Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 14th June 2013

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Olympus BLN-1 Battery for OM-D

Hi, I am after one of these as a spare as I often run out just thought id try on here before buying new.
Thanks
Raj
Old 15th June 2013

Liked 295 Times in 147 Posts
Re: Olympus BLN-1 Battery for OM-D

Here is a link for the BLN-1 at a good price £10.97 can also be charged in the Olympus Charger. I've just bought two of them recently and they are performing as good as the BLN-1 original.

Hope this helps at this price it's a no brainer not to get them.

Ex-Pro® Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 High Power Plus+ 2 Year: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Ex-Pro® Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 High Power Plus+ 2 Year: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
The Following User Says Thank You to tomphotofx For This Useful Post:
raj (21st June 2013)
Old 15th June 2013

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Genuine Oly batteries are stupid money. Third party ones are cheap as chips and as good in my opinion.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 15th June 2013

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Hi do these ex-pro work with the original charger as I know earlier there were issues where people had to buy a second charger?
Old 15th June 2013

Liked 295 Times in 147 Posts

The one's I mention above do, check out the full spec on Amazon.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 21st June 2013

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Hi, I ended up getting a couple of these couldn't really go wrong for the price thanks for the advice :-)
Raj
The Following User Says Thank You to raj For This Useful Post:
tomphotofx (21st June 2013)
Old 21st June 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,459 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Many 3rd party BLN-1 batteries do not work in the original Olympus charger, but that's no problem as there are many great deals for batteries with 3rd party charger. The Olympus batteries do work in these chargers so it's not really an issue. Regarding performance, I can't tell the difference. I have a total of 6 batteries, only one of which is Olympus.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st June 2013

Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,422 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

I have the original EXPRO batteries that do NOT charge in the Oly charger, even though the Amazon and Expro websites said they did at the time. After some complaints they modified the website descriptions.
The latest Expro batteries have markings for all 5 terminals, the Expro originals only had markings for 3 of the 5 terminals. The website description now includes the word "chipped".
Having 4 of the older batteries I am reluctant to invest in the newer ones unless a need arises. The Expro charger is perfectly satisfactory (although it may not charge the higher voltage Olympus OEM battery to 100%) and has the ability to charge from a 12V supply.
Old 21st June 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

The latest version of the ExPro batteries DO charge in the Olympus charger. I took delivery of one this week, and it's working fine.

However, externally it looks identical to the earlier version I have, so I have to mark them as to which charger to use. (I prefer the Oly charger for no real reason)

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 21st June 2013

Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,422 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
The latest version of the ExPro batteries... looks identical to the earlier version I have
Interesting. I was comparing my older unchipped Expro batteries to the ones in the picture on the Amazon website. So do your batteries have markings on all 5 terminals or only 3?
Old 21st June 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Interesting. I was comparing my older unchipped Expro batteries to the ones in the picture on the Amazon website. So do your batteries have markings on all 5 terminals or only 3?
Hmm. I hadn't noticed before, but the "new" battery has markings for all 5 contact points, whereas the "old" only has them for 3.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 21st June 2013

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Many 3rd party BLN-1 batteries do not work in the original Olympus charger, but that's no problem as there are many great deals for batteries with 3rd party charger. The Olympus batteries do work in these chargers so it's not really an issue. Regarding performance, I can't tell the difference. I have a total of 6 batteries, only one of which is Olympus.
I Couldn't imagine buying 6 originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Hmm. I hadn't noticed before, but the "new" battery has markings for all 5 contact points, whereas the "old" only has them for 3.
I took delivery of mine on Thursday and I can also confirm that the new ones do have all 5 contact points just like the original.
Old 22nd June 2013

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts

Anyone had experience of solar powered battery chargers?
Old 22nd June 2013

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomphotofx View Post
Here is a link for the BLN-1 at a good price £10.97 can also be charged in the Olympus Charger. I've just bought two of them recently and they are performing as good as the BLN-1 original.

Hope this helps at this price it's a no brainer not to get them.

Ex-Pro® Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 High Power Plus+ 2 Year: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Tom
Ex-pro also make a dual fast charger, which comes in handy, also via Amazon, and it's only £12 somthing
Old 22nd June 2013

Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,027 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

Yes Dave I was involved with project of fitting solar panels to a ford transit used by the emergency services as a forward base, they kept the batteries charged (during daylight) enough to run radios, computers, printers etc via an inverter to supply 240Volts AC. This saved the engine having to be left running when parked on a call. Four panels each four feet by two feet in size fitted on the roof. The vehicle was left plugged into the mains when parked at base before a call to keep the batteries in top charging order, the mains connection had a kick out lead activated by switching on the vehicle to avoid ripping the lead out of the wall when the vehicle was driven away!
The same company are now fitting these solar panels to lorries to keep batteries charged for using the tailgate. Reason? drivers had to leave the engine running when they went to the back to lower the tailgate and on a number of occassions their lorry was driven away!!

I have also used small solar chargers for AA and AAA batteries but found they took quite a time to charge from flat but would keep a charged battery topped up but very weather dependent mainly due to their size.

Back to battery purchases, sorry

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?