Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 14th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Corrupt image files

Hello everyone,
I'm curious as to whether anyone else has encountered images like these from their camera.
They were taken in raw mode, when previewed on the camera they appear without the horizontal stripe. Also when loaded into Olympus Master the thumbnails look normal in 'Browse' mode, double clicking on the image to open it in 'Edit' mode loads the photo looking normal momentarily the the cursed stripe appears, and as you can see converting to jpeg keeps the stripe.
Seems a bit odd that the image appears to load properly first without the stripe even if just for a second or so...
I've reformatted the card a couple of times.

any thoughts?

GM
Old 14th March 2008
E-P1 fan

Re: Corrupt image files

Looks like you might have a write error with your card?
Do you have another card to try to eliminate that?
Old 14th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi E-1 fan,
I do have another card, it's half the capacity though so rarely sees the light of day (should that be the dark of the card slot?)
I'll maybe get around to taking some more photos next week, see if it's still a problem and if the other card has the same problem.
It's only something that's started happening in the past few weeks, I was just curious if anyone else had seen something similar.

GM
Old 14th March 2008
E-P1 fan

If anyone ever has you'll hear on here I'm sure. And Olympus seem very good about sorting out issues like that too
Old 14th March 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin Monster View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm curious as to whether anyone else has encountered images like these from their camera.
They were taken in raw mode, when previewed on the camera they appear without the horizontal stripe. Also when loaded into Olympus Master the thumbnails look normal in 'Browse' mode, double clicking on the image to open it in 'Edit' mode loads the photo looking normal momentarily the the cursed stripe appears, and as you can see converting to jpeg keeps the stripe.
Seems a bit odd that the image appears to load properly first without the stripe even if just for a second or so...
I've reformatted the card a couple of times.

any thoughts?

GM
Have you tried a picture in Jpeg from the camera and viewed it on your PC but not with Master???

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 14th March 2008
Administrator

Liked 505 Times in 279 Posts

I have seen a similar effect as per the attachment, but luckily in my case it's just the embedded thumbnail in the ORF and the actual file and the JPG's are fine

I agree you should try something else, especially as you say it appears OK for a moment.

Regards
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faulty.jpg (65.4 KB, 9 views)
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 16th April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,
in case anyone's interested, the suggestion that it might be the card to blame seems to have been substantiated- this time instead of stripes the card gave up, showing a card error on my e-1, I tried off-on, battery out-in, card out-in, and various combinations of the above. The camera wouldn't have anything to do with the card, not even displaying recorded photos. Got them off via a card reader though.
The card was meant to be the better of the two I have (Sandisk Extreme III 2GB) alas the Kingston card bundled with the camera seems to behave...#
Who knows... I'll see if a period of respite helps the card (reformatting didn't seem to.)

Thanks for your suggestions guys

GM
Old 16th April 2008
Administrator

Liked 505 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin Monster View Post
Hello All,
in case anyone's interested, the suggestion that it might be the card to blame seems to have been substantiated- this time instead of stripes the card gave up, showing a card error on my e-1, I tried off-on, battery out-in, card out-in, and various combinations of the above. The camera wouldn't have anything to do with the card, not even displaying recorded photos. Got them off via a card reader though.
The card was meant to be the better of the two I have (Sandisk Extreme III 2GB) alas the Kingston card bundled with the camera seems to behave...#
Who knows... I'll see if a period of respite helps the card (reformatting didn't seem to.)

Thanks for your suggestions guys

GM
Hi GM

I have to say that I'm not entirely surprised. Card failures are a whole lot more frequent than any manufacturer stats would lead you to think which is why I use loads of 2's rather than larger

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 16th April 2008
250swb

Quote:
two I have (Sandisk Extreme III 2GB) alas the Kingston card bundled with the camera seems to behave...#
Be careful that it isn't one of of the fake cards that are doing the rounds on Ebay etc.

Steve
Old 17th April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27590538

I also got the "pciture error" or something like that when looking via the camera. I contacted Lexar and am awaiting an RMA # at this point.

I think it's your card and/or the method you xfer data from card to computer. I eliminated the xfer method .... which leaves the card or the camera .... and everything kind of points to the card not the camera...