Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 12th September 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,113 Posts
Submission to official Olympus gallery?

In a seperate thread on FTU, comment has been passed on the merits or otherwise of certain inclusions in the official Olympus Gallery. It's been suggested that, with the talent that we have on the two sites, we should compile a submission for the Olympus Gallery drawn from the best that FTU and E-System User have to offer.

If this idea is to go ahead, what I really need is a team of, say, six volunteers on each forum to sift through the member's galleries and select the best examples from a wide range of subjects, to be presented on both forums as a shortlist from which all members are invited to vote to select the final choices.

Time would, of course, be allowed for members to upload their best work to their gallery, if they haven't already done so. Exif info would be required to confirm images originated from an Olympus camera.

I think we should aim for a final submission of about 30 images. Submission of any image would, of course, be subject to the express permission of the author. Any image that failed to gain this permission would simply have to be replaced.

What I would like to ask first is:-

1) Do you have any ideas, suggestions or comments?

2)Are there any volunteers to sift through the galleries?

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th September 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Submission to official Olympus gallery?

Good idea for a project.
Have you got a link to the galleries that the original poster mentioned?
Old 13th September 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Great suggestion John.

Though this particular thought may create some additional work, perhaps we should also consider looking not just at members galleries on here or FTU - as some people don't necessarily upload many of their images to the galleries on e-group or FTU, but we should also somehow consider members who use their own gallery space or web site instead.

How should we consider those members, after all they have just as much right to be considered as members who upload images to here...?

Difficult one I am sure, and certainly creates some additional work.

Old 13th September 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,691 Times in 767 Posts

In light of this most excellent suggestion, I have noticed that there are usually few, if any, Olympus taken images in the Amateur Photographer magazine APOY and readers gallery features. It would be good if we could encourage more submissions...

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 13th September 2008

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

I think that is a very good idea and one which John P has been suggesting for sometime. However for those of us who have never been published in anything the thought is rather daunting. Perhaps those with expertese could give some guidance as to which images might get published, themes etc and anything else which would give us a better chance of having images chosen for publication. For example, is it a good idea to send in some text, the story behind the picture?
I am definitely going to look through my mags, upload one or two and see what happens...anyone else up for the challenge? You never know it might kick start a new career
Shirley
Old 13th September 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've been lucky enough to have a fair bit published and would be happy to give a few tips. I'll put something together and add it to this thread.
Old 13th September 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
In light of this most excellent suggestion, I have noticed that there are usually few, if any, Olympus taken images in the Amateur Photographer magazine APOY and readers gallery features. It would be good if we could encourage more submissions...

Ian
The old adage of "Get them while they are young" should also be mentioned to Olympus, such that they recognise the Young Photographers, with their own Gallery space.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 13th September 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

There are lots of photography magazines – all of them need pictures. If you don't send anything off, you won't get anything in.

Many have readers' gallery features or critique pages. These are probably the easiest to get photos in. Buy the magazine and look on its web site to see what opportunities they offer.

They will usually tell you how they want to receive submissions – some want email, most want on cd by post. Follow their submission guidelines, make it easy for them to use your photos.

Formats vary, but most will want TIFF/Adobe RGB/300ppi flattened images, on a mac/pc compatible or ISO 9660 CD. Don't include a slideshow etc. just have the photos at the root level. Include either prints or a caption sheet with thumbnail images, Put your name, address, email address and phone number on the back of the prints and CD.

For a photography magazine, put all the technical info camera/lens/exposure etc. and a description of what it is and where it was taken. Some like a mug shot of the photographer, so at least have one ready.

If you want the stuff back, enclose an sae. It's not usually worth having things sent back – but it does let you know if there's no chance of them being used.

A lot of magazines don't bother telling you if they are going to publish you photos, so check each new issue.

Only send in your best stuff – don't send in 6 different versions of the same image. Get someone to help you edit. Send about 12 pictures at a time. Most magazines probably get inundated with landscapes, so other subjects will stand out. If they've just had a feature on say funfairs, they won't want loads more funfair pictures for a while. They will also work a few months in advance, so 1st December is too late to be submitting Christmas photos.

Don't forget magazines such as Olympus User, which aren't on sale in shops, but would love to see photos from Olympus users.

Keep records of what you send to who. Don't get downhearted if they don't get published.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 13th September 2008
Administrator

I've just sent this e-mail to Olympus UK to check that they would be receptive to a submission:-

Hi,

I'm an active member on two dedicated websites, http://e-group.uk.net/ and http://fourthirds-user.com/. I think that collectively the members of these two sites have many images that would not look out of place in the Olympus Image Gallery and would enhance it considerably.

I've mooted the idea of making a submission of selected images from these two sites on the forums and this has been met with great enthusiasm. Could you please advise me if Olympus would be receptive to receiving a submission from these sites and, if so, how it should be presented.

We are keen to play our part in helping to promote the excellent E-System series of DSLR cameras and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

John Perriment

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th September 2008

Well done John I think that is very exciting. Lets hope they are receptive, I think it would be very short sighted of them if they weren't. At least they should have a look.
Old 14th September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD View Post
There are lots of photography magazines all of them need pictures. If you don't send anything off, you won't get anything in.

Many have readers' gallery features or critique pages. These are probably the easiest to get photos in. Buy the magazine and look on its web site to see what opportunities they offer.

They will usually tell you how they want to receive submissions some want email, most want on cd by post. Follow their submission guidelines, make it easy for them to use your photos.

Formats vary, but most will want TIFF/Adobe RGB/300ppi flattened images, on a mac/pc compatible or ISO 9660 CD. Don't include a slideshow etc. just have the photos at the root level. Include either prints or a caption sheet with thumbnail images, Put your name, address, email address and phone number on the back of the prints and CD.

For a photography magazine, put all the technical info camera/lens/exposure etc. and a description of what it is and where it was taken. Some like a mug shot of the photographer, so at least have one ready.

If you want the stuff back, enclose an sae. It's not usually worth having things sent back but it does let you know if there's no chance of them being used.

A lot of magazines don't bother telling you if they are going to publish you photos, so check each new issue.

Only send in your best stuff don't send in 6 different versions of the same image. Get someone to help you edit. Send about 12 pictures at a time. Most magazines probably get inundated with landscapes, so other subjects will stand out. If they've just had a feature on say funfairs, they won't want loads more funfair pictures for a while. They will also work a few months in advance, so 1st December is too late to be submitting Christmas photos.

Don't forget magazines such as Olympus User, which aren't on sale in shops, but would love to see photos from Olympus users.

Keep records of what you send to who. Don't get downhearted if they don't get published.

Hope this is of some help.
Yes thank you that is helpful.
One more question,is it OK to send the same image to several magazines, although unlikely, I imagine they wouldnt be very pleased if they saw an image from one magazine appear in another. What is the protocol here?
Thanks
Old 14th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Yes thank you that is helpful.
One more question,is it OK to send the same image to several magazines, although unlikely, I imagine they wouldnt be very pleased if they saw an image from one magazine appear in another. What is the protocol here?
Thanks
Hi Shirley,

It's O.K. to send to several magazines provided they are not in the same sector, for example your recent winning shot in the FTU Music Salon could be sent to a photography magazine and a music magazine, but not to two photography magazines at the same time. If you had the same shot published simultaneously in say, Practical Photography and Photography Monthly, you might find that neither magazine would use your work again for a long time!

However, it is acceptable to send pictures to a magazine that have previously been published in a rival magazine.

But you've no need to worry, Shirley - you've got plenty of excellent pictures to share around all the photographic magazines without repeating yourself for a long time!

Old 14th September 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I think it's OK to send the same shots to different photo magazines – what's a definite no-no is the same article.
If you can write as well, or tie things to a news item, say an exhibition, you might have an even better chance. Also don't forget competitions.