Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 17th January 2009

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
First Images With 50-200 SWD

Bought myself the 50-200 SWD as a Christmas present to myself. Actually was forced into buying it now as my friend who worked for Olympus was retiring and my last chance to get Olympus kit at staff discount rates.

Anyway I digress, I went to the local reservoir at Abberton, Essex to give the 50-200 a try out the other day and caught this image.

I would be grateful for your views and opinions.

Regards

Simon

Old 17th January 2009

Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts
Re: First Images With 50-200 SWD

Simon

I am a fan of wildlife so I naturally warm to subjects like this (but I am no birder) and I like the warmth and tones plus the square composition but feel that the focus isn't helping.

From the colour it looks like a late afternoon shot so perhaps you were asking a lot of the lens? That said my non-SWD version is pretty good in poor light.

Perhaps you could say what was the special appeal of the picture and I might see if I get the same buzz.

best wishes

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 17th January 2009

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Peter

Many thanks for your comments.

You are correct that it was taken late afternoon (about 3:30pm), but like you say I wasn't pushing the lens, 1/250 sec f4.7 ISO400.

It was the warm tones that really got me.

I've had no formal training apart from reading other peoples comments on images / various articles on the web and I'm hoping to get feedback such that I can make significant improvements in my photography this year.

Regards

Simon
Old 17th January 2009

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Did you use multi-point AF on this? I ask as the tip of the beak is slightly blurred, while the rest is very sharp, almost as if the point of focus was not exactly on the eye, but slightly behind it.
Like you, I love the warm tones, only usual this time of year.