Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 20th May 2012

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
To jump or not to jump?

This seeems to be the place to hear some good common sense advice.

I have the option of purchasing an OMD, with fewer than 500 actuations, plus grip for 895, I currently have EPL2, E30 and E510. D you think it is a sensible move to sell EPL2, VF2 and kit lens and purchase OMD. I doubt I would be bothered by the grip so I could sell that as well.

Do those who know about these things reckon that is a good move or am I simply suffering an attack of GAS bought on by, what to me seems, a good price?
Old 20th May 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: To jump or not to jump?

I don't know. Ooer.

So, hope that helps.
Old 20th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
I don't know. Ooer.

So, hope that helps.
Ooer...not really - more
Old 20th May 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Jump! Jump! The best camera Olympus have made - so far!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 20th May 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Jump! Jump! The best camera Olympus have made - so far!
awrgggg ! Stephen what did you go and say THAT for ? Her photography is stupendously superb as it is If Shirley gets that it kit, will be OMG not OMD How will the rest of us "mere mortals" cope with her images
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 20th May 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Shirley, it seems you are suffering similar to me from indecision, hesitancy and confusion over which of a number of increasingly complicated options for gear you should take. It's not easy, is it? I'm not sure I'm the best one to give advice as I cannot make up my own mind without asking the opinions of others, but sometimes I think we keep a clearer head when looking at someone else's situation.

The E-M5 seems to be a big step up for Olympus MFT cameras but there is always the thoughts of will its different design (permanently attached "hump" for EVF) suit you as well as the ultra compact form of the Pen, with the option to attach an accessory EVF as and when required. Then there is the issue of the layout of the controlls of the E-M5, particularly the dials - will it suit you as much as your E-PL2 does? Lastly, is it enough of an improvement in features and performance to make the upgrade good value for money? The difference you'd have to pay would buy at least one tasty prime lens for your E-PL2.

Think about why you are tempted to upgrade. Is the faster focusing, higher frame rate, weatherproofing, improved IBIS, convenience of built in EVF, better screen which also tilts, improved resolution, better high ISO performance or something else? Think how relevant these plusses are to your particular type and style of photography? Will they resolve any current limitations you find with your E-PL2 or provide the opportunity to undertake some new types of photography you want to try?

Do you have the option of handling the camera before you commit, or are you able to get into somewhere like SRS to handle one there? It would give a good indication of whether or not it's going to suit you. What bag do you currently use for your E-PL2? Will the E-M5 fit or will you need a bigger bag? That could make a difference to its portability.

If you find you have a genuine need of at least some of the improvements offered by this camera, the handling suits you and you like the form factor, then it does seem a good price. Should you find after a few weeks that it doesn't really suit you or the improvements are not as great as you hoped, I'm sure you could easily re-sell it without loss. The only downside would be if you had already parted with your E-PL2 in the meantime. Are you able to temporarilly fund the purchase without immediately selling your current kit? It does seem a good opportunity to try a highly rated new camera with minimal finacial risk. Hope this helps.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 20th May 2012

HI John,
Thank you for that long considered reply, lots to get me thinking.

I had not considered an upgrade until I saw this one for sale, if I sell my superfluous equipment and the grip the upgrade would cost me about 3-400 which seems good.

In term of the reasons to move from EPL2 the main downside is the lack of EV, I do not like the hotshoe add on, I have one but it slips off in the bag or if it gets knocked and I find it a pain, consequently I only used it for the first month or so of getting it. Its lack is not a problem until I need to use the viewfindere in bright sunlight, as we have had so little recently I hadn't noticed it...until last weekend when I was away with friends and I could not see what I was shooting and consequently missed serveral pics.

I like the size of the EPL2 and am more likely to take it out casually, but find that if I intend doing some serious photography...stuff for exhibitions or competitons I prefer the E30. From what I have read the EM5 has better IQ than the E30 but at a size that is more akin to the EPL2, with a viewfinder. Hence my temptation.

Shirley
Old 20th May 2012

Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,336 Posts
Liked 2,436 Times in 1,154 Posts

Technically you can justify it plus you have several useful supportive comments here already so from a purely financial perspective I'd say if it includes the 14-50mm lens yes grab it it's a bargain. If it doesn't include the lens then I'd be tempted to buy new. When you are spending the best part of a grand then this discount for second hand doesn't seem worth it to me if the lens isn't included. I suppose you would effectively get the grip offer though that has now ended. A key question that also comes to mind is why is the current owner selling at only 500 actuations?
Old 20th May 2012

This is the answer to that one

"You may wonder why I am selling. Well, I have a considerable investment in micro-four thirds bodies and lenses and was intending to concentrate upon this format and hence took advantage of the OM-D promotion to pre-order the camera and free grip. I have now decided however to concentrate upon my Canon system (5DII and 7D and "L" lenses) and have therefore decided to significantly reduce my set of micro-four thirds gear. I might well change my mind as there is much I like about the EM-5 but I cannot really justify the investment."

It does not include the lens but does include the free grip, worth 200. Hence he is offering the camera and grip worth 1200 for 895. He says there is a warranty and he would pass on the receipt but I seem to remember a discussion about whether that is legal!
Old 20th May 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
awrgggg ! Stephen what did you go and say THAT for ? Her photography is stupendously superb as it is If Shirley gets that it kit, will be OMG not OMD How will the rest of us "mere mortals" cope with her images
Well, the way I see it, it will put Shirley and Snaarman level pegging. Thus the competition will be firmly and truly masking my ineffectual efforts to produce anything even half-way comparable to their results.

My Flickr site
Old 20th May 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Well, the way I see it, it will put Shirley and Snaarman level pegging. Thus the competition will be firmly and truly masking my ineffectual efforts to produce anything even half-way comparable to their results.
Ah! ha! I wonder if Snaarman knows this ... tsk! tsk! Stephen pitting them agin one 'nother - naughty naughty

Shall we start a "book" ? ... or is it too soon (as Shirley has not picked it up YET! ) I am thinking 15:1 on Shirley to start ...
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 20th May 2012

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
I have the option of purchasing an OMD, with fewer than 500 actuations, plus grip ...
Go for it.
The IQ is way better (than my E-3), the built-in viewfinder is much more convenient than having a VF-2 sprouting off the top - and you can use the accessory port/flash-shoe, whilst using a viewfinder. The twin dials and customisable buttons enable you to configure the EM-5 in a way that best suits your shooting style.

You'll probably find that one or both parts of the grip are very useful, especially with a 4/3 lens - so best not to factor the resale value of this item into the financial justification.
shirley (20th May 2012)
Old 20th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Ah! ha! I wonder if Snaarman knows this ... tsk! tsk! Stephen pitting them agin one 'nother - naughty naughty

Shall we start a "book" ? ... or is it too soon (as Shirley has not picked it up YET! ) I am thinking 15:1 on Shirley to start ...
What is going on !!
What am I 15-1 to start? Does that mean I start what ever it is or Snaarman does? You can tell I know nothing about betting!

There are masses of people on this forum with way more experience, technical knowledge, vision and skill than me. I learn stuff everytime I come on here and always see loads of pics I wish I had taken, so I dont think you need to worry and remember a new camera does not increase the skill of the photographer, which at the end of the day is all that really matters. Having read Snaarman's blog and seen his pics I do not think I am much competition.

Having said all that am I talking myself out of the OMD?
Old 20th May 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post

...and remember a new camera does not increase the skill of the photographer,

Having said all that am I talking myself out of the OMD?
Quite agree, but I do find that if you can have confidence in your equipment, and if it's good to handle, it somehow increases your motivation, and is one less thing to worry about. The OMD is such a camera. I haven't had mine long, and haven't fully mastered it yet, but already I feel that it won't let me down. I won't have the camera to blame for my bad results, only myself!

My Flickr site
Old 20th May 2012

Quote:
Quite agree, but I do find that if you can have confidence in your equipment, and if it's good to handle, it somehow increases your motivation, and is one less thing to worry about. The OMD is such a camera. I haven't had mine long, and haven't fully mastered it yet, but already I feel that it won't let me down. I won't have the camera to blame for my bad results, only myself!
So is that what I need to tell my husband in order to convince him that I need to buy...another....camera?