Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 9th October 2019

Liked 2,541 Times in 1,665 Posts
Re: Plague on the planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
OK, so, -

If we fly, we will upset people
If we stay at home and go to see things we want to see, we will upset people
Doesn't matter what we do, we will upset people.

What are we supposed to do with ourselves ?

I think the answer is that we can still drive and fly, but that we should do a lot less of both.

There are also much more eco friendly ways of travelling than driving or flying, especially within mainland Britain and Europe.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th October 2019

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

There are also much more eco friendly ways of travelling than driving or flying, especially within mainland Britain and Europe.
Did you forget to add “ and when the places have public transport”

I can’t think of many places we go where a car isn’t essential to at least get you to where you’re staying, let alone via some shops for provisions, then to a pub or restaurant for a treat. Not working for us I’m afraid.
Old 9th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Did you forget to add “ and when the places have public transport”

I can’t think of many places we go where a car isn’t essential to at least get you to where you’re staying, let alone via some shops for provisions, then to a pub or restaurant for a treat. Not working for us I’m afraid.
Well now, I wanted to spend a few days in a converted Station Master's house on a railway which is still working. We wouldn't have needed a car at all but I was overruled by management.

It can be done but determination is needed!

Seriously though, I rarely drive long distances nowadays, and then only under protest. I can get almost anywhere I want by public transport with a taxi if needed for the final few miles. Holidays to remote places are a different story I grant you but I really don't get much pleasure from driving on the roads nowadays.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th October 2019

Liked 173 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
It's high time Johnson Snr took his wayward offspring in hand!
I think that task has already been dealt with by Ms Arcuri
Old 9th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
I think that task has already been dealt with by Ms Arcuri

I doubt that 'being taken in hand' was part of the deal, but you must admit he has better taste than his opposite number!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th October 2019

Quote:
Well now, I wanted to spend a few days in a converted Station Master's house on a railway which is still working. We wouldn't have needed a car at all but I was overruled by management.

It can be done but determination is needed!

Seriously though, I rarely drive long distances nowadays, and then only under protest. I can get almost anywhere I want by public transport with a taxi if needed for the final few miles. Holidays to remote places are a different story I grant you but I really don't get much pleasure from driving on the roads nowadays.
The Station Masters House isn’t Kingscote on the Bluebell line is it? We were there a couple of months ago and we said it would be a wonderful place to stay, but the volunteer said he thought it was rented and not a holiday let. We’d be there if it was!

We stayed in West and Mid Wales this year, neither place could have been accessed by public transport, certainly not affordably.
Not yet at the ‘hating long drives’ stage yet, but well on the way. Oddly, driving in foreign lands doesn’t bother me too much, quite enjoy it in fact.
Old 9th October 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

The Station Master's house at Ribblehead is a holiday let. You can see (and climb) all Three Peaks from it and travel the famous Settle-Carlisle Railway which is right outside. There's a nice little museum in the station itself, and a decent pub 100 yards away. Easy access by rail from Leeds and Carlisle. Can get a bit windy though!

https://www.sandctrust.org.uk/stayat...ead/index.html

I have no connection with the house or the S&C Railway, it just looks a nice place to stay!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
OM USer (11th October 2019), TimP (9th October 2019)
Old 9th October 2019

Liked 467 Times in 224 Posts

Of course if we travel less, Planes and boats and Cars then we will be helping even in our small way, however the emerging nations with wealth ie China/India will be offsetting our small tokens of keeping things local and in perspective.

We had a cruise this year to celebrate our 40th WA....the number of Chinese and Indian folk on board were something I have never experienced before plus even locally (call it the Ed Sheeran factor) we have seen a greater number of far eastern travellers than ever before. So basically things won't really change much in the coming years not that I can see anyway.

Going back 50 years plus when we decided (not us but our esteemed Government of the time) when we decimated our national and local railway system it isn't surprising that more and more cars are on our roads, yes the Rail system was out of date but new electric trams on many of the rural lines which reached out to communities now isolated and now even bypassed by bus services it has definitely meant we are part of the problem with such a short sighted approach to travel.

We had our local bus service altered recently which meant no service around our village and people who need to make a bus journey being forced to walk 1 mile to the nearest stop, a public protest bought it back but only at hourly services and not every 20 mins as was. One thing I did find out with the protest I made with the authorities is there is no such thing as 'Public Transport' anymore all buses are under private ownership and whilst they have to adhere to the Governments rules about bus conditions and timetables there is no authority over dropping services...complete madness...

perhaps the lunatics are running the asylum now
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
The Following User Liked This Post:
TimP (9th October 2019)
Old 9th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
Going back 50 years plus when we decided (not us but our esteemed Government of the time) when we decimated our national and local railway system it isn't surprising that more and more cars are on our roads, yes the Rail system was out of date but new electric trams on many of the rural lines which reached out to communities now isolated and now even bypassed by bus services it has definitely meant we are part of the problem with such a short sighted approach to travel.
The Beeching cuts in 1963 were no accident. Earnest Marples, the Transport Minister at the time made his fortune from road building (the Marples Ridgeway company), so the last thing he wanted was a successful railway network. The man was a Crook; Beeching was just his fall guy.

Harold Wilson promised to reverse the rail cuts if elected in the 1964 General Election but didn't. In fact more miles or railway were closed by Barbara Castle than Beeching and Marples.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
The Station Masters House isn’t Kingscote on the Bluebell line is it? We were there a couple of months ago and we said it would be a wonderful place to stay, but the volunteer said he thought it was rented and not a holiday let. We’d be there if it was!

We stayed in West and Mid Wales this year, neither place could have been accessed by public transport, certainly not affordably.
Not yet at the ‘hating long drives’ stage yet, but well on the way. Oddly, driving in foreign lands doesn’t bother me too much, quite enjoy it in fact.
No, it was up in the Scottish Highlands. The house mentioned by Richard on the S & C is also high on my bucket list!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th October 2019

Quote:
No, it was up in the Scottish Highlands. The house mentioned by Richard on the S & C is also high on my bucket list!
I’d prefer to be on a preserved railway to know a steam train will be along throughout the day, I’d be happy as a pig in....
Old 9th October 2019

Liked 467 Times in 224 Posts

The Beeching cuts in 1963 were no accident. Earnest Marples, the Transport Minister at the time made his fortune from road building (the Marples Ridgeway company), so the last thing he wanted was a successful railway network. The man was a Crook; Beeching was just his fall guy.

and of course the passenger numbers were taken during a time of day when they would be at their lowest...!! Politicians telling lies now there's a thing
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 9th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
The Station Master's house at Ribblehead is a holiday let. You can see (and climb) all Three Peaks from it and travel the famous Settle-Carlisle Railway which is right outside. There's a nice little museum in the station itself, and a decent pub 100 yards away. Easy access by rail from Leeds and Carlisle. Can get a bit windy though!

https://www.sandctrust.org.uk/stayat...ead/index.html

I have no connection with the house or the S&C Railway, it just looks a nice place to stay!
Didn't think much of the pub, just lucky for them there is no competition.
Old 9th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
Of course if we travel less, Planes and boats and Cars then we will be helping even in our small way, however the emerging nations with wealth ie China/India will be offsetting our small tokens of keeping things local and in perspective.

We had a cruise this year to celebrate our 40th WA....the number of Chinese and Indian folk on board were something I have never experienced before plus even locally (call it the Ed Sheeran factor) we have seen a greater number of far eastern travellers than ever before. So basically things won't really change much in the coming years not that I can see anyway.

We had our local bus service altered recently which meant no service around our village and people who need to make a bus journey being forced to walk 1 mile to the nearest stop, a public protest bought it back but only at hourly services and not every 20 mins as was. One thing I did find out with the protest I made with the authorities is there is no such thing as 'Public Transport' anymore all buses are under private ownership and whilst they have to adhere to the Governments rules about bus conditions and timetables there is no authority over dropping services...complete madness...

perhaps the lunatics are running the asylum now
Local authorities are so stretched paying for oap bus passes that they have had to cut subsidies for transport.
How ironic that people have bus passes, but no bus to use them on.
Cost is unsustainable and cannot see how it can continue for much longer.
Tory party are loathe to stop it because they rely heavily on the old for votes
Old 9th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Local authorities are so stretched paying for oap bus passes that they have had to cut subsidies for transport.
How ironic that people have bus passes, but no bus to use them on.
Cost is unsustainable and cannot see how it can continue for much longer.
Tory party are loathe to stop it because they rely heavily on the old for votes
Buses will never cover costs whilst fare paying passengers refuse to use them. Cost and convenience is part of the problem but for some people there is an image problem too.

We somehow need to disentangle perceived wealth and success from driving big cars and flying. If public transport takes me where I want to go and is convenient I will use it, but so many people feel that being seen alighting from a bus makes them look hard-up or unsuccessful so they prefer to follow the bus in their big 4 x 4 just to make themselves feel better. Few people object to using a bus or taking the tube in London so why is it a problem elsewhere?

I regularly travel to London by train and always enjoy it; and yet there are people I know who insist on flying to London because they feel the train is somehow inferior; perhaps because it usually costs less, even though the train is quicker and more reliable, and getting into the city from LHR is a right chew on.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing