Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P3

Olympus Pen E-P3 The third-generation Micro Four Thirds flagship Pen model from Olympus, complete with capacitive touch screen!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th September 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-P3 / VF-2 / magnify mode question

Am I missing something? In order to use magnify mode, particularly with legacy lenses, when using the VF-2, I find I have to:
Turn off VF-2
Press magnify button
Choose my planned focus point by touching the screen (with focus mode selected) and, optionally, choose the amount of magnification
Press magnify button
Turn on the VF-2
Focus
Turn off magnify mode, recheck composition and settings and shoot.

Doing it once isn't so much of an issue, but repeating for the same shot following small moves and with narrow DOF makes me wonder if I've missed something.

A bit of a chore perhaps, but nevertheless, I am pleased to return to manually focussing - the VF-2 with its large bright image, makes this possible for me in a way that I haven't been able to do with DLSR's. Re-discovering long forgotten lenses and effectively slowing down the whole photo taking process are real delights - and, of course, auto focus is still there on my 4/3, m4/3 lenses when I need the speed. I suspect that the E-P3 will become my "manual" camera while my E-3 stays in place for faster shooting

Doug