Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 10th April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hawk Conservancy Trust visit (9th April 2011)

My wife and I so much enjoy visiting the HCT, we needed to go to renew our membership. Also, we enjoy the company of the regular photographers who make us so welcome despite our occasional visits.

I had not posted any images of the afternoon flying display before, the staff really like to look the part for the traditional falconry display:

Final landing checks complete!

A few other shots from the same display:

Catch this if you can!

I really cannot master birds in flight, a couple of "almost if" shots:

Finally a portrait that I have to admit I was rather pleased with:

Honest thoughts if you have time please.

Cheers

Chris
Old 10th April 2011
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Hawk Conservancy Trust visit (9th April 2011)

Certianly saved the best for last...

The bird is in pristine condition and you have rendered it perfectly.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 10th April 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: Hawk Conservancy Trust visit (9th April 2011)

I love the Bald Eagle in flight best of all. If the jesses could be cloned out one could imagine it is a wild bird!

David
Old 11th April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,150 Times in 2,459 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts
Re: Hawk Conservancy Trust visit (9th April 2011)

A suoerb set, Chris, I like all of these for different reasons,

1) A falconer on horseback, that's really different. The bird itself caught at the perfect moment, it's outstretched legs following through the falconer's raised arm to create a very strong diagonal.

2) Great character study of a falconer in traditional dress, nicely posed in relation to his bird.

3) Great action shot showing the relationship between falconer and in-flight bird.

4) Stunning frame filling shot of flying eagle, eye positioned on a "third" for maximum impact.

5) Another in-flight shot showing great technique, albeit that the light was not falling kindly on the subject in this example.

6) As you say an "almost" shot, however with this type of subject you are bound to get a lot like these. It's the few you nail (like nos 1 & 4) that really matter.

7) I don't agree that this is an "almost" shot. Although the head is not quite sharp, it has the appearance of being so in relation to the blurred wings and OOF background. Caught head on, it gives a powerful feeling of speed and aggression. Creative and impressionistic rather than technically perfect, I still think it's a wonderful image and a definite keeper.

8) Wow! This is technically perfect and a superb portrait of the bird by any standard. But it lacks the dynamic action and raw power of no 7, capturing instead a very different aspect of the subject. IMO they are both equally valid approaches and whilst No 8 will undoubtedly win you the most plaudits the value of shots like No 7 should not be underestimated.

A wonderful and very enjoyable series!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Last edited by Zuiko; 11th April 2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: One of those days when my hands won't do what my brain wants them to!