Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 29th February 2008

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts
Re: Any experience of OM lenses on DSLRs?

If you put a 28mm Nikon lens on your 4/3 it will act just like an Olympus Digital 28mm lens (if there were one). So no tricks there.

However - either lens will act like a 56mm lens would on a 35mm SLR. You might remember 28mm as a wide angle from the old days, but on a 4/3 it comes out as a standard lens..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 29th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned John Foster's useful tests of OM lenses:
http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e1.html and http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e330.html

This Flickr group may also be of interest:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/om_four_thirds_adapter/

I found legacy lenses almost unusable on the E500 because of the small viewfinder, but a KatzEye screen made it more feasible. I was still irritated by the faff of focus, compose, stop-down, and shoot however. I thought I'd left that behind with my Practika IVF... One of the reasons for going digital was having AF, so I abandon it with reluctance.

I did a few experiments with Live View on the E510, especially with macro using extension tubes, but I was never very happy with them. The only image I really liked was with an old Sirius 500mm mirror lens (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughofb...ld/1452548334/), but achieving optimum focus wasn't easy, even with LV. Why is it that Oly won't do a firmware update with Focus Confirmation. Allegedly the Russian Dandelion chips and experiments on DP Review show it could be done...

I find the brighter viewfinder of the E1 a good deal easier to work with and will persevere with my few remaining OM lenses.

I understand Hexanons have a number of fans (http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eKonicaStart.html) - including one I've seen described as "the sharpest lens ever made..."
Old 29th February 2008
E-P1 fan

Some Hexanons are great. I had a Konica FS-1 slr with built-in motor drive (looked a bit like a small E-1)

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eFS-1Haupt.html

The Hexanon lenses were first rate.

Wish I'd kept them
Old 29th February 2008

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
WOW - 350mm f2.8 - what a lens!! There's even one going now on eBay for a whopping 3,750.

Here's the link
DOUBLE WOW - it's white as well!
;^)

Jim
Old 1st April 2008

Legacy glass and the Dandelion?

I suspect this is revisiting old ground but..

I do enjoy my old glass (see above) but I still find problems setting the focus really accurately. While the Katzeye screen helps in a way, I suspect my eyesight is the limiting factor:

So, I am tempted to go back to the standard screen and buy a pair of Dandelions for my 100mm and 28mm manual lenses.

Anyone here had experience with these? Where to buy (conveniently)? Do they really help with focus confirm?

Pete H

Old 1st April 2008
Sam M

Re: Legacy glass and the Dandelion?

Excuse my ignorance, what are Dandelions? (the flowers I know about...)

Sam
Old 1st April 2008

Aha!

This is a glue-in chip developed in Russia that adds the computer contacts to your old legacy lens. This makes the camera body think it has a modern lens fitted, so you can use IS, and focus confirm.

Pete

Old 1st April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Legacy glass and the Dandelion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam M View Post
Excuse my ignorance, what are Dandelions? (the flowers I know about...)

Sam
You may be interested in this link: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...n+results&qf=m
Old 1st April 2008

Hugh

Thanks, very useful link. I hadn't seen the latest sections of that thread. He certainly seems to have gone into it in some detail :-)

Personally I would prefer that the Dandelion had gold plated contacts, and I am not so certain about gluing it in place. But I guess if they were falling off all over the place we would hear about it!

Anyone know if these can be bought in or via the UK?? As far as I know, you can't buy these the easy way (with Paypal)

Pete

Old 21st April 2008
OlyFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Thanks, very useful link. I hadn't seen the latest sections of that thread. He certainly seems to have gone into it in some detail :-)
On DPReview there are quite a few threads about the Dandelion. Personally I think it is a good working prototype, but IMO too expensive and the functional quality and reliability is just not that good. There has also been example of the chip falling off the adapter, it is only glued which makes it quite weak in the long run. Super glue is not fit for the purpose, as you can see Jonas B has reinforced a bit more. I will meet him in a few weeks time to talk photography, so the subject will probably come up as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Personally I would prefer that the Dandelion had gold plated contacts, and I am not so certain about gluing it in place. But I guess if they were falling off all over the place we would hear about it!
Has happend. I don't know how often, but I think not everybody bothers to admit it did not work. It is also not that easy to fit exactly right to get contact. I have read about cases where it was pushing too hard on the camera contacts, so the adapter contacts got weared out after a short time of use. Anyway, it seems the discussions has died out since Olympus effectively killed the market for the chip by introducing the IS support for legacy lenses. Of course, it would be even better if Olympus gave us the focus confirmation LED and beep as well, since that is a very easy firmware fix.

With the E-3 I find manual focusing very reliable and fairly easy, assuming the diopter adjustment is correctly set. With the other bodies manual focus is not as easy, but according to my long experinece with the E-500, it is possible.

I would not buy the adapter due to it's low quality and high price. If Olympus would make a high quality adapter I would be prepared to pay a quite high price for it.

Last year we sent a lot of requests to Olympus Japan about focus confirmation for legacy lenses. The campaign progressed really well. Than somebody came up with the idea of even demanding IS, so the camp got split and it resulted in IS. I would have welcomed the focus confirmation more than the IS, if only one was given to us, because of several reasons. More people could benefit from it since not every camera has IS, and also it is pointless to have IS if you can't focus. Focusing is more important, IS can be fixed with other aid, like the good old tripod or some other support, or increased shutter speed. Unfortunatelly, the IS camp won. If Olympus is ever going to give us the focus confirmation LED for legacy lenses or not is still unknown. I hope they will include that in the next firmware update.
Old 21st April 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

I use the adaptor to connect to my OM Bellows with Macro Lenses and this works very well. The results are as good as scanned film and considerably less expensive.

At the other end I have also attached a Sigma 600mm Mirror and just to see if it would work a 2x converter. Thats a 2400mm equivalent and it actually produced an image that was better than I expected (better than anything I've seen from a phone camera, holga, lensbaby, etc...)

So if you have some good glass, and like to play, then go for it. If you don't like it, sell them here or on ebay

Have fun

Graham
Old 25th May 2008

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I regularly use my OM 300mm, f4 lens on E510 and now that image stabilisation is available for OM lenses, I have a really sharp 600mm lens that can be handheld! It really works well and I usually work between f4 and f8. This is a lens not recommended by Olympus to be used with DSLR cameras I've also regularly used my 35 to 80 mm f2.8 lens and this is very sharp and higher contrast that most of my digital OM or Sigma lenses.

Ian
Old 16th July 2008

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Smile Re: Any experience of OM lenses on DSLRs?

Yes - regularly use the f4 300mm OM lens and now IS is available with the E510 for legacy lenses it's a really powerful 600m lens! I use it mainly wide open and have been constantly amazed by what it achieves. Really good for wildlife for those of us who cannot afford a modern AF lens. It's not even a recommended Olympus combination!

Ian