Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 23rd February 2015

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: Feeling self concious when taking shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjward View Post
Going to try a bit of street photography today and I'm already thinking about what people's reactions will be. I always work on basis if I am not comfortable then don't shoot - what's the point of a hobby that stresses you out. Also, if you feel uncomfortable you subject may do so too.

Guess it doesn't help that I also suffer from anxiety.
Nobody seems to have mentioned yet the option of just not taking photos of people without their consent.
Just offering this as your own option.
You really don't have to do it, and it makes you uncomfortable which might be a sign that its not for you right now.
Old 23rd February 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

I tend to do one of two things:
1. I use a longish lens, but of small size; and I find the 450-150 on the PL3 is ideal. Very easy to look down and "fiddle" with it. They won't realise you're taking their photo.

2. If I want someone in the picture who is fairly close, I use a wide angle lens, and aim as if I am not taking them (i.e. just with them to one side). Obviously I need it on them for just long enough for focus lock, or use an object the same distance away. I've never had one notice yet!

I find the M5 is good if you are fairly close, because the shutter is very quiet. I took a burst across a 5 foot diameter table, and my target didn't know I'd done it!

Another way: I and SWMBO are U3A members; ours does a coffee morning with live music. I take the camera, and grab shots of the artiste as well as the audience. No-one cares, they all know me. That will build your confidence and hone your skills.
Old 2nd March 2015

Liked 3,188 Times in 1,718 Posts

Get yourself a high viz jacket.

Harold
George Dorn (2nd March 2015)
Old 2nd March 2015

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

Graham's suggestion of a group or even a couple is a great idea and helps you build the confidence.

I have done quite a lot of street photography and have had 1 issue where a woman called the police, they reviewed my images after I insisted and were fine and said there is no issue in a public place.

I do not ask first as it makes people self conscious and often they pose and the moment has gone, if they see me taking the photo I will very often approach them, thank them and show them the image and in some cases they have been so pleased they have asked me to email it to them - make sure you do if you commit to.

As a new starter, a good way is to sit down / crouch down and identify and area you want to photograph and wait for a suitable subject to walk into frame, this way your movements are not sudden and obvious and you are below eye level so do not stand out as much.

I would advise against taking photos of children unless (and this is the exception) you have obtained permission from the parents to do so.

Street is a very rewarding environment and allows you to capture subjects in their natural environment and this in itself can present some interesting subject matter, alwys remember to be polite if approached and explain what you are taking and show your results - it goes a long way to diffuse any potential situation.

Good luck and enjoy.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (3rd March 2015)
Old 2nd March 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Get yourself a high viz jacket.

Harold
And a big YELLOW tripod and a friend with a big ruler - no one will ever look at you and you will have carte blanc to go wherever you like!

On a more serious note, if you want to get the confidence go on a course - it has worked wonders for me. Damien Demolder's course in Liverpool has given me the confidence to wander round with a camera discreetly taking pictures, and the most important information - generally NO ONE CARES!

I agree with Ian that photographing children without consent is a no no, but I certainly wouldn't try to get consent now from someone who I want to get a candid picture of - maybe one day I will get the courage to progress from Street Photography to Street Portraiture and then I will have to get permission first!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 2nd March 2015

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

This is the nearest I get to street photography

Graham_of_Rainham (3rd March 2015), Ralph Harwood (2nd March 2015)