Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 17th August 2012
Four Thirds User

Arrow Olympus confirms new camera body for Four Thirds lenses

Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com) is a sibling site to the e-group.

At last, confirmation of a commitment by Olympus to provide a new professional standard camera body designed for use with Olympus Zuiko Digital and other brand Four Thirds DSLR lenses!

More...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Crippledsandwich (18th August 2012), Ross the fiddler (19th August 2012), Sisi (18th August 2012), yorky (19th August 2012)
Old 17th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts
Re: Olympus confirms new camera body for Four Thirds lenses

Oh yes! I knew about this to a degree yesterday but we were told to hang fire until Photokina, but today's text is actually more positive and more committed than I felt the message was yesterday

Time for a discussion?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 17th August 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So are they building like an E7? Which caters for high pro lenses?
Old 17th August 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

So ... I got a secret message from the Olympus hive-mind through my e-maily ... I call that being organised!
Now do we take bets on a DSLR or a mega-Adapter?
I'm 90% sure we can't have it both ways, Olympus seem more concentrated these days.
Old 17th August 2012

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Well that has put my plan of getting an E5 on hold.
Hope it works well with all the other 4/3rds lenses as well.
The 300mm worked O.K. on my 520 so should be more awesome on a complimentary body.

Hope it will stop the looks of pity on the canikon users faces if I turn up with one.....

Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 17th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts

Good grief, Ian, you've well and truly beat the rumour site with this news!

It's what many of us hoped and expected but it's nice to get such positive confirmation. This leaves me to believe the solution is quite close to being accomplished - maybe even at the field testing stage.

It won't directly affect me, I will not be able to afford such a body and I no longer have the desire to use big, heavy SHG lenses, but it will give greater creedence to the MFT format, boding well for future success and increasing development. Also, upon release it will hopefully cause a glut of pre-owned E-M5's in the For Sale section, at very attractive prices.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th August 2012
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I appreciate that Olympus is going to support existing 4/3rs customer with a potentially high end body. Olympus lenses, especially the top-pro, are great. But I have a big concern. Given that there are no other vendors making lenses for the 4/3rs system, I have to question why they would do this, and why anyone would purchase a 4/3rds camera when micro 4/3rs seems to be the way forward.

I have an E5 and it is a great camera, it’s not perfect but I am happy with it. I am a long term Olympus customer, but unless there was an active future roadmap, for accessories and lenses, I would not justify investing. Also, you have to ask how are Olympus going to get mew customers to use a new 4/3rs body.

A new camera body, with better focusing and image quality, is always a good thing, but given the recent history at Olympus, can we be sure that they can afford to make this.

The E5 that thought to be the last model, but apparently it sold better than anyone thought. Maybe I am wrong and the E7/8/whatever will be a great camera.

When I can get some spare cash, I am thinking on investing in a better micro 4/3rs camera and lens setup.

Rant over
Old 17th August 2012
tcscott

Brilliant, I was so disappointed when the E5 came out, there was no way I was going to invest in one when the advantages over the E3 are so minimal.

I use a Canon 5DMkII at work but all I want is something to do my beautiful Oly glass justice, really looking forward to the next phase.

IT HAD BETTER BE TRUE
Old 17th August 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very interesting! I wonder if it will use an EVF rather than an optical view finder?

Terry
Old 17th August 2012

Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Do I get a prize re the other thread?

Oly generally seem to bring out the E-pro bodies at 2-2 1/2 year intervals so it is due. I'll still go with chasing the Nikon D800.

It does make me think. Do I go for the new body when it comes out or another E-5 if they are remaindered? And no I can't afford both! Cos there is a (another) lens I'm after. Talking of which, I presume at least one new lens to play with to go with the new body.

Lots of toys.
Old 17th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
So ... I got a secret message from the Olympus hive-mind through my e-maily ... I call that being organised!
Now do we take bets on a DSLR or a mega-Adapter?
I'm 90% sure we can't have it both ways, Olympus seem more concentrated these days.
The message says new camera, which implies a sensor based solution, but it can't be a DSLR as that would already be fully compatible with the lenses anyway. So it must be a mirrorless MFT body with a built in solution, not an adapter. If it was an adapter they would surely be able to make it compatable with existing bodies via a firmware update.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
son of sid (17th August 2012)
Old 17th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryw View Post
Very interesting! I wonder if it will use an EVF rather than an optical view finder?

Terry
If it had an optical viewfinder it would be a traditional Four Thirds DSLR, with no need for any focussing solution.

Old 17th August 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: Olympus confirms ,,,

I have a vision of some lowly Olympus employee unlocking a disused garage and finding boxes upon boxes of SHG lenses stretching as far as the eye can see.
"Hmm," say the bosses, "well done Takeshi-san, now we must find a way to sell ALL these lenses as soon as possible!"
They give their new-best-friend Sony a ring, swap the labels on their big expensive adapters, sand-down an e-M5 and bolt it on.
Ka-Ching.
Old 17th August 2012

Liked 750 Times in 498 Posts

I see the press release talks about the "90-250 f/2" lens. I would rather like such a beast, and it would be perfect for Sisi, but doubt I could afford the wages of the porters to carry it around.

Ciao ... John
Old 17th August 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm missing where it says it's a 43 body, not m43?

The way the fourthirds page reads, it's saying a new body for four thirds lenses, NOT a new 43 body?

This sentence also suggests a new m43 body which sorts the CDAF/PDAF issue:

"Watanabe has been delighted with the success of the OM-D which has pushed the boundaries of performance for system cameras but acknowledged that it did not deliver with the legacy high end lenses from the E-System."

Ian????

--------------------------