Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 31st March 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't get flash mode into anything other than "off"

Hi. I have a new E-M10 mark ii. I've set up the custom menus as I like them but in doing so my flash mode is permanatly set to "Off" when using the P or A shooting modes. I want to be able to set it to AUTO or Fill-in flash but can't for the life of me work out how to change it. If I use the SCP the front dial does nothing to change the flash mode.
Old 31st March 2017

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Re: Can't get flash mode into anything other than "off"

Have you tried doing this with the flash unit fitted and turned on? If the camera can not find the flash it tends to be uncooperative.
Old 31st March 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Archie. Yes the camera had a Nissin i60a flash set to TTL. Further info. I saved the settings as a MySet and did a full camera reset. Flash mode change all Ok. I then went through the custom menus one by one and changed to settings I like. All seemed OK (that is I could change flash mode with the SCP and front dial) until I pressed the INFO button and the Flash Mode locked in OFF. Can't change mode without doing a reset - but I don't understand why.
Old 31st March 2017

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

HI mikesilve,
sorry my suggestion did not work for you. I do not have an Olympus 10 mk2. I did have problems setting up my Pen-F which were solved by plugging the supplied flash unit into the hot shoe. I think the Olympus 10 has a built in flash - you could try with it as there would be no problem of incompatibility. If this does not work perhaps some other member of the forum who has a 10 mk2 could help.
Old 31st March 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

I checked my E-M10 MKII and it does this if you have Silent Shutter selected. I don't have an external flash so could only check with the built in flash.

Hope this helps.

ps. Just found this thread related to the E-M5 MKII which confirms you cannot use flash with Silent Shutter.http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...+shutter+flash

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 6th April 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Many thanks PeterBirdie. Yes indeed the flash goes into OFF mode is the Silent Shutter is ON (and I'm using the Nissin i60a MFT flash on camera). I can't recall seeing this in the manual but who knows, manual and menus are not that intuitive.
Old 6th April 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Unfortunately it's an inherent characteristic of the current method used to implement "Silent" (actually Electronic) shutter that it cannot work with flash and will give some strange effects when used in mains powered or other flickering lighting.

For a bit more information see my recent thread http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44713

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Tags
e-m10ii, flash, mode