Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 30th August 2009
EH1

Smile Re: IR Filters - cheap imports from China - very good too!

This filter certainly produces the goods! Another great picture John, Keep them coming! You have got me well & truly hooked
Old 30th October 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to AlistairJ
Re: IR Filters - cheap imports from China - very good too!

I really like that shot of Tintern Abbey, very good.

I also just bought one of those cheap eBay IR filters 72mm size 14. Certainly does the job alright. So far I just had a brief go with it as its not been sunny enough to do more.

I set the camera (E-3) in manual, ISO100 f/8 about 10 seconds exposure (sunny scene) seems about right. I shoot raw+MF and set the camera for B&W JPEG 'orange filter' that way I can see in live view how its going to come out. Live view boost on.

Black and white results seem good, but so far far I haven't been able to make a faux-colour image in PP. Not sure if its practical with this filter.

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 30th October 2009
EH1

Smile Re: IR Filters - cheap imports from China - very good too!

Yes, I received mine a couple of weeks ago, but have`nt got round to using it yet! ................................I need some fresh inspiration from John!
Old 30th October 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlistairJ View Post
I really like that shot of Tintern Abbey, very good.

I also just bought one of those cheap eBay IR filters 72mm size 14. Certainly does the job alright. So far I just had a brief go with it as its not been sunny enough to do more.

I set the camera (E-3) in manual, ISO100 f/8 about 10 seconds exposure (sunny scene) seems about right. I shoot raw+MF and set the camera for B&W JPEG 'orange filter' that way I can see in live view how its going to come out. Live view boost on.

Black and white results seem good, but so far far I haven't been able to make a faux-colour image in PP. Not sure if its practical with this filter.
Have you tried using Lightroom Alistair...? I have saved a few presets based on my IR images that seem to work fairly well. It's hit and miss though and I find I need to adjust the develop settings for each image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH1 View Post
Yes, I received mine a couple of weeks ago, but have`nt got round to using it yet! ................................I need some fresh inspiration from John!
Thanks Edward... not so much opportunity to get out and about with the kit over these last few weeks. We're off up to the Brecon Beacons in a week or so, so hopefully I'll use the IR filter then.

Old 30th October 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

yes I have LR and I also use gimp. I was trying for the effect where you adjust the WB then swap the red and blue colour channels for the faux blue sky. But I'm not sure this is possible with this filter. Still I really like the strong B&W look and with the long exposure effect it makes for a really nice image (at least it can the right hands).

I got some more shots with it at lunchtime today, will process and post one or two this weekend hopefully.

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 30th October 2009
mike_j

Which IR filter did you opt for - 680, 720, 760 or 950nm?

I have just ordered one, only 46mm dia so quite cheap and I decided on the 720nm.

For once my camera's notoriously high IR sensitivity is going to be a benefit. I look forward to seeing the results, may post them on DPNow if they are interesting.
Old 30th October 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here are some shots I got in at lunchtime today, not that they are anything special, but as far as I can tell this cheap 720nm filter does the job perfectly well

This last one has the faux-colour effect I was looking for, despite the weak sunshine, so I am well pleased. GO AND GET ONE OF THESE FILTERS!

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 22nd February 2010
Nick

Does anyone use Cokin IR filters? or do you all use screw-on ones?
Old 22nd February 2010

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts

Well, I am screwed

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 22nd February 2010

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
I believe that if you shoot in B&W, that the RAW data is still in colour
It's the opposite really!

The sensor photosites only register light levels, not wavelengths, which means that raw data is greyscale. It only get interpreted as colour in the subsequent de-mosaicing process - either when being converted to JPEG in the camera, or by a raw developer program.

e.g. The conversion process 'knows' that the mid-grey that the first photosite registered was taken through a green filter, and is therefore interpreted as mid-green.

[PEDANT_MODE]
BTW, raw is not an acronym and therefore shouldn't be capitalised. It just means what it says - raw. JPEG _is_ an acronym and therefore should be capitalised
[/PEDANT_MODE]

I fancy getting one of these filters, but the Ebay link no longer works. What's the I.D. of the Ebay seller, please.

Jim
Old 22nd February 2010

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

There is an excellent article by Wrotniak on the subject, link below:-

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/

Bob
Old 22nd February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jim

Here's a new link to the seller http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/came-r...__W0QQ_armrsZ1.

Jon

E-420 | 14-42 | 40-150 | 35mm Macro | Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm 2.4 | Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm 3.5 | Industar 50mm 3.5 Pancake
Old 22nd February 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

What's the difference between using one of these filters and changing the settings on your camera to shoot in black & white?
Old 22nd February 2010

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethlovering View Post
What's the difference between using one of these filters and changing the settings on your camera to shoot in black & white?
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/#DIFF

Jim
Old 22nd February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
John

You do shoot some cracking beachscapes. When things warm up and I have a bit more time, I intend to get out and play with my welding glass 13.3 stop ND filter.

Cost wise at a few quid plus a cheapo "Cokin P-type"-type adapter attached with gaffer tape it is as cheap as it gets. You have to remove the green tint in PP in the same way you have to remove the purple tint from an IR filter.

The IR filter gives a unique effect particularly with landscapes, trees especially, but just thinking in terms of using it as a simple ND filter how many stops do you think it equates to? At that price and for the convenience of being able to screw it to the front of your lens (a disadvantage of the fairly weighty welding glass) it is a possible alternative?

Might be a stepping stone between ND8 and the welding glass

cheers

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP