Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 8th October 2016

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Harold, all of the feedback I have seen relating to the 15mm's Shift function, are from people NOT using it on a m4/3rds body. If you have any non-macro shots taken with this lens using a m4/3rds body, I'd love to see them!
Old 8th October 2016

Liked 3,199 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose1949 View Post
Harold, all of the feedback I have seen relating to the 15mm's Shift function, are from people NOT using it on a m4/3rds body. If you have any non-macro shots taken with this lens using a m4/3rds body, I'd love to see them!
None so far.

Harold
Old 8th October 2016

Liked 126 Times in 92 Posts

Sounds like the DSLR version of this lens could be very interesting on a focal reducer or tilting adapter. I'll have to add it to my lengthy wish list
Old 21st August 2017

Liked 187 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Dave!

I have had a look at these and also the just tilt version which is much cheaper. My issue with both of these is the OM lenses you would use them with - I cannot afford anything particularly wide to use with them (once you get past 24mm they seem to get very expensive very quickly!

I am tempted to have made a shift adapter for 4/3 to m4/3 - I have a Sigma 10-20 to go on it which should have a larger image circle to compensate for the shift (I believe it was designed for APS-C sensors). My plan is to take apart a cheapo MMF copy and have machined a dovetailed slide of the same thickness as the MMF and bodge the wiring onto it somehow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Ralph.

How did you get on? (Sorry to pick up on this 3.5 years later!) And why does no-one make such an adapter? Is it because most Four thirds lenses produce too small an image to allow for shift? (I'm not bothered about tilt but would quite like shift for architecture)
Old 21st August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
HAnd why does no-one make such an adapter? Is it because most Four thirds lenses produce too small an image to allow for shift? (I'm not bothered about tilt but would quite like shift for architecture)
If you use any (non-shift) lens on the format it was made for it will have too small an image circle. A full frame lens on 4/3 or m4/3 should be good. Similarly, a large format lens should be good on FF.

Laowa are to make a Magic Shift adapter later this year. As it is for their 12mm lens, available in various mounts, you may be able to get one with the lens and camera mounts of your choice.

Harold
RobEW (23rd August 2017)
Old 21st August 2017

I just looked on Ebay. As I found before, a number of "shift" adapters are being offered which are tilt with no shift.

Harold
RobEW (23rd August 2017)
Old 21st August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
If you use any (non-shift) lens on the format it was made for it will have too small an image circle. A full frame lens on 4/3 or m4/3 should be good. Similarly, a large format lens should be good on FF.

Laowa are to make a Magic Shift adapter later this year. As it is for their 12mm lens, available in various mounts, you may be able to get one with the lens and camera mounts of your choice.

Harold
Large format lenses usually allow for movements on their designated format so would be well over specified for FF. A lens that only just covers a 5" circle is of limited use on my 5x4 monorail.

Medium format will typically have enough coverage for FF tilt/shift. I think I've seen one or two adapters for these around when browsing e-bay. Pentax certainly did fixed adapters for both 645 & 6x7 lenses to 35mm.

Getting wide enough FOV for MFT (or probably even FF) will be a real pain with any of these larger formats. My 5x4 camera worked out a much cheaper approach for shift work, but I've yet to sort out a digital output for it!
Old 21st August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrochemist View Post
Getting wide enough FOV for MFT (or probably even FF) will be a real pain with any of these larger formats.
???

Harold
Old 21st August 2017

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

I think Mike is referring to the widest focal length generally available for larger formats, Harold. When did you last see a 24mm lens for 5x4?

There are available a few tilt/shift adapters for Pentacon 6 lenses on Canon EF. The latter is easily adapted to many other mounts - but the widest P6 lens I can think of is a 30mm *fisheye* - not worth bothering about!

Piers
Old 22nd August 2017

Thumbs up Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphemy View Post
I think Mike is referring to the widest focal length generally available for larger formats, Harold. When did you last see a 24mm lens for 5x4?

There are available a few tilt/shift adapters for Pentacon 6 lenses on Canon EF. The latter is easily adapted to many other mounts - but the widest P6 lens I can think of is a 30mm *fisheye* - not worth bothering about!

Piers
Exactly, thanks Piers.
Old 23rd August 2017

Liked 187 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I just looked on Ebay. As I found before, a number of "shift" adapters are being offered which are tilt with no shift.

Harold
Shift would be more useful to me than tilt I think.

I had a play with the Canon TS-E lenses on a course a while back, on a Canon full frame body.