Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-400

Olympus E-400 E-400 specific discussion.

Old 11th October 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What could be wrong?

My E-400 was my first ever DSLR and I still love to use it even if it is 6 years old. Its still my first love (camera wise) I still love to use it especially on holidays - its quick and easy to use and light rather than bringing my 5D II.

I was in Dublin recently and decided to use my trusted old Oly but have noticed these horrible squiggly lines. I've had the sensor cleaned before but is it a sensor issue or lens issue or just old age in a DSLR? And the big question is - can this be sorted? I would hate to have to retire my trusted old Olly.

Just to show you what I mean.

www.flickr.com/photos/helenq/10199137425/
Old 11th October 2013

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts
Re: What could be wrong?

Hi there Lean66!

I've never heard of it happening, but could it be that you have fungus either on the outside of the sensor or even behind the supersonic wave filter? Has the camera been stored for a long time where it might have been slightly damp? The only reason I ask is the patterning seems very like the sort of fungus you get in older camera lenses, but because it is in focus it must be very close to the sensor or you wouldn't be able to see it so clearly.

I think that the E-400 has a sensor cleaning mode where it will flip the mirror and open the shutter which would allow you to see the surface of the sensor - if you can see translucent spidery marks across the sensor it could be fungus - whether it would clean off ok I couldn't say.

I haven't got an E-400, but my E410 was my first DSLR, and it still gets out regularly even with a multitude of other cameras to choose from, but I make sure when I store it that there is one of those little silica sachets in the camera bag to keep it dry - so far so good!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 11th October 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean66 View Post
My E-400 was my first ever DSLR and I still love to use it even if it is 6 years old. Its still my first love (camera wise) I still love to use it especially on holidays - its quick and easy to use and light rather than bringing my 5D II.

I was in Dublin recently and decided to use my trusted old Oly but have noticed these horrible squiggly lines. I've had the sensor cleaned before but is it a sensor issue or lens issue or just old age in a DSLR? And the big question is - can this be sorted? I would hate to have to retire my trusted old Olly.

Just to show you what I mean.

www.flickr.com/photos/helenq/10199137425/
Do the same marks appear on every picture when you use a different lens/zoom range? If so then the problem is with the sensor and it's probably uneconomical to repair it if cleaning the sensor doesn't remove the mess - cheaper to buy another secondhand E-400...

It does look like a very mucky sensor though!
Old 11th October 2013

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
I make sure when I store it that there is one of those little silica sachets in the camera bag to keep it dry - so far so good!
The little silica gel sachets supplied with cameras are completely useless!

To be effective, the quantity of silica gel needs to be around the same weight as the camera - in other words you need a pound of it!. As it continually absorbs atmospheric moisture, it needs to be in a sealed container with the camera. It also becomes exhausted over time (depending on exposure to the atmosphere) and needs to be re-activated by heating in an oven.

Jim
Old 11th October 2013

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

Are you sure its not a Guinness stain? Best of luck getting it sorted.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 14th October 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies. No Guinness at all Ed - no where near the black stuff. I think it just seems to happen with this lens Jim so I might just have to replace that lens and just get the sensor cleaned again. I would never have stored any of my camera equipment in a damp area, I can only assume that it was the lovely wet climate we have here in Ireland that could be a contributing factor to the dampness. Its a pity really, I love this little camera and the lenses. Easy and quick to use and light in a bag pack.