Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 23rd August 2008

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Refreshing?

Been playing in the kitchen and produced this composite. I would be grateful for any thoughts.

Old 23rd August 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Re: Refreshing?

I first saw this type of triple image picture at an exhibition in the V&A. You have to view it as a single image, despite there being obviously 3 distinct images.

The picture, as a whole, often depicts the passage of time or changes be they subtle or gross.

This is a really good example of another technique and shows to great effect the way images can be used to form a picture.

Very well done, I don't think we have been presented with this type of picture before.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 23rd August 2008

Thank you Graham, it created a bit of a mess in the kitchen but it was good fun. I hope to try a similar idea with red wine, so I will need to perfect the technique first as I will only have limited supplies!
Old 23rd August 2008
Administrator

If you are going to try colour, then pop to Tesco and buy the Value Brand refill ink and use that to give you colours. Try also using cheap cooking oil, lemonade, etc., to get different "flows" and effects.

Of course I'd never put you off using wine but the more you do the less well focused they become... Can't begin to think why

Have fun, look forward to seeing the results.

Old 23rd August 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
If you are going to try colour, then pop to Tesco and buy the Value Brand refill ink and use that to give you colours. Try also using cheap cooking oil, lemonade, etc., to get different "flows" and effects.

Of course I'd never put you off using wine but the more you do the less well focused they become... Can't begin to think why

Have fun, look forward to seeing the results.

All sounds very messy

Good luck

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 25th August 2008
fulhamphil

Hi Shirley, a nice set of images, the effort was well worthwhile. Your passion for photography is very evident, you're not afraid to attempt anything, keep it up, look forward to your posts, regards, Phil.
Old 27th August 2008

Thank you Phil,
I just enjoy this hobby of ours and find that seeing others work really spurs me on to do better. One of the advantages of digital is that it costs nothing to try something out, you should see some of the other rubbish I have produced, then occasionally I take a pic that seems to work at one level or another.
One thing that always interests me is how the same image can elicit such a wide range of responses from different people. I am also learning that an image can work on so many different levels, it can be technically perfect but fail to elicit any emotional response from the viewer and end up being a 'so what' picture! Then of course there are the pics that break all the rules but seem to work.
That is why I find this hobby is so interesting and yet so frustrating.
Old 27th August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
I am also learning that an image can work on so many different levels, it can be technically perfect but fail to elicit any emotional response from the viewer and end up being a 'so what' picture! Then of course there are the pics that break all the rules but seem to work.
That is why I find this hobby is so interesting and yet so frustrating.
You are absolutly right. A technically perfect image of a Rat eating a dead pigeon will almost never win in a competition where there is a "Phone Snap" of Red Squirrel with a nut in its paws

But again, as you so rightly say, that's what makes it all so interesting.