Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 13th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Olympus Corporate Plan

Hi

This was posted over on Dppreview so I thought I'd bring it to the attention of people over here. Apparently, the new Olympus Corporate Plan re DSLR Camera's talks about concentrating its "investment in technology and product development on the micro 4/3rd standard". No mention is made of ordinary 4/3rd:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/new...12visione.html

I wonder if this puts into content the comments made by Olympus US earlier this year that, if I remember correctly, that the EVF would replace the OVF within five years.

I know we've been told that there will be an E5, probably sometime later this year. But after that? Is anyone concerned?

Padgreen
Old 13th May 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,557 Times in 2,166 Posts
Re: Olympus Corporate Plan

I wouldn't worry too much, that is a business plan for a financial report. Naturally, they are placing the emphasis on MFT in the imaging sector, because that's where the bulk of the future growth and profits will be comming from. That doesn't mean the E-System will not be developed, indeed Olympus have already intimated that the E3 replacement is on the agenda and new models in the range have not exactly been lacking over the last few years. However, I think we have to be realistic and acknowledge that MFT will get overall priority because the future of the imaging division hangs on its success.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th May 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgreen View Post
I know we've been told that there will be an E5, probably sometime later this year. But after that? Is anyone concerned?
Nope, why should I be...?

1 - I have a camera that surpasses my ability.

2 - There may be a new model that surpasses that ability further.

3 - I have a plethora of 1st class lenses available.

Even if 1,2 and 3 were not true, why would I be concerned...?

It's a camera.

OK,OK,OK... I don't mean to be cynical in response to your legitimate question, but really... I always have a choice.

Old 13th May 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Nope, why should I be...?

I have a camera that surpasses my ability.
That would apply in my case even if I only had a Holga!

I can understand why Oly owners are concerned, to most people their camera system represents a substantial investment and there is always a lurking fear of being stuck with a dormant system while the competition streaks ahead. However, MFT has strengthened the Olympus Imaging Division substantially and IMO makes continued development of FT more viable. We must, however, accept that MFT (being the main earner) will take priority, but don't forget that improved features and technology can generally be applied across systems so ultimately FT stands to benefit.

As for myself, I really cannot afford to replace a flagship model every two years. Just because there will be an E-5 doesn't mean I'll be getting one. Probably not an E-6 when the time comes, either. I would not have spent so much on the E-3 if it did not deliver all that I need. It fulfilled all my requirements, and more, two years ago, it still does now and it almost certainly will continue to do so in ten years time.

I'm not saying I wouldn't upgrade if I could afford to do so, but the irony is not lost on me of paying a premium for a camera with the build quality to last a lifetime only to discard it two short years later.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th May 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
That would apply in my case even if I only had a Holga!

I can understand why Oly owners are concerned, to most people their camera system represents a substantial investment and there is always a lurking fear of being stuck with a dormant system while the competition streaks ahead. However, MFT has strengthened the Olympus Imaging Division substantially and IMO makes continued development of FT more viable. We must, however, accept that MFT (being the main earner) will take priority, but don't forget that improved features and technology can generally be applied across systems so ultimately FT stands to benefit.

As for myself, I really cannot afford to replace a flagship model every two years. Just because there will be an E-5 doesn't mean I'll be getting one. Probably not an E-6 when the time comes, either. I would not have spent so much on the E-3 if it did not deliver all that I need. It fulfilled all my requirements, and more, two years ago, it still does now and it almost certainly will continue to do so in ten years time.

I'm not saying I wouldn't upgrade if I could afford to do so, but the irony is not lost on me of paying a premium for a camera with the build quality to last a lifetime only to discard it two short years later.
Mainly I concur with John.

I think it's worth asking what needs developing in FT, is it the prism, the viewfinder, the sensor, the processing engine, the focussing system, the metering, lenses

Well I'm pretty happy with the prism/viewfinder on the E-3, can't see what needs improvement. And anyway that's pretty mature technology, probably not much scope for other than minor change

I haven't got any quarrels with the metering.

Yes I do want a better sensor, lighter anti-alias filter and better processing engine to handle it.

The focussing system, well I rate it as pretty good, certainly it meets my needs for both wildlife/macro/architecture/landscape. But tuning of what we've got will always be welcome.

Lenses, well with the exception of the 100mm macro and a longer tele, what are we really short of?

To satisfy my requirements all Olympus need do is drop a 14mp sensor, usable up to 24,000 with a bit better dynamic range into the E-3 body.

So the bit I really want is common with mFT. A far better position than 3 years ago when there was little commonality between the P&S range and the DSLRs.

Keep in mind that I was sceptical of mFT when it came out, I acknowledge that its development has to some extent taken the emphasis off FT and may have delayed the E-4/5/6.

But I re-iterate my primary point, what needs enhancing in FT is mostly common with what needs developing in mFT.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 13th May 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Mainly I concur with John.

I think it's worth asking what needs developing in FT, is it the prism, the viewfinder, the sensor, the processing engine, the focussing system, the metering, lenses

Well I'm pretty happy with the prism/viewfinder on the E-3, can't see what needs improvement. And anyway that's pretty mature technology, probably not much scope for other than minor change

I haven't got any quarrels with the metering.

Yes I do want a better sensor, lighter anti-alias filter and better processing engine to handle it.

The focussing system, well I rate it as pretty good, certainly it meets my needs for both wildlife/macro/architecture/landscape. But tuning of what we've got will always be welcome.

Lenses, well with the exception of the 100mm macro and a longer tele, what are we really short of?

To satisfy my requirements all Olympus need do is drop a 14mp sensor, usable up to 24,000 with a bit better dynamic range into the E-3 body.

So the bit I really want is common with mFT. A far better position than 3 years ago when there was little commonality between the P&S range and the DSLRs.

Keep in mind that I was sceptical of mFT when it came out, I acknowledge that its development has to some extent taken the emphasis off FT and may have delayed the E-4/5/6.

But I re-iterate my primary point, what needs enhancing in FT is mostly common with what needs developing in mFT.

Nick
Very well analyzed, Nick.

14mp useable up to ISO 24000? That's a big ask.

Old 13th May 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Very well analyzed, Nick.

14mp useable up to ISO 24000? That's a big ask.
In the interest of forming this coalition I might concede a temporary postponement on one zero, provided a matching concession is made to achieve 14mp within the first year.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 13th May 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
In the interest of forming this coalition I might concede a temporary postponement on one zero, provided a matching concession is made to achieve 14mp within the first year.

Nick
On that basis I think we might be able to explore areas of mutual agreement and form a consensus that enables us to put our remaining differences aside and work together for the common good whilst still retaining our seperate identities and principles.

Old 13th May 2010
Administrator

Quote:
On that basis I think we might be able to explore areas of mutual agreement and form a consensus that enables us to put our remaining differences aside and work together for the common good whilst still retaining our seperate identities and principles.
BTW Nick, my middle name is David so it bodes well!

Old 14th May 2010

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

I'm not concerned, you just have to look at the investment Sony have made in there answer to micro ft and how they have pulled all the stops out to get a share of that lucrative market (just like compacts there is a potential wider audiance) but that does not mean they have abandoned their dslr's so why think the same of Olympus?

I'm guessing Canon and Nikon are standing in the wings ringing there hands at this lost potential market to them and I really expect to see something from them very soon. Possibly a sensor bigger than a compact/bridge but a little smaller then 4/3 to get a size advantage over the other three

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 14th May 2010

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi what I would like to see is a 12mega pixel and 16bit depth sensor that would give me an A3 size print with no noise at 6400 iso and a good dynamic range equal to iso 200 iso we dont really need a larger 14meg sensor as their really isn't enough benifits, you would only get perhaps about and inch bigger in print size over a 10 mega pixel sensor. A longer reach lens than the 300 f2,8 to say 600 or 800 eq 35mm 1200, 1600mm below 10,000. Olympus do cover a range from 7mm to 300mm except prob a 100mm macro lens.

Dave
Old 14th May 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
A longer reach lens than the 300 f2,8 to say 600 or 800 eq 35mm 1200, 1600mm below 10,000.
Dave
Would you be up for one of those if they did one?

Old 14th May 2010

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Yes probably would be up for one, Id have to save the pennies or pounds rather for one though, I think at lot more would also a f2.8 or f4 though.

Iknow that they would be quite big prob 5 or 6 kgs I'd expect.

Dave