Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 4th April 2014

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Updating

I've just successfully updated the firmware on an e-camera body and two lenses. Flushed with my mastery of this hitherto hidden technology I tried again, with another e-camera body and lens, using the same usb cable and Olympus Master 2 program. Result? "Unable to detect the camera. Check if the camera is correctly connected to the PC." I get the same message with the "Olympus Camera Updater" program accessed through "ib".

Anyone got any ideas, please?
Old 4th April 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Updating

Viewer 3 and its accompanying Updater program has superseded Master 2. Could it be that the camera you are now trying to update is newer than your programs can cope with?

Also, is "storage" selected on the camera screen when you connect the cable?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
flyingvic (4th April 2014)
Old 4th April 2014

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

The one I updated was a newly-acquired second-hand E-5; the one it refused to recognise was my trusty old E-300! I've updated to Viewer 3 but I get the same result.
Old 4th April 2014

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Also, is "storage" selected on the camera screen when you connect the cable?
This is key and has proved to be the reason for this problem many times in the past.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilbo For This Useful Post:
Old 4th April 2014

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Sorry - I meant to add: I had exited the initial "usb" menu that appears when the cable is attached and the camera switched on.
Old 4th April 2014

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvic View Post
Sorry - I meant to add: I had exited the initial "usb" menu that appears when the cable is attached and the camera switched on.
After connecting the camera with the USB cable and then switching it on, you need to select 'PC' and press the OK button.

Windows (I'm assuming you use Windows (what version by the way?)) may take a while to recognise the camera after which you can start the updater.

You can get manuals here if you've lost yours:
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/.../dslr.cfm#body
The Following User Says Thank You to bilbo For This Useful Post:
Old 4th April 2014

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Thank you to StephenL and Bilbo for helpful comments. Problem solved. My E-300 manual seems to have walked during preparations for moving house; and while I have the E-5 manual, I can see nothing in the index or on 'likely' pages that talks about updating firmware. 'Storage' just doesn't mean the same as 'Change' or 'Update' in my dictionary!
Old 4th April 2014

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvic View Post
Thank you to StephenL and Bilbo for helpful comments. Problem solved. My E-300 manual seems to have walked during preparations for moving house; and while I have the E-5 manual, I can see nothing in the index or on 'likely' pages that talks about updating firmware. 'Storage' just doesn't mean the same as 'Change' or 'Update' in my dictionary!
Hi.
The term "storage" is used because the PC needs to access the camera's memory ie. storage and it has to be told to look for the memory in the connected device (in this case the camera). In normal use this will only access the memory card for downloading pictures to the PC. When downloading a firmware update the Olympus Updater has the means ( not revealed to us mere mortals) to access the camera processor's internal memory where the firmware is stored.
The term MTP in the USB window is Media Transfer Protocol which is specific to Microsoft and has to be used if you want to download pictures to your PC using Windows Photo Gallery in Windows 7 or Vista.

Aren't computers wonderful.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.