Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 17th April 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts
Into The Mist

Went for a walk on the beach at Filey on Wednesday. There was quite a thick sea mist that lingered virtually all day, restricting visibility and muting tones. It was plain that I wouldn't be taking any scenic views so I tried to make the most of the conditions by using a long lens to photograph other people on the beach at a distance.

I rather liked this one of a father and daughter walking in the same direction but looking opposite ways. I think their dog helps connect them, as well as providing a link by the direction of its gaze to the two other groups of walkers behind them, who in turn help give the picture depth by receding into the mist.

Taken with a 70-300mm lens set at 170mm (340mm full frame equivalent. I used ISO 640 to permit a shutter speed of 1/2000th sec @ f5.6, in theory faster than necessary for the focal length, particularly with IS, but with Parkinson's I'm finding it increasingly difficult to hold that lens steady.

The original image was very flat, with a compressed histogram, so I adjusted levels and boosted contrast to give it a lift and cleaned up he noise a bit with Neat Image.

As I said, I do rather like this one, but it occurs to me that maybe it is only because I managed to salvage something from an unpromising day. Any comments, and suggestions for what I might have done differently, will be most appreciated.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th April 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Into The Mist

Taking photos of people is something that always makes me nervous, unless they are family that is. This shot really shows what can be done with a longer lens and inspires me to try my 70-300 in a similar way.

I think that the shot is great. I'm not really qualified to comment on photographic perfection but all the elements you describe certainly work for me.

A very good bit of day salvaging. In fact you could say that the weather worked for you, certainly on this shot.

Well done

Dave
Old 17th April 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

John,

I like the image. I too am a fan of the 70-300mm. I understand what you mean about salvaging the day. Quite often (in my limited experience) one shot can make the day worthwhile, and this one I would be proud of. I think you have captured the quality of the mist and its inhabitants well.

Kind regards

Graydon
Old 17th April 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Well I like it John - you've made some good English colours. Plus there is a repeated motif in the couples/dogs.

Maybe the Filey Tourist Board would like it for the next brochure.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 17th April 2009

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

John,
I love this shot. The composition works very well and the colours are strong enough, without distracting from the misty atmosphere of the day. Definitely a shot to be proud of.
I would be interested to know what a panoramic shot would look like ie crop the shadows; having said that the shadows definitely add an extra dimension and the shot may be poorer without them.

I was also out shooting on Wednesday, with a friend in Hastings and Rye, I think our weather was much better than yours. I am hopeful of a few good pics from the several hundred I took

Hope all is well with you.

Shirley
Old 6th May 2009
7tenths

I like the shot, I especially like the reflections of the main subjects, ergo, my two-penneth would be to have 'lost' the space above the main subjects heads and regain the full length of their respective reflections in the wet sand....
Old 6th May 2009

Liked 903 Times in 292 Posts

Hi John -

Anne and I like this shot very much - it has all the right elements.

Regards. Barr1e