Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 20th February 2015

Liked 847 Times in 239 Posts
Re: Olympus unveils OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Sounds good, thanks for sharing. I'm a bit nervous about it as it's the first time I've ordered a camera without having hands on experience first How did you find the new thumb rest, and the front grip compared to the EM10? Also, how did you find the new eyepiece, hopefully I'll find it better than the EM10 as it's probably my only gripe with the EM10? Finally, did it feel significantly heavier, or just a bit?
The shape of the camera grip is better than the E-M10, but like with all small cameras my little finger on my right hand had nowhere to go. The viewfinder is noticeably better than the 10 's and if I had planned a bit better I would have taken the 10 and taken longer to do a side-by-side comparison. This would have helped assess the weight too, but my gut feeling is it is only slightly heavier.
Maybe I could go back next week??

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to IainMacD For This Useful Post:
snerkler (20th February 2015)
Old 20th February 2015

Liked 363 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philn67 View Post
I thought that exactly! Why not. It would have added a few mm but surely that wouldn't have been an issue for anyone, Johnny Ive can't be running the design dept. I don't use the screen often for composing but have found low shots useful with tilting the screen out. I've never used a fully articulated screen and I just can't see me wanting to use it if it's protruding I the side, it's vulnerable and off centre to what you're trying to compose. Then again once I get to actually hold one it may be a non issue. Being new to m4/3 I've decided I'm a convert and want to move up from the Em10. I love this little thing but would love an even better EVF and I NEED 2 more buttons for quick changes.. I was ready to jump on the 5ii but seriously thinking about the em1 now to avoid that screen. Then again get the 5ii and have it as a backup when the em1ii comes
The best articulating screen I've used is that on the Sony A77 and A77-II. It can just flip, but is also fully articulating.

Whilst I'm not exactly in favour of the new screen I don't think it's going to be that bad, I think it'll be something you soon get used to and wonder why it bothered you in the first place

I'm with you on the EM10, and the reasons for wanting the 5-ii. I do wonder what Olly will do with the EM10-II now that the EM5 is roughly the same size. Will the EM10 genuinely become a dumbed down version or will each new one surpass the other (except say the weather sealing)?
Old 20th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
The shape of the camera grip is better than the E-M10, but like with all small cameras my little finger on my right hand had nowhere to go. The viewfinder is noticeably better than the 10 's and if I had planned a bit better I would have taken the 10 and taken longer to do a side-by-side comparison. This would have helped assess the weight too, but my gut feeling is it is only slightly heavier.
Maybe I could go back next week??
Thanks, I'm hoping to go tomorrow and plan on taking the EM10 to compare. I have shovel hands so I'm the same as you re the little finger but I don't find it a problem as I just wrap it underneath
Old 20th February 2015

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, I'm hoping to go tomorrow and plan on taking the EM10 to compare. I have shovel hands so I'm the same as you re the little finger but I don't find it a problem as I just wrap it underneath
Just goes to show how we all need different things and how sometimes engineers/designers must ponder over a simple button layout/screen hinge for weeks! I have small/ish hands and stubby fingers, but my right thumb is sans almost 1cm thanks to a 10mm nylon anchor rope on a speedboat wrapping around it in Cyprus a few years ago. Hands on the edge looking at what the anchor had snagged (any yaughtsmen reading will be thinking 'yep, rookie') and as a wave came the rope tightened with a loop around said appendage. 10mm nylon rope is quite thin, but much stronger than a mere thumb. So if in the Med you notice a little pink thing bobbing about let me know. Sob story over I can still use it if I ignore the horrid nerve tingle and I get on with the Oly just fine. I have the top buttons set just how I want and the rear 4 way ALL set for focus so stabs with my little stubby (usually gloved unless it warm because the cold is bad news) will usually hit one. Couple more buttons, and the grip with a couple of buttons and I will be a happy stubby bunny
Old 21st February 2015

I've just been informed that the Olly rep at the store I shall be visiting today doesn't have the ECG-2 grip to try out as it hasn't been supplied to olympus yet, so I'll only get to try the HLD-8G today which is a bit of a shame as it's the ECG-2 I'm leaning towards. Strange that Olympus don't have it yet, but I've seen someone reviewing it on youtube

Also, can anyone explain why the ECG-2 is £90 more than the ECG-1

Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
I've just been informed that the Olly rep at the store I shall be visiting today doesn't have the ECG-2 grip to try out as it hasn't been supplied to olympus yet, so I'll only get to try the HLD-8G today which is a bit of a shame as it's the ECG-2 I'm leaning towards. Strange that Olympus don't have it yet, but I've seen someone reviewing it on youtube

Also, can anyone explain why the ECG-2 is 90 more than the ECG-1

Olympus ECG-2 Plate For OMD EM5 MK II - YouTube
Probably because its new and you want one
The Following User Liked This Post:
snerkler (21st February 2015)
Old 21st February 2015

Just a thought anyone know if Adobe will release an update to support the 5ii, or will it be covered by profiles for the other OMD's? If it needs an update I hope its not going to be LR6.
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
Probably because its new and you want one
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
Just a thought anyone know if Adobe will release an update to support the 5ii, or will it be covered by profiles for the other OMD's? If it needs an update I hope its not going to be LR6.
I have no doubt that they will release an update for it. Usually when they release a camera raw update it crosses a number of different software so I would have thought that LR5 will be compatible with the RAW update. Time will tell I guess. I'm not entirely sure when LR6 comes out tbh, but if it's still several months away then LR5 will definitely get the update as adobe tend to be reasonably quick at bringing out RAW updates from my experience. Much quicker than apple anyway, I can always view RAW files in LR long before I can view them in apple preview
Old 21st February 2015

I hope so. LR 6 is OS X 10.8 min and I'm still on 10.7 so not sure if I can update to 10.8 without having to use Yosemite whatever it's called. I know a few who have upgraded and cs6 had to be updated too and the only was was PS3 CC. Already paid legit for LR and PS so I don't want a monthly bill too.
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
I hope so. LR 6 is OS X 10.8 min and I'm still on 10.7 so not sure if I can update to 10.8 without having to use Yosemite whatever it's called. I know a few who have upgraded and cs6 had to be updated too and the only was was PS3 CC. Already paid legit for LR and PS so I don't want a monthly bill too.
I've upgraded from Mountain Lion to yosemite and quite like it, once I got used to the iOS looking icons. That being said my Mac broke the other day (they think it's the logic board ) and had to use a PC for the past few days, now that's torture. Can't wait to get my Mac back.

I've got a full version of LR, but I have subscribed to Adobe CC as I've got it for 8.57/month. When it goes back up to full price I'll stop subscribing as haven't really been using photoshop. Depending on how good LR6 is will make me decide whether to stick with LR5 or not, but I have no concerns that the EM5-II won't be supported (famous last words ). So far I've seen that LR6 will be introducing HDR and Panoramic which is nice, but there's a couple of things I like in aperture that I wish they'd put into LR such as auto curves (works unbelievably well for a lot of pics), and being able to brush in individual colour changes as well as more control with brushed sharpening.
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
I've upgraded from Mountain Lion to yosemite and quite like it, once I got used to the iOS looking icons. That being said my Mac broke the other day (they think it's the logic board ) and had to use a PC for the past few days, now that's torture. Can't wait to get my Mac back.

I've got a full version of LR, but I have subscribed to Adobe CC as I've got it for 8.57/month. When it goes back up to full price I'll stop subscribing as haven't really been using photoshop. Depending on how good LR6 is will make me decide whether to stick with LR5 or not, but I have no concerns that the EM5-II won't be supported (famous last words ). So far I've seen that LR6 will be introducing HDR and Panoramic which is nice, but there's a couple of things I like in aperture that I wish they'd put into LR such as auto curves (works unbelievably well for a lot of pics), and being able to brush in individual colour changes as well as more control with brushed sharpening.
Are you using a Mac book pro by any chance??
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
Are you using a Mac book pro by any chance??
Sure am, well when it's fixed
Old 21st February 2015

So I had some hands on with the EM5-II today. I wouldn't say it's a wow camera over the EM10 but there's a number of areas where there's small and not so small improvements which make it a worthy upgrade, barring the price of course.

Size wise it's fractionally wider, but otherwise they're pretty similar. It does feel noticeably heavier than the EM10 which surprised me, I wasn't expecting to feel 100g difference tbh. That's not to say the EM5-II is heavy though lol. The control dials feel tons better, really nice. The buttons are also much nicer, much crisper and feel much better quality. The EVF is much better, it's huge in comparison. The only downside is that it accentuates the little 'judder' in the screen when the AF locks, but that's me being REALLY picky.

AF wise I didn't notice any particular speed difference tbh, but it did appear to have less failed AF attempts (I had the 12-40mm on both and gave it some challenging targets). The thumb rest is better on the EM5-II, but I didn't notice much difference with the front grip.

We looked at some comparison shots with the hi-res mode and the D810 taken earlier in the day. I have to say I was more impressed than I thought I would be. OK they're not quite as crisp as the Nikon, and the Nikon handled highlights better (possibly due to better DR?), but they were close. I actually thought the colours from the Olly were much better. The Olly rep did mention something very interesting about the hi-res mode and said they are working on an update to reduce the time it take to shoot the hi-res picture so that you can use it handheld, which would also make motion less of an issue. I quizzed him whether we'll have to wait for an EM5-III, or EM1-II to see this, but he said they're trying to get it to work with the EM5-II but he couldn't say for sure. It's all dependent on whether they can get the sensor to do it.

I do prefer the tilt screen on the EM10 to the flip out one of the EM5-II, but as I don't move the screen much it's not much of an issue. The screen was very stiff though, the Olly guy said it's because it was a pre-production model and the full production models aren't like this. Obviously I'll find out if this is the case soon. Also, with the flip out screen when it's fully extended it does indeed disable the EVF which is a bit annoying. I asked the Olly rep why Olympus had done this and his response was "idiocy" lol.

I thought the EM5-II had quite a lag from shot to shot as it didn't seem to want to AF again as quickly as my EM10, and sometimes had to release the shutter and try again. However, when we tested this again there wasn't a significant lag it's just that the confirmation beep doesn't sound after the first AF if you're rattling shots off in quick succession (I'm not talking burst here, single shot but in quick succession) so I mistakenly thought it wasn't AF'ing. The Olly rep didn't know if it was a glitch with the pre-production model, or whether Olly had designed it this was so that you didn't get a fast repetition of annoying beeps. My thoughts are that it's the former as my EM10 beeped each time. The AF confirmation dot lights up in the bottom of the viewfinder and the images were tack sharp so I'm in no doubt that it is locking AF.

I was hoping to try both the HLD-8G and ECG-2 grips out but they only had the HLD-8G one. I have to say that does make it more comfortable to hold when something like the 12-40mm f2.8 is attached, but tbh I didn't find it an issue to hold without the extra grip. I don't think the grip looks great when attached either, looks a bit of an afterthought to me but I'm sure most people will like it. I asked why the ECG-2 is so expensive, especially when compared to the ECG-1 and it's because of the arca swiss plate attachment. Not great for people like me who don't have an arca swiss plate, we're having to pay 90 for a useless feature

Overall I think the EM5-II is a very nice upgrade over the EM10 and definitely worth considering, but for me only when the price comes down.

I did try out the 14-150mm II whilst I was there. Build wise I wouldn't say it's hugely better than the 40-150mm I have which was a bit disappointing considering the pricetag. I've never used the 14-150mm version 1 so don't know how that compares to the 40-150mm, or new 14-150mm.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snerkler For This Useful Post:
George Dorn (21st February 2015), Nawty (21st February 2015), OM USer (22nd February 2015), Philn67 (21st February 2015)
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
Sure am, well when it's fixed
How did I guess! banding, stripes, blue screen, failing graphics? Had the same issue with my late 2011 17" pro, its a documented issue and a class action against apple in the US, if you had this issue yes its the logic board, or rather the wrong solder (lead free) they used for the graphics chip leading to eventual shorting under heavy use. Have you had it repaired under a Consumer Law claim?