Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 18th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canon 5D for E3

I have a canon 5D +24-70L+battery pack. This is in mint condition. I am pepared to swap for a E3+12-60+battery pack, also in mint condition. I am still unsure whether I should do this but if you are interested, contact me through my private Email address..

Best regards

M Cousins
Old 19th June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,557 Times in 2,166 Posts
Re: Canon 5D for E3

Don't be suprised if you don't get too many replies on this one, Malcolm.

Sure, the 5D is still a great camera and the most affordable route into "full frame" digital photography, despite getting a bit long in the tooth and overdue for replacement. But most E3 owners are truely dedicated to the Four Thirds format and wouldn't want to swap to a heavy, bulky, less portable system (particularly the lenses) where manual sensor cleaning is a regular routine and the edge sharpness of lenses not originally designed for digital is questionable.

Nevertheless, I wish you good luck on this one. If you don't get any takers here the solution may be to sell on e-bay (despite my comments this is still a highly desireable camera to many photographers who aspire to full frame digital and consequently should command a good price) then look for a used E3. They are like hen's teeth at the moment so you may need to be patient, but I recently found one here on this Forum (thanks Jim). I can see why you're keen to swap cameras!

Cheers,

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You have just made up my mind on this one john. I will be keeping my 5D. Lets face it 12.8 megapixels over a full frame as compared to 10.1 megs on small sensor. There is also a noise issue which I do not get on my Canon. I have also never had to clean my sensor. Canon images are much smoother ( although I do like that certain something in Olympus. I still like my E510 and will use it a lot.
Just to put my slant on things.
Old 19th June 2008
senthil

Please check your personal messages
Old 19th June 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hi Malcolm

Obviously, the choice of camera is a very personal one, but all I can say is please don't let the myth of apparent high ISO noise on the E-3 turn you off this excellent camera. Have a look at this shot.

It was taken on the E-3, in low light, using the E-510 kit lens (40-150mm) at 150mm, no flash, hand held... and at ISO3200. I think you will agree, there's no need to be worried about high ISO noise on the E-3.

Old 19th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Certainly not John. The 40-150 is a gem of a lens. I have some super landscape shots that I have taken with it. It is a shame that smaller sensors deliver more noise but Olympus, to their credit have certainly improved. I love my little 510 and 14-54 but I can not say that it is better than my 5D. That is all I am trying to say. I think the four thirds system is a very good concept and I certainly would be very pleased to have a E3.

All The Best

M Cousins
Old 19th June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,557 Times in 2,166 Posts

Hi Malcolm,

Sometimes we are tempted to part with a cherished piece of kit by the lure of something different, whilst forgetting what it is about our old favourite that appealed to us enough to make us by it in the first place. If my comments about the 5D have helped you realise its worth to you, that's great!

John (MusicMan) makes a great point, and gives an excellent example, about the high ISO capability of the E3. But the stats you have quoted about pixel numbers and sensor size are undeniable. Have you seen Amateur Photographer this week? They compare a 5D against a 40D and a Nikon D300. One of the conclusions is that the 5D still comfortably out-performs even the D300 at high ISOs, so if you do a lot of that kind of work you'd be pushed to find anything better than what you've already got, short of a (very expensive) Nikon D3.

I'm surprised you've never had to clean the sensor, do you change lenses often? AP found that the lack of an anti dust system was a real problem, particularly as the sensor in the 5D is so large, necessitating frequent cleaning. But that's the thing, serious issues to one photographer will be of little consequence to another and while one person may consider a particular feature of the camera of prime importance it may be of no interest whatsoever to another.

Just as well there's so much choice in the market these days!

Cheers,

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 20th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi john. This dust thing really bothered me when I first bought my Canon cameras but touch wood I have only resorted to cleaning my 20D sensor once. This was done by blower and it cleared it completely. I use my 5D mainly for portraiture ( as I now use my E510 for landscapes )I use two lenses The 24-70 2.8L and a canon 100mm f2. These are the only lenses I use nowadays. I don't change them that often so maybe this is why I have no dust on the sensor. Hope this answers your question.

ps It would be nice to have the Oly cleaning system on them