Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 3rd February 2019

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Re: Olympus Workspace - Replacement for OV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Meanwhile, the latest "codec" for viewing ORF files in Windows is dated 2009 and it doesn't work with Win 10. But Olympus spend goodness knows how much on this.
I see E-M1.1 Raw thumbs OK in Windows Explorer on W10 Paul. Don't more recent models work? I used to use FastPictureViewer codecs, but haven't bothered recently.

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Old 3rd February 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
I see E-M1.1 Raw thumbs OK in Windows Explorer on W10 Paul. Don't more recent models work? I used to use FastPictureViewer codecs, but haven't bothered recently.
Ah, so there might be a way then... must do some digging. This doesn't seem to work with Win 10:

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/sup...odec/index.cfm
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 4th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Ah, so there might be a way then... must do some digging. This doesn't seem to work with Win 10:

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/sup...odec/index.cfm
That looks a bit ancient, it doesn't support any 64bit versions. I just grabbed an E-M1.2 Raw file, and that shows thumbs on my W10 64bit, which I think is supported natively. I use FastStone as my main image browser, not sure if it's grabbing codecs from that? I use FastPictureViewer for culling, and they sell their codec pack as I said, but I don't need it any more: http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/

Old 4th February 2019

Liked 481 Times in 228 Posts

FWIW Microsoft released a codec pack which supported some of the earlier PEN and OMD bodies ORF files in explorer. That codec pack was integrated into Windows 10 so there's no point in trying to install it again.

My E-PL5 works, My E-M10 and E-M10ii don't work.
I'm not sure it had anything to do with Olympus and might well have been MS, there were a lot of supported manufacturers.

It would be nice if Olympus could include a codec to view ORF in Windows 10, I suspect it's more complicated than we imagine.
I can see they have to build something like OV3 or OW - all the early previews of the latest cameras and presumably the developers have to use inhouse software. If you want pro reviews of prerelease hardware then you have to give them something to process RAW. I can't imagine Adobe want to bother with supporting prototype hardware.
Old 4th February 2019

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
It looks like it installed and runs under Wine on Linux, but I can't actually test it because my E-P5 seems to have a non-standard USB socket! It's looks like it's neither micro, not mini USB! What's the point of that? Looks like I'll have to make a visit to Ebay.

Jim
Jim if you still need one then I might have a spare one lurking around. From memory it looks a lot more square than a standard mini USB.
Old 4th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
FWIW Microsoft released a codec pack which supported some of the earlier PEN and OMD bodies ORF files in explorer. That codec pack was integrated into Windows 10 so there's no point in trying to install it again.

My E-PL5 works, My E-M10 and E-M10ii don't work.
I'm not sure it had anything to do with Olympus and might well have been MS, there were a lot of supported manufacturers.

It would be nice if Olympus could include a codec to view ORF in Windows 10, I suspect it's more complicated than we imagine.
I can see they have to build something like OV3 or OW - all the early previews of the latest cameras and presumably the developers have to use inhouse software. If you want pro reviews of prerelease hardware then you have to give them something to process RAW. I can't imagine Adobe want to bother with supporting prototype hardware.
I have two Windows 10 machines and neither shows ORF files in Explorer. Must do some digging.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 4th February 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

I have three Windows 10 machines, two of them don't show ORF files in Explorer but the third (and newest) one does, except for Pen-F ORF files. The plot thickens!

I haven't knowingly installed any specific codecs on any of them so I have no idea why the one machine that does display ORFs does so. It is the only machine that came with Win10 pre-installed, and the only one that has Affinity Photo installed, but I can't think of any other possible reasons.
Old 4th February 2019

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

Windows 10 VM (regularly updated) won’t open an ORF file, gives a useless error with just a negative number as the error code.
Obviously it is showing the file and even assigns it a ‘photo’ icon so it’s like it does know what it is, just can’t display it.
Old 4th February 2019

Liked 481 Times in 228 Posts

This is the codec pack link
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=26829

These are the Olympus cameras it supported.
Quote:
Olympus: C-7070 Wide Zoom, C-8080 Wide Zoom, E-1, E-3, E-10, E-20, E-30, E-420, E-450, E-520, E-600, E-620, EVOLT E-300, EVOLT E-330, EVOLT E-400, EVOLT E-410, EVOLT E-500, EVOLT E-510, OM-D E-M5, PEN E-P1, PEN E-P2, PEN-P3, PEN E-PL1, PEN E-PL2, PEN E-PL3, PEN E-PL1s, PEN E-PL5, PEN E-PM1, PEN E-PM2, XZ-1, XZ-2, XZ-10
Date Published 22/04/2014 -As you can see they dropped support for it a long time back. As for manufacturers there are Canon, Sony, Nikon and Samsung in there which leads me to think it was either sponsored by or developed by Microsoft when they were trying to address the Mac dominance in content creation.

I've just had a look at my ORF files.
All of them show an Olympus Viewer 3 Icon. My E-PL5 ones used to open in Windows Photo Viewer but now they don't. As I don't use that camera any more it could have happened in any one of the updates in the last year or more.

Just for the heck of it I tried to install the codec pack and it won't allow it, even under compatibility mode.

It's definitely dead as a duck Sorry if anyone got their hopes up!

P.S. I would definitely like Olympus to write a new W10 codec, I just don't imagine they will.
Old 4th February 2019

Just looked at my ORF icons in Windows Explorer, and they are assigned to FastStone image viewer, as I have JPGs and ORFs set to open through that. It opens the Raws with the built-in JPG preview. So if you don't mind doing that, W10 will use the FastStone codecs in Windows Explorer.

Old 4th February 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

Windows 10 "feature updates" which occur usually twice a year have an annoying habit of reassigning image and video files to the native apps Photos and Movies&TV, neither of which I like, so after updating I have to go and manually reassign them to Windows Photo Viewer and Media Player. This is very annoying!
Old 4th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
P.S. I would definitely like Olympus to write a new W10 codec, I just don't imagine they will.
I think you're right - but they just spent a fortune updating their raw processor and trying to emulate Lightroom. Sorting out the codec can't be complicated. All it needs do is render the jpg embedded in the raw file!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
AMc (5th February 2019)
Old 4th February 2019

This seems to work, but it's a bit slow rendering and the thumbs look quite dark:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sag...s/postdownload
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 6th February 2019

Liked 383 Times in 146 Posts

Why does one need to enter their camera serial number in order to download Olympus Workspace? .... Not sure I want to do that........ .... Big Brother already knows too much about me.

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook
Old 6th February 2019

Liked 249 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Why does one need to enter their camera serial number in order to download Olympus Workspace?
I feel that's fair enough. They are offering their software free of charge to Olympus camera owners. If your camera is under warranty, then it's worth registering with them, anyway, since they offer a warranty extension.