Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 18th October 2016

Liked 131 Times in 25 Posts
Live composite long exposure help - I am a bit stuck

Hello all,

I am looking to do some long exposure water type stuff using a ND filter.

How would I use the live composite feature for this - I cant seem to grasp it. Or do I need live time or are they the same thing ?

The first shutter press takes a normal exposure and subsequent shutter press kicks off multiple exposures which are composited in camera ? Is this correct?

Would the initial normal exposure be without the ND filter and if so what purpose does it serve?

I must be missing something obvious

Thanks for any advice

Rob
Old 18th October 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,624 Times in 937 Posts
Re: Live composite long exposure help - I am a bit stuck

Live composite takes an initial image then adds to it any areas that have a lighter exposure level.

For water with ND filter you will be better off with live time as it is capturing all the light and building it up across the whole range of illumination to the point where you stop the exposure.

But it's fun to experiment with both. Please post the results.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 18th October 2016

Liked 341 Times in 163 Posts

Hi Rob

LiveComp mode is a sort of multiple frame mode. The first shutter press takes a dark frame then when you press again it starts taking images at the shutter time interval you have set while you watch the live screen on the back. When you think you have the desired image you press the shutter button to stop the image and it gets saved to your memory card. What it does is updates that image only if the individual pixel is lighter than the one taken before. It therefore records the brightest pixels.

I normally use this for fireworks, star trials or light trials you can see the light trails developing as the light pixel has moved position in the frame.

If you are trying to get long exposures with water I would think you need to look very closely at the water and it may mean that eventually all the water has the same bright colour. This may not be the effect you were looking for? Not sure if this helps.

Edit just seen Graham's post while I was typing and I agree with him regarding LiveTime.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 18th October 2016

Liked 131 Times in 25 Posts

Thanks guys too many options for a simple country boy like me

I appreciate you taking the time and will give it a punt

Thanks again

Rob
Old 4th November 2016

Liked 2,842 Times in 968 Posts

The other oprion is of course live bulb.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr