Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 11th June 2008
MattMoore

First Images from First DSLR

Hi all,
I've attached a few images below that are the best of the first 3 weekends I've had with my DSLR.
The first 2 are taken in Christchurch, Dorset, on an outing to collect an eBay purchase

Next we have a couple from Stanborough Park, just off of the A1

Finally some photos from Stevenage Day, the photos are of the BoldDog motocross display team.

Any hints and tips will be greatly received

Thanks

Matt
Old 11th June 2008
E-P1 fan

Re: First Images from First DSLR

Good advert for the E-410 Matt well done
Old 11th June 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Great action shots of the bikes, would be nice to see a bike as it comes to the ground (with the rider), probably a case for burst mode.

Nice duck - you'll find they are quite popular here.

I like the idea of the composition of the ruin through the arch, not quite sure why it dopesn't work for me, maybe you needed to be a bit further away and laying on your back (that's right, where the doggy mess/pit/spiked railing was) to get the sides of the arch as well as the chimney. Camera exposed it fine though.

First one - well the tree is a bit inconveniently placed, might try a crop running up the middle of the trunk, but it's nice to see the water reflected on the side of the punt.

Great start though - you'll have fun.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 11th June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Hi Matt,

What agreat start you've made, you'll go far. The bike shots are spectacularly good and I can recognise that already you've got better technique and timing than me for action shots - bearing in mind I've got over 30 years photographic experience!

Constructive critisism for you on the first shot, the one with the bridge and the punt. Generally good composition, which could be improved if your lens zoomed wide enough by moving closer to exclude the tree on the left. This unbalances the composition and also obscures some of the buildings that help characterize this charming location.

The other point is the exposure, which is a little too light and causes a loss of saturation of the colours over virtually the entire frame. It's not always easy to make adjustments as you shoot, particularly if the light is constantly changing or your wife is getting impatient and wanting to move on. I remedy this by setting the auto-bracket function to half a stop compensation either side of the metered exposure and taking a burst of three exposures for every scene. Unlike film, this this not wasteful because I simply delete the two frames that haven't worked as well as the optimum one when time permitts.

Otherwise, this is a well composed and charming scene. If it is local to you it is well worth a return visit. I like it. Hope this helps, and keep up the great start that you've made. Those bikes are simply superb!

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau