Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 5th September 2010

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Olympus Full-Frame who would have thought

How good would this be; if it's true. Full-frame and use of 4/3 lens!

http://www.43rumors.com/ft1-crazy-ru...pus-fullframe/

Paul
Old 5th September 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,455 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts
Re: Olympus Full-Frame who would have thought

Physically impossible - unless you want a circular image with black borders and corners.

Full frame from Olympus? I suppose it could happen - the day after hell freezes over and the last flying pig has left for Mars. BUT it would require a completely new lens range, existing Four Thirds lenses are simply incompatible.

Nice joke though, and some people might actually believe it. After all the word "gullible" has recently been removed from the dictionary. Someone should have saved this for April 1st!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th September 2010

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Now if Olympus tied in with Leica and made a camera that could take the S series lenses at 30-40MP and the 4/3lenses at say 10MP that would be interesting, but no doubt pricey

Dave
Old 5th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutch View Post
Now if Olympus tied in with Leica and made a camera that could take the S series lenses at 30-40MP and the 4/3lenses at say 10MP that would be interesting, but no doubt pricey

Dave
And competing with Leica in a very small market in which Leica have already established themselves?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 6th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutch View Post

Dave
sort of reminds me of my old Yashica 635 Twin Lens Reflex of the 70s it took 120 roll film(30-40MP) and 35mm(10MP) film got some really good pics with that then moved onto the OM1md lovely camera.

Mick

Petroleums Hey
retired oil boiler
Old 6th September 2010

Liked 880 Times in 310 Posts

I take the view that it's best to sit tight and wait for an official release from Olympus. All these rumours are quite honestly nothing more than hot air.

With their track record of innovation I'm sure that they will have some surprises when we do finally know the true specification.
Until then (and a probably for a while after) I'm enjoying taking pictures with my E-30

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 6th September 2010

Liked 1,290 Times in 498 Posts

Here's a thought: If you fit the EC14 behind your zuiko, it expands the image and woopee, you get the effect of a longer lens. The spare light round the edges misses the sensor, but you didn't need it anyway.

What if you fitted the combo on your Canikon somehow: Would the larger image circle fill the larger sensor - just a thought

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 6th September 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Here's a thought: If you fit the EC14 behind your zuiko, it expands the image and woopee, you get the effect of a longer lens. The spare light round the edges misses the sensor, but you didn't need it anyway.

What if you fitted the combo on your Canikon somehow: Would the larger image circle fill the larger sensor - just a thought
And if it was permanently (or at least semi-permanently fixed) you'd get rid of most of the risk of dust on the sensor, mirror, focus points etc.

Often wondered why SLR cameras insisted on having a hole in the front.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 6th September 2010

Liked 1,290 Times in 498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
And if it was permanently (or at least semi-permanently fixed) you'd get rid of most of the risk of dust on the sensor, mirror, focus points etc.

Nick
Hmm. Araldite, or a stiff elastic band.

I knew we would get there if we put our minds to it....

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 6th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:

Nick
Hmmm, but doesn't even the best teleconverter degrade the image? But the idea of protecting the sensor/miror is sound. Why does the IR filter have to go immediately in front of the sensor? Why not have it fitting on the lens mount, thus sealing the hole, then mount the lens in front. I think it was the Pentax 67 (or was it the RB67?) that had seperate inner and outer mounts - one for wides and standards and the other for certain telephotos. Maybe Oly could adopt the same principle. Not that Oly has a problem with dust, but it sure would make it easy to remove the IR filter when you want to shot IR!

Just a thought on sensor dust in general. I wonder why nobody has thought of dark frame subtraction to "remove" dust from the image in much the same way as it removes noise from long exposures. Instead of doing a kind of double exposure for each shot, just one dark frame subtraction should do every time the lens is changed - the sensor dust configuration isn't likely to change significantly whilst the lens is attached. Have I just invented the next great innovation? (Or am I just being a pr*tt? )

Old 6th September 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Hmmm, but doesn't even the best teleconverter degrade the image?

Just a thought on sensor dust in general. I wonder why nobody has thought of dark frame subtraction to "remove" dust from the image in much the same way as it removes noise from long exposures. Instead of doing a kind of double exposure for each shot, just one dark frame subtraction should do every time the lens is changed - the sensor dust configuration isn't likely to change significantly whilst the lens is attached. Have I just invented the next great innovation? (Or am I just being a pr*tt? )
Shouldn't it be 'white frame' difference addition John, with some way of generating a uniform white light into the optical system. As sensor dust spots show up as darker areas.

Actually the Olympus solution seems to work so well that we don't need that innovation. Yes I can find a couple of spots if I search hard at F22, but my camera has been in use since a couple of days after the E-3 was released in the UK without a sensor clean. Not really a major problem

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 6th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Shouldn't it be 'white frame' difference addition John, with some way of generating a uniform white light into the optical system. As sensor dust spots show up as darker areas.

Actually the Olympus solution seems to work so well that we don't need that innovation. Yes I can find a couple of spots if I search hard at F22, but my camera has been in use since a couple of days after the E-3 was released in the UK without a sensor clean. Not really a major problem

Nick
Quite right, Nick, it should be white frame. As we don't need it I might try to sell it to Canikon.