Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 27th April 2011
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
First Nude Model Shoot - NSFW

Hi All,

This is a very first for me. I was working with a professional model over the weekend at some derelict sites.

I've only just managed to get a look at the shots, all natural light in very dark buildings so ISO was up at 800 I've never done processing on people before and to be honest have no idea how to start.

I've produced 3 versions of 1 shot as a sample. I can host the original raw file if anyone wanted a go or point me in the right direction.

It would be interesting and very helpful to hear your feedback.

Comments and feedback and processing of my raw file (one uploaded), all very very much welcome.

The original raw file can be found here.
http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/modelshoot/cr.ORF

Cheers
Garrie
Old 27th April 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: First Nude Model Shoot - NSFW

I think I prefer the second one. The skin tones are good whilst the lighting of the immediate background is brighter. This lightness gives a better idea of the location and so contrasts well with the model.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 27th April 2011

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

Garrie - I'd like a look at the original raw file if you could point me to a download link for it....

No 1 is too soft for my tastes, and No 3 looks just a bit too contrasty, but No 2 is certainly very nice.
Old 27th April 2011

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

number2 but then each processing of the raw file is flavoured by the processors intent on top of what the photographer was after...
So by all means point me to the raw file and tell me what you want in a monochrome image and I'll see what I come up with...
...if you wish
Old 27th April 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

I LURVE the way you have directed the light ! and the Pose ! You have low lit the area of any large bum; tum and fatty back - and beautifully lit the parts to emphasise ! ... this is SUCH A COMPLEMENTARY POSE & lighting FOR WOMEN!

Your model has a great figure - except for upper part of breast is a little bony esp. in 2. but much less in 1. !

I do not like the mono 3. It looks like a half or full starved body !

P.s. I say the above "not knowing what you intended to produce!" ... Great stuff anymore ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 27th April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

Like DekHog I find no 3 too contrasty, but personally I prefer the softness of no 1 which counteracts the harshness of the environment and the dynamic pose of the model.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th April 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like the softnes of number 1 too. 2 is still a good pic. I don't like 3.
Old 28th April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to AlistairJ

I also like the softness of number 1, but prefer the brighter background of number 2.

If it was my raw file I would go for a slightly less soft body from 1, blended with a lot more of the background textures and colours showing. To emphasize the difference between the softness of the feminine form and the harsh background. I would also be dead chuffed

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 28th April 2011

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

my interpretation

Old 28th April 2011
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

And another...

I also think that using Olympus Viewer 2 to switch the image into Mono did a very good job of what is a very credible first Art Nude shoot. More than anything else, I believe that Art Nude images is all about the lighting and as you have such a good eye for that, having a professional model to present themself to their best will result in excellent results.

Personally I prefer the B&W (or toned) Art Nude image, but of your original 3 I would select #2 as being the best.

Look forward to seeing how you combine the Art Nude with the Tone Map of the sites that you use.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 30th April 2011

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

Does Garrie ever actually come back to answer his posts?
Old 30th April 2011

Liked 788 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
Obviously he has returned to hone his skill.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 9th June 2011
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
Yeah normally I try too, however just recently I've been in and out of hospital with a few health issues (last week being the latest) I know its not an excuse and for that I am sorry.

Normally I'd reply when I'm at work but my work have banned web access to this site. By the time I get home I'm normally too tired to do anything other than get some scran, spend time with the misses and our cats. The only time I view the forum is before bed on my iphone, its not the best way to reply to threads and for that I appologise.

I also appologise for not responding to the people that have taken the time to show me ways of processing this shot, thank you for showing me what can be done. Unfortunatly I haven't had the energy to process these shots (with the exeception of one I post on FB a few days ago, but that was just tonemapped and well within my comfort zone) even though they were from a good few months ago they are still on the memory card which I hope is still in my camera or camera bag, I've not used my camera since.

Once again sorry for not replying sooner. Untill I'm better I'm not gonna post too much then there is no hassle for not replying, plus I'm not really out with the camera much . I'm supposed to be shooting a wedding on the 1st of July, really not looking forward to it lol but I can't let my friend down.

Cheers, take care
Garrie
Old 9th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why is it that when a thread title says something like "nude model shoot" it is ALWAYS of a naked woman by a male photographer?!! It seems so sexist!

Can't we have some shots of naked men (and I don't care who takes the shots!)
Old 9th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,692 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
Yeah normally I try too, however just recently I've been in and out of hospital with a few health issues (last week being the latest) I know its not an excuse and for that I am sorry.

Normally I'd reply when I'm at work but my work have banned web access to this site. By the time I get home I'm normally too tired to do anything other than get some scran, spend time with the misses and our cats. The only time I view the forum is before bed on my iphone, its not the best way to reply to threads and for that I appologise.

I also appologise for not responding to the people that have taken the time to show me ways of processing this shot, thank you for showing me what can be done. Unfortunatly I haven't had the energy to process these shots (with the exeception of one I post on FB a few days ago, but that was just tonemapped and well within my comfort zone) even though they were from a good few months ago they are still on the memory card which I hope is still in my camera or camera bag, I've not used my camera since.

Once again sorry for not replying sooner. Untill I'm better I'm not gonna post too much then there is no hassle for not replying, plus I'm not really out with the camera much . I'm supposed to be shooting a wedding on the 1st of July, really not looking forward to it lol but I can't let my friend down.

Cheers, take care
Garrie
Having seen some scary posts on Facebook about your health - you have no need to apologise, Garrie!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com