Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 8th October 2016
Footloose1949 Footloose1949 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Reading, Berkshire, UK
Posts: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Harold, all of the feedback I have seen relating to the 15mm's Shift function, are from people NOT using it on a m4/3rds body. If you have any non-macro shots taken with this lens using a m4/3rds body, I'd love to see them!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 8th October 2016
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,766
Thanks: 58
Thanked 807 Times in 736 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,199 Times in 1,728 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose1949 View Post
Harold, all of the feedback I have seen relating to the 15mm's Shift function, are from people NOT using it on a m4/3rds body. If you have any non-macro shots taken with this lens using a m4/3rds body, I'd love to see them!
None so far.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 8th October 2016
Petrochemist Petrochemist is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: N Essex
Posts: 727
Thanks: 36
Thanked 81 Times in 74 Posts
Likes: 212
Liked 126 Times in 92 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Sounds like the DSLR version of this lens could be very interesting on a focal reducer or tilting adapter. I'll have to add it to my lengthy wish list
__________________
Mike
Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 21st August 2017
RobEW RobEW is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 2,035
Thanks: 165
Thanked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Likes: 1,190
Liked 187 Times in 128 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Dave!

I have had a look at these and also the just tilt version which is much cheaper. My issue with both of these is the OM lenses you would use them with - I cannot afford anything particularly wide to use with them (once you get past 24mm they seem to get very expensive very quickly!

I am tempted to have made a shift adapter for 4/3 to m4/3 - I have a Sigma 10-20 to go on it which should have a larger image circle to compensate for the shift (I believe it was designed for APS-C sensors). My plan is to take apart a cheapo MMF copy and have machined a dovetailed slide of the same thickness as the MMF and bodge the wiring onto it somehow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Ralph.

How did you get on? (Sorry to pick up on this 3.5 years later!) And why does no-one make such an adapter? Is it because most Four thirds lenses produce too small an image to allow for shift? (I'm not bothered about tilt but would quite like shift for architecture)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21st August 2017
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,766
Thanks: 58
Thanked 807 Times in 736 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,199 Times in 1,728 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
HAnd why does no-one make such an adapter? Is it because most Four thirds lenses produce too small an image to allow for shift? (I'm not bothered about tilt but would quite like shift for architecture)
If you use any (non-shift) lens on the format it was made for it will have too small an image circle. A full frame lens on 4/3 or m4/3 should be good. Similarly, a large format lens should be good on FF.

Laowa are to make a Magic Shift adapter later this year. As it is for their 12mm lens, available in various mounts, you may be able to get one with the lens and camera mounts of your choice.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harold Gough For This Useful Post:
RobEW (23rd August 2017)
  #21  
Old 21st August 2017
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,766
Thanks: 58
Thanked 807 Times in 736 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,199 Times in 1,728 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

I just looked on Ebay. As I found before, a number of "shift" adapters are being offered which are tilt with no shift.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (23rd August 2017)
  #22  
Old 21st August 2017
Petrochemist Petrochemist is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: N Essex
Posts: 727
Thanks: 36
Thanked 81 Times in 74 Posts
Likes: 212
Liked 126 Times in 92 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
If you use any (non-shift) lens on the format it was made for it will have too small an image circle. A full frame lens on 4/3 or m4/3 should be good. Similarly, a large format lens should be good on FF.

Laowa are to make a Magic Shift adapter later this year. As it is for their 12mm lens, available in various mounts, you may be able to get one with the lens and camera mounts of your choice.

Harold
Large format lenses usually allow for movements on their designated format so would be well over specified for FF. A lens that only just covers a 5" circle is of limited use on my 5x4 monorail.


Medium format will typically have enough coverage for FF tilt/shift. I think I've seen one or two adapters for these around when browsing e-bay. Pentax certainly did fixed adapters for both 645 & 6x7 lenses to 35mm.


Getting wide enough FOV for MFT (or probably even FF) will be a real pain with any of these larger formats. My 5x4 camera worked out a much cheaper approach for shift work, but I've yet to sort out a digital output for it!
__________________
Mike
Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 21st August 2017
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,766
Thanks: 58
Thanked 807 Times in 736 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,199 Times in 1,728 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrochemist View Post
Getting wide enough FOV for MFT (or probably even FF) will be a real pain with any of these larger formats.
???

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 21st August 2017
gphemy gphemy is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 57 38' N by 4 08' W
Posts: 350
Thanks: 28
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Likes: 4
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

I think Mike is referring to the widest focal length generally available for larger formats, Harold. When did you last see a 24mm lens for 5x4?

There are available a few tilt/shift adapters for Pentacon 6 lenses on Canon EF. The latter is easily adapted to many other mounts - but the widest P6 lens I can think of is a 30mm *fisheye* - not worth bothering about!

Piers
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 22nd August 2017
Petrochemist Petrochemist is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: N Essex
Posts: 727
Thanks: 36
Thanked 81 Times in 74 Posts
Likes: 212
Liked 126 Times in 92 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphemy View Post
I think Mike is referring to the widest focal length generally available for larger formats, Harold. When did you last see a 24mm lens for 5x4?

There are available a few tilt/shift adapters for Pentacon 6 lenses on Canon EF. The latter is easily adapted to many other mounts - but the widest P6 lens I can think of is a 30mm *fisheye* - not worth bothering about!

Piers
Exactly, thanks Piers.
__________________
Mike
Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 23rd August 2017
RobEW RobEW is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 2,035
Thanks: 165
Thanked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Likes: 1,190
Liked 187 Times in 128 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I just looked on Ebay. As I found before, a number of "shift" adapters are being offered which are tilt with no shift.

Harold
Shift would be more useful to me than tilt I think.


I had a play with the Canon TS-E lenses on a course a while back, on a Canon full frame body.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using IS as a shift adapter? Ralph Harwood Converters, adapters and extension tubes 17 2nd March 2016 08:42 AM
4/3 to m4/3 shift adapter Ralph Harwood Converters, adapters and extension tubes 25 30th October 2013 12:33 AM
Tilt & Shift Seonnaidh Lens focus 7 5th September 2012 05:36 PM
Tilt 'n' shift lens Wreckdiver Lens focus 20 22nd July 2012 12:49 AM
Viewfinder Tilt Kiwi Paul Olympus E-3 3 21st February 2009 08:15 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger