Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 22nd October 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Message from Olympus UK re E-M1 supply issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredman View Post
Because everyone has factored in the battery holder. And the adapter. I'm assuming that's why some folk are getting slightly tetchy, because they need that sales receipt.
Thats a bit of a sweeping statement, ”everyone"! I certainly didn't for one. I wouldn't be worried if the freebies didn't turn up. I bought the camera because of its specification. To me, it's not overpriced. If it were, I wouldn't have bought it. "Overpriced" means "I can't afford or justify it".

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Wee man (23rd October 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
G2EWS (22nd October 2013), paullus (22nd October 2013)
Old 22nd October 2013

Liked 289 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Thats a bit of a sweeping statement, ”everyone"!
I altered my post.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
Old 22nd October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Thats a bit of a sweeping statement, ”everyone"! I certainly didn't for one. I wouldn't be worried if the freebies didn't turn up. I bought the camera because of its specification. To me, it's not overpriced. If it were, I wouldn't have bought it. "Overpriced" means "I can't afford or justify it".
For the record i paid what i perceived to be a too high price because i'm British, and that's how it works here . I just think a couple hundred quid cheaper - for the body only - would be better. For obvious reasons.

I want m43 to be strong in an increasingly competitive mirrorless marketplace. Rightly or wrongly i think this is a risky price point for the E-M1.

Old 22nd October 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredman View Post

I want m43 to be strong in an increasingly competitive mirrorless marketplace. Rightly or wrongly i think this is a risky price point for the E-M1.
And so do I. But there's quality and there's perceived quality. I daresay that, when you strip them down, the movements, or the components in those movements, of a Rolex watch are identical in quality to those in a Patek Philippe. But the Patek Philippe is more expensive. Does that make it overpriced? Only to those who don't aspire to own one! And yet they still sell.

I perceive the quality of an Olympus to be better than a Canon. But is it? Yet I'll happily pay more for an Olympus than a Canon.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Liked This Post:
paullus (22nd October 2013)
Old 22nd October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Considering the features and performance plus build quality the E-M1 stacks up well value-wise against rival models in my opinion. It's certainly not a cheap camera and it can be strongly argued that a considerably more affordable OM-D model is now due - even overdue!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Wee man (23rd October 2013)
Old 22nd October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Now I know there are many would-be E-M1 owners who are disappointed, frustrated - maybe dare I say a little miffed at the delay of a few weeks in getting their new camera. But put yourself in the position of Canon EOS-1DX owners. They had to wait FIVE months after the camera was announced before it shipped. They have just announced a firmware update today. You can't have it until January... strange but true and it's in my blog:

http://dpnow.com/forum2/blog.php?b=383

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
jamsa (22nd October 2013)
Old 22nd October 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I think that the E-M1 compared to the E5 should be the more expensive camera but it is £200 cheaper introductory price wise.

David
ashtonsd (1st November 2013), jamsa (22nd October 2013)
Old 22nd October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Now I know there are many would-be E-M1 owners who are disappointed, frustrated - maybe dare I say a little miffed at the delay of a few weeks in getting their new camera. But put yourself in the position of Canon EOS-1DX owners. They had to wait FIVE months after the camera was announced before it shipped. They have just announced a firmware update today. You can't have it until January... strange but true and it's in my blog:

http://dpnow.com/forum2/blog.php?b=383

Ian
If, like me, you are a railway modeller too, you'll be used to waiting. Bachmann have products in their 2011/12 catalogue that haven't turned up yet, and the retooled class 40 diesel is an impressive FOUR YEARS overdue! (by which time you've forgotten why you wanted one in the first place). The freebies in the EM1 body offer do make it good value in my opinion, and anxiety for my part has not been about waiting for the delivery of the camera, but making sure I would benefit from the freebie offer. I've had reassurances from Ian and Mark from Olympus here on that score for which I'm grateful. I think the 'first come, first served' notice from Olympus was unhelpful, however.
bredman (22nd October 2013), jamsa (22nd October 2013)
Old 22nd October 2013

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Well, I'm still quite enjoying the wait for the E-M1 12-40 kit, but it's frustrating in the sense that there are quite a few interesting events for me to photo in the next few weeks, all of which would have been ideal test of the E-M1 12-40mm kit:

oh well, patience is a virtue . . . drat
Regards
Chris
Old 22nd October 2013

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Hi Ian

I believe the price is right, and I was happy to pre-order I guess there are 2 things that now are starting to feel uncomfortable, firstly my credit card was charged straight away and is now due, secondly if I wasn't on this site what communication would I have received? I ordered on the 13th Sept, I half expected delivery around the 12th Oct but if I read right from your comment above we are now looking at November that could be the best part of 2 months. I'm lucky I haven't had to sell equipment to pay for or have a pressing shoot or holiday looming (actually I do have a shoot on the 14th but my current equipment still works) - that doesn't mean a courtesy e-mail from Olympus saying sorry for the delay we will be dispatching your body in the 1st week of Nov or when ever wouldn't go a miss!
I do appreciate your efforts and coms with Olympus for us

Regards

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbutch For This Useful Post:
jamsa (22nd October 2013), Xenon (22nd October 2013)
jamsa (22nd October 2013), paullus (22nd October 2013), Xenon (22nd October 2013)
Old 22nd October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Well said.... I sold a lot of gear in order to help finance the EM1 kit. I was led to believe this would be middle October but the local retailer also took my money the day after I paid (sept18th) I have had no communication from anyone and only what I had read on here and I had to phone the retailer twice for updates the last one two weeks ago said a delivery was expected last week but they did not know what it would consist of.
I pre registered and therefore Olympus have my details and could if they had chosen to ,email me and everyone else to say ( sorry folks we had huge demand and or technical hitches and a slight /delay was anticipated).

A lot of this has been said already and Olympus ( Ian and Mark) have realised that there were some short comings with this launch and offer but this will help for future events. I also realise that some of the problems are out of Olympus UK's hands.

I had to buy another camera, lens and batteries due to the kit date being Nov. So will no doubt make another loss in selling the camera I bought to fill in the gap between my EM5 and EM1.
I learned lesson here and wont be doing this pre order again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutch View Post
Hi Ian

I believe the price is right, and I was happy to pre-order I guess there are 2 things that now are starting to feel uncomfortable, firstly my credit card was charged straight away and is now due, secondly if I wasn't on this site what communication would I have received? I ordered on the 13th Sept, I half expected delivery around the 12th Oct but if I read right from your comment above we are now looking at November that could be the best part of 2 months. I'm lucky I haven't had to sell equipment to pay for or have a pressing shoot or holiday looming (actually I do have a shoot on the 14th but my current equipment still works) - that doesn't mean a courtesy e-mail from Olympus saying sorry for the delay we will be dispatching your body in the 1st week of Nov or when ever wouldn't go a miss!
I do appreciate your efforts and coms with Olympus for us

Regards

Dave
Old 22nd October 2013

Liked 74 Times in 45 Posts

The perception of expense and value is an interesting thing. And having worked with a premier German car manufacturer a good few years ago it is something that I have previously thought of. For me because the EM-5 was so highly rated it presents the prospect of a great quality product, and coming from another manufacturer I feel as if I am buying into a class leading product made by the leading manufacturer of CSC's, that justifies the price, strangely the price reinforces that message. I think that Olympus have been bold and ambitious with their statement "Designed to outperform DSLR's " So
pricing it below the cost of high end DSLR's would call into question the credibility of that statement.
For me I see this as 'future proofing' it will do everything that I need it to and want it to, and hopefully my 'GAS' will be abated! Judging by what retailers have told me Olympus have been surprised with the demand for the camera, and I guess that to whet an appetite they have to get some into the market. If I was a senior manager at Olympus would I want to flood the market from day 1? No. I would want people like me commenting ( OK I whinge not comment) that they want their camera, and trying to manage the expectations of the customers ( but the poor retailers have to do that bit)

Does the demand bode well for Olympus? I certainly think it does, and I am glad because my hobby/passion/interest would be poorer without it.
Simon (22nd October 2013), StephenL (22nd October 2013), Westy (22nd October 2013)
Old 22nd October 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
The perception of expense and value is an interesting thing. And having worked with a premier German car manufacturer a good few years ago it is something that I have previously thought of. For me because the EM-5 was so highly rated it presents the prospect of a great quality product, and coming from another manufacturer I feel as if I am buying into a class leading product made by the leading manufacturer of CSC's, that justifies the price, strangely the price reinforces that message. I think that Olympus have been bold and ambitious with their statement "Designed to outperform DSLR's " So
pricing it below the cost of high end DSLR's would call into question the credibility of that statement.
For me I see this as 'future proofing' it will do everything that I need it to and want it to, and hopefully my 'GAS' will be abated! Judging by what retailers have told me Olympus have been surprised with the demand for the camera, and I guess that to whet an appetite they have to get some into the market. If I was a senior manager at Olympus would I want to flood the market from day 1? No. I would want people like me commenting ( OK I whinge not comment) that they want their camera, and trying to manage the expectations of the customers ( but the poor retailers have to do that bit)

Does the demand bode well for Olympus? I certainly think it does, and I am glad because my hobby/passion/interest would be poorer without it.
It's a great camera. Subjectively, it's a quantum leap better than my E-3 with the same lenses, and within its limitations, at times, I can make the E-3 sing (no really, honest, spare my blushes...)

What's better about the E-M1 for me so far is the accuracy of the autofocus (hunts a bit at times on some 4/3 optics, but spot on or what?) and the noiseless blackness of the blackest blacks that I've asked it to blacking look at.

I love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilbo For This Useful Post:
Simon (22nd October 2013)
Old 22nd October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I think the 'first come, first served' notice from Olympus was unhelpful, however.
Absolutely. To offer a deadline too just didn't make sense.

About my overpriced comment. Of course i know how the market works, everything is priced to what the market will bear, and Olympus may have got this right, and i have handed over my hard earned cash. However Olympus get it wrong an awful lot re. accessories, hoods, etc.. It's an expensive system and if i had to pay for the battery pack (which i need and use) i'd be thinking twice.

Anyway, carry on.

Old 22nd October 2013

The price of the (possibly rebadged Pana GF1) imminent Leica m4/3 camera will be interesting. No matter the price, it will sell like hot cakes i'm sure.