Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 28th March 2019
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,271
Thanks: 1,999
Thanked 3,184 Times in 2,488 Posts
Likes: 3,484
Liked 4,545 Times in 2,162 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Road rage is an ever increasing problem. Do you think speed limiters will reduce it?

We hear of Amazon delivery drivers having to take a dump in buckets in the back of their vans, such is the time pressure they are under. Will speed limiters reduce that pressure?

My point is, we are all expected to do more and more in shorter time, and yet road travel looks set to become even slower than it is now.

Rather than fannying around with electric cars and speed limiters we need to get away from our reliance on the private car. It is a 20th century social experiment which has failed spectacularly, is destroying our planet, poisoning us and seems is causing mental harm.

Why else would something as pathetic as a modern car cause people to kill other road users by deliberate violence? People even kill over parking spaces in Asda car parks!
Of course speed limiters will not reduce road rage, but it seems to me that the problem is the road rage and not the speed limiter. If someone's temper is at boiling point I'd rather meet them at 30mph than 40mph!

As for Amazon drivers being under so much pressure that they have no time for a dump, rather than turn a blind eye to them breaking the speed limit because they have a good excuse, it seems to me the solution would be to force Amazon to improve the working conditions of their employees, by legislation if necessary.

I totally agree that the long term solution is to reduce our reliance on the car and develop better and cheaper public transport as an alternative.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Steveee (29th March 2019)
  #32  
Old 28th March 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 10,171
Thanks: 415
Thanked 587 Times in 498 Posts
Likes: 3,510
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,655 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Good point, although youíd think they could combine the speed cameras with ANPR devices and catch some more punters. I guess that would also require a police vehicle or two in a nearby layby.
Well, we were involved in a road-rage incident a few days ago through the road works on the A1M north of Scotch Corner which has a 50 MPH limit enforced by average speed cameras.

The traffic in lane one was solid with (mainly) lorries tail to tail. We were in lane 2 with cruise control set to an indicated 56 MPH. My son was driving and I checked our speed by GPS which was 50 MPH.

Anyhow, an arrogant prick in an Audi Q8 came steaming along and planted himself on our rear bumper at a distance of less than two metres. Lane one was solid so there was no escape. The safest option would have been to speed up, but the so called 'safety cameras' prohibited this. The morbidly obese cabbage crate driver was flashing his lights, sounding his horn and waving his arms around and using a held-held phone at the time!

This continued for about two miles until the end of the road works section when we were able to speed up to safety and pull over. The cabbage crate driver then pulled in front of us and performed what I am told is called a 'brake check', nearly causing a pile up with following traffic. He then opened his window and made a reciprocating gesture with his thumb and forefinger formed into a circle. This is not one that I have seen in the Highway Code but seems to be common language amongst white van drivers.

The second part of this sequence was captured on front-facing dashcam and has been forwarded to the police but I doubt that anything will happen.

Now the point is, one of the vehicles that we overtook (very slowly), and which had a ringside seat was - wait for it - A Safety Camera Van.

Having seen this behaviour I would have expected the Officer to have pulled over the Audi driver, but he did **** all.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 28th March 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 10,171
Thanks: 415
Thanked 587 Times in 498 Posts
Likes: 3,510
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,655 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
As for Amazon drivers being under so much pressure that they have no time for a dump, rather than turn a blind eye to them breaking the speed limit because they have a good excuse, it seems to me the solution would be to force Amazon to improve the working conditions of their employees, by legislation if necessary.
I have an even better solution John: I refuse to use them. If more people followed suit things might just improve.

It's not as if they contribute to our economy; quite the reverse in fact.

Indeed, I would go so far as to say that if left unchecked, Amazon (along with eBay, Facebook, et al) will do a lot more harm to the UK than leaving the EU.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (28th March 2019)
  #34  
Old 28th March 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 10,171
Thanks: 415
Thanked 587 Times in 498 Posts
Likes: 3,510
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,655 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Of course speed limiters will not reduce road rage, but it seems to me that the problem is the road rage and not the speed limiter. If someone's temper is at boiling point I'd rather meet them at 30mph than 40mph!
I believe that road rage is caused by the ever increasing pressure to do more and more in less and less time. This is compounded by the ever increasing controls on our lives, and in particular the frustrations caused by having to deal with big business, government, etc.

Being parted with money has never been easier but getting it back from large organisations and resolving problems with malfunctioning purchases has become a head-banging exercise.

We are controlled far more than we realise, often in subtle ways, but every day it gets worse. And it always works in their favour.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 28th March 2019
DerekW DerekW is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,114
Thanks: 92
Thanked 337 Times in 264 Posts
Likes: 35
Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Amazon saves me driving into town (5 miles away for regular stuff, 30 miles away for nice to haves) local shopping would probably require multiple trips to fetch the ordered goods. So for me Amazon reduces traffic, pollution and carparking in various towns.
__________________
This space for rent
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 28th March 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,089
Thanks: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Likes: 376
Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

<snip>
The second part of this sequence was captured on front-facing dashcam and has been forwarded to the police but I doubt that anything will happen.

Now the point is, one of the vehicles that we overtook (very slowly), and which had a ringside seat was - wait for it - A Safety Camera Van.

Having seen this behaviour I would have expected the Officer to have pulled over the Audi driver, but he did **** all.
Maybe if youíd told the police heíd posted something unpleasant on Facebook theyíd have been on him like a rash.

I must admit I do enjoy trundling along at bang on the limit and seeing the fury on the faces of cars behind me, same in those 50 mph average areas on motorways too. Never seen what happened to you though and generally very few people seem to do more than the 50. I do wonder what happens to those you see blasting through the cameras on the M25 at well over the posted limit though, are they invulnerable due to cloned plates or something??
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 28th March 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,089
Thanks: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Likes: 376
Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Amazon saves me driving into town (5 miles away for regular stuff, 30 miles away for nice to haves) local shopping would probably require multiple trips to fetch the ordered goods. So for me Amazon reduces traffic, pollution and carparking in various towns.
Sorry to say it but itís the same for me. I do always check their prices though and often go elsewhere.
Iíve yet to embrace online supermarket shopping though.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 28th March 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,089
Thanks: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Likes: 376
Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I believe that road rage is caused by the ever increasing pressure to do more and more in less and less time.
I think itís more down to the ever increasing selfishness of people. People seem to have this self entitled attitude and either donít see or donít care about others or whatís going on around them. Ignorant, selfish louts abound.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (28th March 2019), Steveee (29th March 2019)
  #39  
Old 28th March 2019
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 5,792
Thanks: 592
Thanked 421 Times in 373 Posts
Likes: 787
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Titles can be misleading - I expected a discussion on Metabones...
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 28th March 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 10,171
Thanks: 415
Thanked 587 Times in 498 Posts
Likes: 3,510
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,655 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Amazon saves me driving into town (5 miles away for regular stuff, 30 miles away for nice to haves) local shopping would probably require multiple trips to fetch the ordered goods. So for me Amazon reduces traffic, pollution and carparking in various towns.
If every business behaved like Amazon the country would be bankrupt.

I don't have a problem with online shopping from reputable retailers, but the business ethics of Amazon and eBay in particular are non-existent.

Even the VAT that you pay them doesn't go the HMRC.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Amazon reduces traffic, pollution and car parking in various towns.
Well, it will when all of the real shops have closed down.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Jax (28th March 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jax (28th March 2019)
  #41  
Old 28th March 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 10,171
Thanks: 415
Thanked 587 Times in 498 Posts
Likes: 3,510
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,655 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
I think itís more down to the ever increasing selfishness of people. People seem to have this self entitled attitude and either donít see or donít care about others or whatís going on around them. Ignorant, selfish louts abound.
I think the attitude is that if you have enough money you can have whatever you want.

I have reason to believe the person in this case was a Property Developer, and in this area at least Property Developers can buy and develop wherever they want. All it takes is a £500,000 bung to party funds via a plumber in Newcastle and you can build anything anywhere you like, but they can get very angry if they don't get their own way. By the same token I daresay getting the odd speeding ticket 'lost in the system' would be very easy.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 28th March 2019
Jax Jax is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,129
Thanks: 159
Thanked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Likes: 508
Liked 336 Times in 217 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

When all the real shops have vanished due to lack of trade, vultures such as Amazon whilst rubbing their hands in glee will simply increase all their charges as there is no longer any competition. No worries though as those who use Amazon are apparently doing their bit for humanity, reducing traffic, pollution, parking and carbon emissions by not driving 5 miles into their local towns.

I wonder if the pollution caused by the Amazon delivery vehicle has been considered ?

Jax
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (29th March 2019)
  #43  
Old 29th March 2019
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 10,171
Thanks: 415
Thanked 587 Times in 498 Posts
Likes: 3,510
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,655 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
When all the real shops have vanished due to lack of trade, vultures such as Amazon whilst rubbing their hands in glee will simply increase all their charges as there is no longer any competition.
You only need to look at B&Q to see that philosophy in action.

When B&Q started out they undercut the competition and put the majority of independent hardware shops out of business. Now they have a monopoly they only sell overpriced Chinese crap at extortionate prices.

Interestingly though, Kingfisher group had been losing trade sales so they opened Screwfix, where they sell many of the same products at much lower prices than in their DIY emporia.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Jax (29th March 2019)
  #44  
Old 29th March 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,089
Thanks: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Likes: 376
Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I think the attitude is that if you have enough money you can have whatever you want.

I have reason to believe the person in this case was a Property Developer, and in this area at least Property Developers can buy and develop wherever they want. All it takes is a £500,000 bung to party funds via a plumber in Newcastle and you can build anything anywhere you like, but they can get very angry if they don't get their own way. By the same token I daresay getting the odd speeding ticket 'lost in the system' would be very easy.
Perhaps itís the system that lets this happen thatís at fault, same with companies not paying taxes, itís the system at fault. Sort that and these things wonít happen ( there will no doubt be something else though!)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 29th March 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 2,089
Thanks: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Likes: 376
Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
You only need to look at B&Q to see that philosophy in action.

When B&Q started out they undercut the competition and put the majority of independent hardware shops out of business. Now they have a monopoly they only sell overpriced Chinese crap at extortionate prices.

Interestingly though, Kingfisher group had been losing trade sales so they opened Screwfix, where they sell many of the same products at much lower prices than in their DIY emporia.
So capitalism in action. All the stuff outsourced to Asia will be the same as soon as they have cornered the market, ramp the prices up.
Do we make anything in this country any more? Anything substantial, not niche? Aerospace all but gone, automotive same, shipping same, railways same, weíve been sold down the river by successive governments for short term gain.

Still, look on the bright side, all the bankers will be fine.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (31st March 2019)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! need for speed grissley The lounge 15 13th March 2015 05:39 PM
Please don't speed. Barr1e The lounge 5 31st March 2014 02:34 PM
HLD-4 and focus speed with the E-5 Ian Olympus E-5 8 3rd February 2013 09:08 PM
HELP! E1 Write speed Ianf Olympus E-1 4 9th September 2011 10:56 PM
Speed or cores? Rawcoll Software 16 1st September 2011 05:20 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:44 PM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger