Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 8th January 2014

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Talk Photography

What a scary place that is. Today my photographic skills, photographic knowledge, judging ability, and ability to chair my local club were all called into question basically because the choice of my use of a CSC. Be afraid, be very afraid from entering that site to discuss ANY topic.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
The Following User Says Thank You to benvendetta For This Useful Post:
Iansky (9th January 2014)
Old 8th January 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts
Re: Talk Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
What a scary place that is. Today my photographic skills, photographic knowledge, judging ability, and ability to chair my local club were all called into question basically because the choice of my use of a CSC. Be afraid, be very afraid from entering that site to discuss ANY topic.
I haven't visited that site for ages but from what you say it obviously hasn't changed.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 8th January 2014
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

A depressingly common issue.

So many people are more interested in gear than images it seems to me and do not understand the premis that I personally work to that my gear's ability far outstrips my own and that my journey is about trying to narrow that gap whilst producing images that please me and ideally others. Whilst some gear does help by virtue of being great tools they still need skill and practice to produce the goods.

The other thing of course is that it is easy to hide behind gear to blame for poor shots as opposed to improve technique. So the endless search for new improved gear overtakes that much needed and rewarding learning.

Finally lets not forget that humans are tribal beasts, so many sad examples of that every day throughout the world and history, and those tribes can be formed around anything from family through sports teams to camera types/brands. Anybody outside the tribe is a mortal enemy. So if you don't shoot full frame but prefer a lean and mean m43 you are liable to be burnt at the stake for heresy. Some podcasts propagate that and those that do I have stopped subscribing to as they also often talk gear as opposed to producing images hence the fixation on pushing the "need" for full frame which I suggest very few photographers can really take maximum advantage of or indeed need.

And that's my grumpy summing up.

Hec
The Following Users Liked This Post:
dogsbody (9th January 2014), IainMacD (8th January 2014), LMGruchy (9th January 2014), StephenL (8th January 2014), The Technician (9th January 2014)
Old 8th January 2014

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

Not been there and suspect I will not if they are equipment snobs - the kit is just a tool and results speak for themselves!
Old 8th January 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,692 Times in 768 Posts

As I have said many times - a forum is only as good as the people who use it and any opinionated rudeness will not be tolerated on any of my forums. I even refuse to be rude about TP!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Dan in NC (9th January 2014), Iansky (9th January 2014), Wee man (8th January 2014)
art frames (8th January 2014), Floribunda (10th January 2014), gregles (9th January 2014), Melaka (9th January 2014), Ralph Harwood (8th January 2014), Ross the fiddler (9th January 2014), StephenL (9th January 2014), Zuiko (8th January 2014)
Old 8th January 2014

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

TP is short for toilet paper over here.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
The Following User Says Thank You to David M For This Useful Post:
George Dorn (8th January 2014), Ross the fiddler (9th January 2014)
Old 8th January 2014

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
TP is short for toilet paper over here.
Yes David you are right!!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 8th January 2014

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts

You have my sympathy, Dave. I stopped going to TP, other than the 4/3 related forums occasionally, due to a significant minority of members' behaviour spoiling the experience. They seem to exhibit fight, flight or flocking behaviour whenever thier own orthodoxy is challenged; unlike this place where the discussion seems generally to be more thoughtful.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Dorn For This Useful Post:
Old 8th January 2014

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

I really wanted to have the last word but with the place inhabited by Canon and Niton fans, that would never have happened...........so I will stay away from that particular thread.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 9th January 2014

Liked 883 Times in 310 Posts

There are some good people there and some not so good, I've been on the end of a similar tirade there in the past... not nice.
And yes there are a few individuals who spout 'wisdom' about certain hardware with huge post counts yet have not displayed a single image (at least as far as I can tell).

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 9th January 2014

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I really wanted to have the last word but with the place inhabited by Canon and Niton fans, that would never have happened...........so I will stay away from that particular thread.
Can you post a link to the thread please Dave?
Greytop (9th January 2014), Iansky (9th January 2014)
Old 9th January 2014
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I have to agree with Ian here, it is all about the people who frequent and use such forums.

For those who may not be aware, and hopefully to close this issue... many years ago, Ian and I spent much effort in trying to build and foster a good relationship with the owners and admins of Talk Photography. I was a member on TP before I was a member here on eGroup - where I have been, and hope to remain, a long term Admin. At the time I was using TP, I was a fairly busy poster and had a decent relationship with the Admin/Mod team on TP, but there were always some people who were just adamant on creating issues and causing problems. I voiced some frustration on here about it, and cautioned members here to be aware of certain people - and bam... the muck hit the fan with all sorts of complaints from TP staff etc.

The result was that Ian and I spent massive effort in trying to show how it was certain members on TP who were the aggressors and who were in err; we tried to explain that the best way to demonstrate comparisons was through results (i.e. pictures and images), and we tried very hard to foster a good relationship moving forward. Unfortunately, short sightedness and narrow mindedness were prevalent. I was also contacted privately with heavy handed comments and insults, and decided there and then not to visit the site again. I haven't... and I believe that was approx 4 or 5 years ago.

The (then) owner of TP, Marcel, is a gentleman and is a smashing chap, though I have no idea if he is still the owner. However, there were, and I am sure still are, many members who all they want to do is argue and cause issues, in particular against Oly users.

My advice... we are a friendly bunch with very little (almost nill) trouble and you can get all the Oly advice you could ever need on here, but there's also good photography advice available on TP.

However, as Dave is testament to via this thread (and believe me, I know him well and have met him many times - he is not an inexperienced photographer, he's a photography judge and thus has significant experience and credibility) tread carefully and be vigilant in who you engage with on TP.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
benvendetta (9th January 2014), Ian (9th January 2014), Paul19 (9th January 2014)
Greytop (9th January 2014), Paul19 (9th January 2014), Zuiko (9th January 2014)
Old 9th January 2014

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

Dave. I happened to be in the same thread at the same time and saw it all happening. One also completely misread what I'd written and turned it into a CSC v DLSR fight. With another claiming that CSCs are "completely unsusable".
All I said was that one day the mirror and pentaprism may get replaced, and I get completely misinterpreted and accused.

I see the thread has been removed now. I guess the mods are trying to clamp down on that sort of person they seem to be infected with. A staff member wrote "It is being "cleaned" and will return, just without any childish stuff".

My previous visit I asked a short technical question and got sneered at by similar "didn't read what I'd written" people. So far talkphotography.co.uk has given a bad impression.
Old 9th January 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

There are many good things about TP and the majority of members are thoroughly decent folk. However, there is also a small but very vociferous minority who seem to be always spoiling for a fight. It's best to avoid those threads where these people prevail, or maybe just rubber-neck a bit as you pass, rather as you would a train crash if you are that way inclined. My advice, though (from personal experience), is not to get drawn in - you will waste far too much time and still achieve less than you might from banging your head against a wall. Many years ago, in one such unproductive thread, I threw down the gauntlet to two particular protagonists - a photo shoot; me and my Olympus against them and their high end Canon and Nikon. I did wonder if I had been a bit rash and maybe had bitten off more than I could chew, but I needn't have worried - suddenly the playground went very quiet and I was left standing all alone. Funny? Yes, but also a complete waste of time.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Greytop (9th January 2014), Ian (9th January 2014), Mark (10th January 2014), Paul19 (9th January 2014)
Old 9th January 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Surely water off a ducks back, people who make such remarks are generally either very insecure about their photography and hide behind their gear, or perhaps ware their cameras like a codpiece to try and give greater presence to their photography, those who protest loudly, too loudly ?

It's always the case that the most noise comes from the shallow end of the pool

Best wishes
IainMacD (9th January 2014), Zuiko (9th January 2014)