Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 8th November 2014

Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Re: This was predictable

I had a problem with it using the EM-1 and the 75-300 shooting deer in Richmond Park last year. In hindsight I should have upped the ISO and used a faster shutter speed but didn't think I would have a problem when using a tripod. The deer had a slight halo effect, it was very noticeable. That said I used the anti-shock setting the next time and since last year I have purchased the 50-200, updated the software and have had no further problems. Images from my last visit were perfectly sharp.

However I upgraded to the latest software just before going to Boston last week....could I find my super panel? Could I heck....then when I finally got it up I found that it was no longer touch responsive! I could only change settings using the screen when I switch the screen off in picture taking mode. I have NO idea why it has all changed but I am going to have to do some reading up on it to get it back to how it was...if I can!

Moral of the story? NEVER update right before going on holiday!
Old 9th November 2014

Liked 2,269 Times in 1,499 Posts
Re: This was predictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
I had a problem with it using the EM-1 and the 75-300 shooting deer in Richmond Park last year. In hindsight I should have upped the ISO and used a faster shutter speed but didn't think I would have a problem when using a tripod. The deer had a slight halo effect, it was very noticeable. That said I used the anti-shock setting the next time and since last year I have purchased the 50-200, updated the software and have had no further problems. Images from my last visit were perfectly sharp.

However I upgraded to the latest software just before going to Boston last week....could I find my super panel? Could I heck....then when I finally got it up I found that it was no longer touch responsive! I could only change settings using the screen when I switch the screen off in picture taking mode. I have NO idea why it has all changed but I am going to have to do some reading up on it to get it back to how it was...if I can!

Moral of the story? NEVER update right before going on holiday!
This sounds similar to the problem that I had with my EM5 a few weeks ago. Basically, none of the controls including the touch screen worked, and whilst I could still take pictures there was no control of exposure, and with no preview I had no way of knowing whether the images were properly exposed or not. (They were.)

I tried removing the battery, but was unable to do anything until I connected it to my computer when I was able to access the menu, allowing me to reset everything to default. It has been fine since then, but it was extremely inconvenient having a 'brick' for company in Spain when I needed it for my work!

I would give two pieces of advice:

Firstly, it is worth saving your custom settings to the Myset custom memory settings. That way you can quickly restore the camera to its previous settings, especially if you have to use the factory reset at any time.

Secondly; always take the USB cable with you. Connecting the camera to a computer (any computer it seems) restores functionality when these problems occur, so at least you can reset to factory defaults, and then to a Myset if necessary.

I don't know about the EM1, but the USB cable for the EM5 has an oddball connection at the camera end, which you won't find easily in camera or electronics shops.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing