Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 22nd July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Gallery

Hi, over the past 4 months I have taken these photographs and placed them onto my website.

I'm a student who I was asked by the college to photograph events.

Here is the gallery link: http://kylesmithphotography.co.uk/gallery/index.php/

Click each album and feel free to browse.

Thanks
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: My Gallery

No one?????????
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't be too despondent Kyle,everybody is out taking photographs after the appalling weather we have had myself included. I must have dozens of shots in my head that I need taking and soon.

Anyway welcome to the forum. I have had a look at your shots,you certainly have covered a wide spectrum. If I can just add a comment on your House of Fraser some of the shots appear slightly underexposed. I am not sure whether the power of your flash was at fault or you were taking them without flash at all.

Otherwise a good set of pictures though.
All the best

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
Don't be too despondent Kyle,everybody is out taking photographs after the appalling weather we have had myself included. I must have dozens of shots in my head that I need taking and soon.

Anyway welcome to the forum. I have had a look at your shots,you certainly have covered a wide spectrum. If I can just add a comment on your House of Fraser some of the shots appear slightly underexposed. I am not sure whether the power of your flash was at fault or you were taking them without flash at all.

Otherwise a good set of pictures though.
All the best
The House of Fraser catwalk photographs where really hard to work with.

I was struggling on what settings to get the best shots.

For the catwalk I worked with these settings:

1/80th, ISO 500 and aperture 3.4 noting I had infinity focus.

The 'look' and colours of the catwalk photo just doesn't seem good.
Have you any suggestions of what I could do in the future if I had to photograph a similar event given the poor lighting at the HOF even though I had a flashgun, noting recharge time is poor at a fashion show.

Thanks
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

having had another look at you photos in the HOF are you sure your flash was actually operating,I say this because in some of the shots you appear to be quite close to the models and therfore would have expected to see the impact of your flash,so Maybe someone on the forum with moredigital flash knowledge than myself will pick up on this and advise you. I tend to use flash(FL36R ) as fill in flash on external subjects only.

Just another comment i have is that you appear to cut people half way down ie. legs cut off,etc - bad habit unless you are specifically trying to photograph a particular part of their anatomy or other items which need photographing - so for me it has to be portrait format - others may disagree I am sure.

Hope this helps.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 1,344 Times in 801 Posts

To quote,

"Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

It's not for spamming your personal web site.

David M's Photoblog
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can confirm some of the photos were dark and underexposed but I don't know why it would be in some cases, but not others, I had the flash on a adjustable bracket so when I take portrait shots I can flip the bracket and it stops harsh shadows etc.

As for the feet / legs, In some cases I had to do this as House of Fraser let the models wear the clothing but were not allowed to take off labels, The labels were blatant with the shoes as they have security tags on! Hope this answers why I did it.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
To quote,

"Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

It's not for spamming your personal web site.

If you were a forum staff member I would say you were a jobs worth. I am simply not going to post each and every photo from my portfolio of the previous 3 months. I did NOT spam my personal site but linked members to the gallery.

I'm a student and therefore I'm not running a company, just obtaining experience to add to my portfolio. I did NOT get paid for taking the photographs for any of these events as this was done to gain experience and add to my portfolio.

Edit: The photographs in each section of my gallery are pretty much the similar to all of the photographs so therefore they would apply to all of that gallery album shots.
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

Kyle, I'm a new-ish member, and a foreigner to boot, so I may be off base, but I think what David is suggesting is that the protocol here is to upload a few of your best shots to the forum's generous gallery space and then post those photos into a thread for commentary. Most forum members are in the same boat as you: not paid to take photographs, perpetually looking for improvement, and always short on time. It's a big committment to critique someone's photograph, at least if one cares to do a good job of it.
I don't think it's a crime to include your web site URL into a tag line, but it's probably unrealistic to expect forum members to go to your site just to see your work. So pick your best shot, use the forum gallery, and try again! The folks here are generous, and kind.
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
Kyle, I'm a new-ish member, and a foreigner to boot, so I may be off base, but I think what David is suggesting is that the protocol here is to upload a few of your best shots to the forum's generous gallery space and then post those photos into a thread for commentary. Most forum members are in the same boat as you: not paid to take photographs, perpetually looking for improvement, and always short on time. It's a big committment to critique someone's photograph, at least if one cares to do a good job of it.
I don't think it's a crime to include your web site URL into a tag line, but it's probably unrealistic to expect forum members to go to your site just to see your work. So pick your best shot, use the forum gallery, and try again! The folks here are generous, and kind.
Thanks for clearing it up, it's just that I don't take to rude members very good.
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

Well, do keep in mind the power of words, particularly adjectives. One can shoot oneself in the foot pretty fast by applying labels to other persons. Best, perhaps, to save one's assessment until after meeting face to face? Or, in the absence of the latter, put one's opinions in the "save for later," folder? (Sorry for all the ??, I've had too much coffee this morning, am about to have another cup!).
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSmith View Post
Thanks for clearing it up, it's just that I don't take to rude members very good.
Actually I didn't think David_M was being rude - just pointing out some of the etiquette that ensures this site stays a friendly place and differentiates it from most of the appalling photography forums on the web.
Old 26th July 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Kyle, overall it's a good set. I agree it's a shame some models have had their feet cropped, but I can appreciate your reason for doing so.

I think I might have an explanation as to why some shots are slightly underexposed. I notice from the information panels for some of the affected images that you were shooting shutter priority and typically getting an aperture of f3 at 23mm focal length. That's full aperture and it's very likely the camera wanted to open the aperture even further but couldn't. In future it might be better to shoot aperture priority, or use a higher ISO, or if sticking with shutter priority set ISO to auto.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
KyleSmith (26th July 2012)
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Actually I didn't think David_M was being rude - just pointing out some of the etiquette that ensures this site stays a friendly place and differentiates it from most of the appalling photography forums on the web.
Ensures a friendly place? Well throw friendly out the window for him then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Kyle, overall it's a good set. I agree it's a shame some models have had their feet cropped, but I can appreciate your reason for doing so.

I think I might have an explanation as to why some shots are slightly underexposed. I notice from the information panels for some of the affected images that you were shooting shutter priority and typically getting an aperture of f3 at 23mm focal length. That's full aperture and it's very likely the camera wanted to open the aperture even further but couldn't. In future it might be better to shoot aperture priority, or use a higher ISO, or if sticking with shutter priority set ISO to auto.
Ah, thanks for that. I will remember for next time. What about switching to manual? I did notice when on manual mode and viewing the shot through the live preview the lighting is -5 and when focusing it changes etc.

Also, a little off topic imagine I am in a room and I'm taking a photo of a model but with a window in the background with much light in the window. How do I make the foreground lighter as the background light ruines the photograph. I know I could use a flash, but do you have any other recommendations?
Old 26th July 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSmith View Post
Ensures a friendly place? Well throw friendly out the window for him then.

David can be blunt but he is not rude; don't dismiss him, he has a wealth of experience and you'll never get bullsh*t, only honest opinions from him.

Ah, thanks for that. I will remember for next time. What about switching to manual? I did notice when on manual mode and viewing the shot through the live preview the lighting is -5 and when focusing it changes etc.

Yes, you can use manual exposure to keep full control of both shutter and aperture. You can also combine it with auto ISO to get a psuedo auto exposure. Not sure how that affects the flash though, you will probably lose auto TTL flash control.

Also, a little off topic imagine I am in a room and I'm taking a photo of a model but with a window in the background with much light in the window. How do I make the foreground lighter as the background light ruines the photograph. I know I could use a flash, but do you have any other recommendations?
Dial in a positive exposure compensation, starting around + 1 stop. Check the histogram on a test exposure and re-adjust if necessary. Or, if using manual exposure, just use a larger aperture or slower shutter speed, giving one stop more than the indicated exposure. Once again, check your histogram.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 974 Times in 374 Posts

David was not rude Kyle. Some folk might consider you to be rude by not following forum etiquette.
I did have a look at your website but must agree with others, better to put some of your shots up for crit rather than expect folk to visit your site and trawl thru your pics.