Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 7th October 2019

Liked 465 Times in 222 Posts
Analogue or Digital.

As i've just recovered my long forgotten turntable and connected to my new piece of hi fi kit and i have started to play LP's again...whilst I also listen to CD's and some streaming as well (Hi Res) a lot of the albums look like vinyl converted or remastered from originals....question is as LP's look like they have exceeded sales of CD's the younger generation seem to have hooked onto vinyl so is this a passing fad or are we seeing a move to vinyl music, vinyl does sound just a wee bit warmer and engaging but not all as some streaming has the same effect...

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 165 Times in 113 Posts
Re: Analogue or Digital.

Some people are buying vinyl for the covers just to hang on the wall.
Saw the frames for sale recently in a music/dvd megastore type place

I do have some old vinyl that does sound better than the newer CD version.
One that springs to mind is Wishbone Ash-Argus, but some others sound better cleaned up
Don't miss all the dust, crackling and jumping issues, do still have a couple of turntables and about fifty LP's though
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

An LP is a nicer object than a CD, certainly, but I think most music for the younger generation comes from streaming services, not CDs. Those that are turning to vinyl are possibly doing so because they like the look and feel of an LP, and the fact that they can read the sleeve notes without a magnifying glass . I have also recently resuscitated my turntable and am startled by how bad many vinyl discs sound, especially those from the 80s when labels started to reduce costs by using thinner and poorer quality blanks. It's also fair to say that CDs that were mastered cheaply from the original vinyl sound a lot better when remastered.

My main quarrel with vinyl is the background noise, clicks and pops, and the end-of-side distortion as the stylus is no longer parallel to the groove. I would never choose to listen to the vinyl versions of those albums I also have on CD. I have also recently invested in a networked music system and loaded it up with FLAC files from my CDs; it sounds identical to my CD player (to my ears at least) but the ability to pick tracks at random from my entire collection and play them in any order I like is great too .
The Following User Liked This Post:
bigsambwfc (7th October 2019)
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 635 Times in 171 Posts

I ditched LPs in favour of streaming and converting cd,s, kept my speakers though, but sold my sondek,ittok, asak set up, kept my lp,s, convenience the only benefit as AbeatsD every time sound wise for me.changed pre and power amp also, everything controlled from phone-tablet-pc now.Hearing not as good these days so don't notice differences as much.Use a Zen Mini streamer, Pioneer amps (lab adjusted)
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

I preferred the first generation CDs they tended too be less adulterated than the more recent versions of the same tracks. The later masterings were adjusted for playback through earphones and inadequate speakers and not through hifi quality playback kit.

Also the music company's inventory of music was repackaged so that the music was just shoved into the available space ie splitting a symphony over two CDs so that they coud minimise the number of discs required to contain five symphonies. This sets was one of the last set of CDs that I bought.
Naughty Nigel (7th October 2019)
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 165 Times in 113 Posts

Some LP's were notoriously bad, Bat Out Of Hell being one of them
I have the original import and its so much better than the UK release album
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 2,510 Times in 1,643 Posts

Vinyl LP's have become like photographic film which is also selling faster than for many years.

Earlier CD's were very good, and were usually produced from the original analogue master tapes. I would also agree that the later 'all digital' recordings are over-mastered and less pleasing to listen to.

I actually feel that modern digital recording techniques have spoilt 'real music' in much the same way that Photoshop has spoilt photography; or should I say, has made it too easy to produce a 'perfect' image or recording. Good singers shouldn't need auto-pitch!

I probably listen to and perform more live music than most, (other than professional musicians obviously), and there is rarely a performance that is 'totally perfect' without a glancing note, misregistration or other slight mistake. Others may not notice but those of us who really know the music will know they are there. Many older LP and CD pressings contained such mistakes but they are sadly missing nowadays.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 465 Times in 222 Posts

I do a bit of everything now.... quite like the convenience of streaming Hi Res versions of albums. I don't like the low res stuff it misses to many things on the track, and having changed all of my kit this year the new item is an all in one so less space and certainly less cables and very high quality sound, but vinyl is just a different sound which cannot be duplicated on streaming...or CD come to that, there certainly were some awful recordings but that's not just vinyl it still applies to newer stuff too. I've tried Tidal, Quboz, and now Amazon HD and out of those 3 Quboz to me sounds better and is for me more intuitive.
In fact there are some 50's jazz albums that I have that actually sound better than some recent recordings...all down to the studio and master tapes I think...and whilst I wouldn't be all vinyl now it seems to have a place back in the music world. I too have some albums on 2 walls now and they make an attractive alternative to pictures and paintings....

OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 635 Times in 171 Posts

Agree with old cd,s being better, get most of mine from charity shops etc the one I want is "The friends of mr cairo" by jon & Vangelis, the search goes on.I will concede that I bought SPLHCB and it sounds great even the off mike chit chat.
Old 7th October 2019

Yes, I remember one album, I think it was Tarkus by Emerson Lake and Palmer, that was originally released on the band's Manticor label in the UK. It sold much better than expected so some pressings were imported from the US on the Atlantic label, and they sounded much worse than the UK ones. LPs were a bit of a lottery in those days!

The standard CD can hold up to 74 minutes of music - allegedly so that Beethoven's Ninth can be squeezed onto a single disc:
https://www.classicfm.com/discover-m...cd-74-minutes/

Try that with vinyl .
Old 7th October 2019

The better the system the more you will hear the shortcomings of recordings. I have several CD's that sound OK in the car or on compact systems, but I just cannot listen to on my main system. Electrostatic loudspeakers in particular are extremely revealing of poor recording quality.

By choice I like to listen through valve amplifiers too.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th October 2019

I agree absolutely Nigel, I can no longer listen to DAB radio through my hi-fi although it sounds OK in the car and on the kitchen portable. Choral music in particular just turns into a mush via DAB because the bit rate is so low! I cannot get a good enough FM signal here but where I lived previously FM sounded a good deal better than DAB. These days however the BBC stream Radio 3 at 320kb/s AAC which sounds excellent. They did an experiment a couple of years ago during the Proms where Radio 3 was streamed direct from the RAH sound desk in FLAC (lossless), and I couldn't tell the difference between that and the 320k stream; I think that was the general opinion of correspondents too as they don't seem to be repeating it.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (7th October 2019)
Old 7th October 2019

Of course the real joy of digital audio is the massive dynamic range available, so we can transition from a quiet Treble solo to full organ at (say) Durham without loss of detail or distortion; and yet it can sound so soulless.

A big dynamic range can be wonderful on a good system, but it doesn't work well in a car or on a portable so the likes of Classic FM have taken to applying audio compression which just sounds horrible.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Some LP's were notoriously bad, Bat Out Of Hell being one of them
I have the original import and its so much better than the UK release album
The soft master disks also became worn with continued pressing so it was a bit of a lottery whether you got an LP from a fresh master or one that was knackered!

I must say that some of the recent LP's that I have bought on heavyweight vinyl do sound very good.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th October 2019

Liked 580 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsambwfc View Post
Agree with old cd,s being better, get most of mine from charity shops etc the one I want is "The friends of mr cairo" by jon & Vangelis, the search goes on.I will concede that I bought SPLHCB and it sounds great even the off mike chit chat.
Various versions (it seems) of 'Friends of Mr Cairo' are available on Amazon at reasonable prices. You may get what you want there. Maybe a couple of pounds dearer than the charity shop but for that album, believe me, it's worth having regardless of version