Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 3rd December 2013

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
Re: Batteries for OM-D EM-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
That's interesting. I have two of the Ex-Pro White batteries, and they charge up just fine in the Olympus BCN-1 charger.
Sorry about that. I have now edited my post.
I thought I'd better check the Ex-Pros in the BCN-1 charger again now they'd been in my M-1 for a week. This time they began charging whereas when I tried them when they arrived the charge light went out after about 10 seconds. I did think this was odd as Ex-Pro state they function in exactly the same as the OEM battery.
I can only assume the Ex-Pro's arrived fully charged which would explain why the BCN-1 switched off.

Steve.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 3rd December 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Yes, mine appeared to be fully charged on arrival.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 11th September 2015

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm guessing it's to late to try and revive this thread? I'm looking to buy a couple of spare BLN-1's for regular use and ready for a trip abroad.

Any updates on the difference between the grey and white BLN-1's from Ex-Pro? If not I might go for the whites for extra protection?!

Was very glad when I googled BLN-1 replacements and a really useful few topics came up on here!! Should have looked here first!

Thanks all.
Old 12th September 2015

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filadams View Post
I'm guessing it's to late to try and revive this thread? I'm looking to buy a couple of spare BLN-1's for regular use and ready for a trip abroad.

Any updates on the difference between the grey and white BLN-1's from Ex-Pro? If not I might go for the whites for extra protection?!

Was very glad when I googled BLN-1 replacements and a really useful few topics came up on here!! Should have looked here first!

Thanks all.
I use EXpro, Fits OLY. BLN-1 (so it says) with no problems.
It fits the Oly charger, no problem.
Old 12th September 2015

Liked 325 Times in 134 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I've used Expro for several years with no problem.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 12th September 2015

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts

Paulus I found a nice plastic box on eBay which is just the correct size for two bln1 batteries I cannot find the post I mentioned them in as I can only get back to March on my tablet.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 12th September 2015

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

I've just bought a white EXPro BLN1 as it has a larger energy capacity than the grey. It charged up in the Olympus charger with no problems and fits in my E-M1 perfectly. The instructions on the back of the pack warn that "Fully charge the battery in the first place. It is important that the charge is used completely, then fully charged. This ensures that your new battery reaches its full capacity, although our cells have no memory effect this sets the benchmark for optimum use, therefore your cell will only reach its best if this procedure is followed."

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 13th September 2015

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filadams View Post
The white Ex-Pro has a little extra capacity than the grey (according to my tests about 100mAh) and there is a suggestion (unproven as far as I am aware) that it has additional internal protection.

Both will charge OK in an Olympus charger.

The white has higher internal self discharge than the grey pack but still has more capacity after a month on the shelf than the grey pack freshly charged.

Both are quite weedy compared to a genuine Olympus pack, my best white pack optimised can only return 1004mAh and is virtually new. My best Olympus pack is still producing 1305mAh after a year of use. You have to put this into the context of the price, of course.

Each to his/her own but my EX-Pro's are now downgraded to third (extreme emergency) reserves after the Olympus originals and Hahnels - still a very good quality pack but a little pricey recently so less tempting to stray from the originals.

I find that the the EM-1 (and my EM-5 before it) is a greedy little bugger when it comes to power so I will opt for the most capacity I can get. YMMV.

Loves photography but so little time
The Following User Says Thank You to jima For This Useful Post:
Wee man (14th September 2015)
Old 13th September 2015

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

All this talk of significant and consistent differences between ExPros and OEMs has prompted me to study the performance of mine a bit more carefully!

My X100T gets the most consistent type of usage (ie street shooting for 1-2 hours at a time, very little use of rear screen, not used for anything else), so I'm going to keep a more stringent record of the number of frames I get to 2 and 1 bar remaining on the battery display for the two manufacturers' products in that camera. I use the E-M1 and Gm1 for all sorts of types of photography with different lenses, so I wouldn't trust the results unless I monitored for months.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 14th September 2015

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thank you all for the very valuable information, exactly what I needed. Thanks Jim for the detailed capacity info, was hoping someone might have something like that done, well beyond me.

Think I will go for two white ExPro's as I need a couple for my upcoming trip to Canada and have limited funds for camera stuff at the mo. Hoping they charge to their full capacity with the Olympus charger rather than having to get a ExPro charger as well, although an international + car charger would be handy...

For anyone who is interested, here is an email I got from ExPro as to the difference between the grey and white versions:

"The normal version is made to match OEM specifications.

However the white versions is made to exceed them, with only grade A+ cells, fully tested and made with double surge protection. (Basically above what oem manufacturers will create.)"

Guessing they must both be 7.6V now then!!

Thanks again.
Old 14th September 2015

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

Interesting - all my ExPros are 'white'.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 17th September 2015

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

[QUOTE=Filadams;358824]For anyone who is interested, here is an email I got from ExPro as to the difference between the grey and white versions:

"The normal version is made to match OEM specifications. However the white versions is made to exceed them, with only grade A+ cells, fully tested and made with double surge protection. (Basically above what oem manufacturers will create.)"

Guessing they must both be 7.6V now then!!

Well, I would beg to strongly differ on both of the manufacturers quite laughable statements. The performance not only does not exceed the Olympus cells, it does not come close to matching them. I cannot speak for the quality of the cells or the 'double surge protection' having not dissected any (yet) but if that means that they have added a fuse then good - why was it not there in the first place?

On a final note, both the freshly charged grey and the white packs start off at the same voltage, about 7.8 volts but the grey cells start to drop off noticeably about two thirds through their discharge curve (which also doesn't help the OM's as they are quite intolerant of low volts). The Olympus originals start off at 8.5 volts and are at the same voltage as freshly charged EX-Pro's after 2 hours (yes HOURS) of discharge. Like I say, you pay your money and make your choice.

Loves photography but so little time