Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 31st August 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Converting E-400 to IR only... anyone know if this is poss?

Hi All

Just a query at present.

I have an E-400 that rarely gets used any more, as I have my E-510 as back up to my E-3. So... given that I am becoming more and more interested in landscapes, seascapes - and IR stuff, I was wondering if anyone knows of any company who might be able to convert the E-400 to an 'IR only' body. This would give me far more flexibility in as much as not having to use any IR filters, and thus I can use all my lenses and obtain shorter exposures etc.

I did discuss this on the telephone with John B a few days ago, and we thought that the sensor in the E-400 (Kodak), though prone to noise at high ISO, also produces some glorious rich colours, thus I wouldn't get my E-400 converted, alas I am reconsidering this.

So, does anyone know if this is even possible... and if so, where could I go?

Ta

Old 31st August 2009

Liked 195 Times in 130 Posts
Re: Converting E-400 to IR only... anyone know if this is poss?

John, I'm getting annoyed with myself now as a small few weeks ago I found a UK website listing prices and bookmarked it, or so I thought. Can't find it anywhere now.
If you fancy the DIY approach, have a look HERE

Let me know if you find somewhere as I was going through the same thought process re. the E-500.

Jens Birch as also written some good stuff about it if you do a search around the same site as the above link.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 31st August 2009
Senior

Liked 162 Times in 62 Posts
Re: Converting E-400 to IR only... anyone know if this is poss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hi All

Just a query at present.

I have an E-400 that rarely gets used any more, as I have my E-510 as back up to my E-3. So... given that I am becoming more and more interested in landscapes, seascapes - and IR stuff, I was wondering if anyone knows of any company who might be able to convert the E-400 to an 'IR only' body. This would give me far more flexibility in as much as not having to use any IR filters, and thus I can use all my lenses and obtain shorter exposures etc.

I did discuss this on the telephone with John B a few days ago, and we thought that the sensor in the E-400 (Kodak), though prone to noise at high ISO, also produces some glorious rich colours, thus I wouldn't get my E-400 converted, alas I am reconsidering this.

So, does anyone know if this is even possible... and if so, where could I go?

Ta

try this company in UK.
http://www.advancedcameraservices.co.uk/index.html

Regards

Stewart