little use. Freshly charged batteries are usually higher than nominal.
Did you test the batteries hooked up to the camera (or a test circuit drawing a small current)? The internal resistance of the battery means that under load the output voltage will be lower than that tested soley by a high impedance volt meter across the terminals.
Old 24th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Did you test the batteries hooked up to the camera (or a test circuit drawing a small current)? The internal resistance of the battery means that under load the output voltage will be lower than that tested soley by a high impedance volt meter across the terminals.
The measurements were open circuit. I'm aware of the consequences of the internal impedance of batteries - it's pretty low for Li-Ion, but you could still lose 0.2-0.5V with sufficient current draw.

That said, the standard cell voltage for Li-Ion appears to be 3.6-3.7V, which explains, the 7.2V rating (2 cells in series)... not sure how you'd get 7.6V, but I guess you might measure that after a fresh charge.
Old 24th October 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

The thick plottens...

I bought a pair of the "chipped" ExPro from Amazon. However now I actually bother to look at them are labelled 7.2V on a white label. Some testing is required...
Note: they charge fine in the BCN-1 therefore they are as "chipped" as they need to be.

Voltage:
To test voltage you really need to put a battery under load. Just checking with a multi-meter on it's own and the battery is not doing any real "work". That said these lithium battery will not sag very much.

Did some tests with batteries freshly topped up by the BCN-1 charger.

BLN-1 fully charged no load: 8.1V
BLN-1 fully charged 1.3W load: 8V
BLN-1 fully charged 5.7W load: 7.9V

ExPro "7.2" fully charged no load: 8V
ExPro "7.2" fully charged 1.3W load: 7.9V
ExPro "7.2" fully charged 5.7W load: 7.7V

(I used high wattage, low ohm resistors to provide the load. Please don't try this at home unless you know what you are doing).

So from a fully charged point of view There is no discernible difference. The "7.2V" written on my ExPro is a misnomer since even under a pretty extreme load it managed to exceed the required voltage for the EM-1.

Next will be to see how the battery fairs as it discharges. My hunch at the moment based on some partially used batteries is that the OEM battery will hold a higher voltage for longer. I will try and devise a discharge test and hopefully plot the result as it goes. Need to do some research on this first.

I am also going to order up some of the white batteries as I need more anyway and can then compare results.

Simon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simonknee For This Useful Post:
Melaka (25th October 2013), OM USer (24th October 2013), raichea (24th October 2013)
The Following User Liked This Post:
raichea (24th October 2013)
Old 24th October 2013

Quote:
The thick plottens...

Simon
I've considered creating a battery testing rig several times, but my list of pending projects is already too long, hence the quick'n'dirty voltage measurements.

Thanks for digging out some load resistors and giving some useful data.
Old 24th October 2013

Quote:
... now I actually bother to look at them are labelled 7.2V on a white label.

Simon, thanks for the testing. If I buy 7.2V batteries and they come labelled as 7.2V then that is okay but to buy 7.6V batteries (as stated on web site) and have them labelled 7.2V is a disgrace. There was an outcry with the initial ExPro BLN-1 unchipped grey batteries as both Amazon and the ExPro website claimed they were fully compatable. After many people returned them claiming trades description violations they dropped the "fully compatable" claim and stated that you needed their own charger.
The Following User Liked This Post:
simonknee (24th October 2013)
Old 24th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Simon, thanks for the testing. If I buy 7.2V batteries and they come labelled as 7.2V then that is okay but to buy 7.6V batteries (as stated on web site) and have them labelled 7.2V is a disgrace. There was an outcry with the initial ExPro BLN-1 unchipped grey batteries as both Amazon and the ExPro website claimed they were fully compatable. After many people returned them claiming trades description violations they dropped the "fully compatable" claim and stated that you needed their own charger.
As I understand it the batteries that he got from Amazon/Ex-Pro shopfront were supplied as 7.2v as per the battery description at the time, and it is only in the last few days that the Ex-Pro website has started listing the grey Ex-Pro battery as now being 7.6v.
Additionally Ex-Pro have recently started supplying a 'White Series' 7.6v battery - initially it seemed that this was a replacement or upgrade for the 7.2v grey Ex-Pro battery, but the water has been muddied somewhat by the grey battery now also becoming a 7.6v battery.
So, with a 2 difference in price between grey and white, what is the difference between the two that makes the white a good buy for the E-M1?

And thanks Simon for the testing - it makes interesting reading.
Regards
Chris