Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 17th January 2012

Liked 176 Times in 58 Posts
Proposed e-Group Meet -Torridon Highlands Mar 12

You are no doubt all aware that IainMacD and I have had a few 'day trips' around the Highlands recently. We are wishing to get a bit more adventurous and are planning for a 2 day event, based around Torridon, over the weekend 10/11 Mar 12.

Having really enjoyed our meet in Skye last year, we are hoping we can turn this into another e-Group meet. This link http://www.stevecarter.com/latest/latesttorridon.htm will hopefully give you a taste of the potential photo opportunities in the area.

Iain and I are hoping to stay in the SYHA at Torridon on the Saturday night. http://www.syha.org.uk/hostels/highlands/torridon.aspx There are vacancies showing but the manager is away until 23 Jan so I am unable to confirm at the moment how many beds are available. It is fairly basic accomodation but conveniently located and there is a pub a short drive away which does great evening meals. Our initial thoughts are to arrive at 'gentleman's hours' on the saturday, grab a few hours shooting and hopefully a sunset then have an early sunrise start on the sunday. Neither of us have any real 'local knowledge' of the best photo locations so will need to do some internet research unless forum members, or even better, attendees are able to provide some 'top tips'. From a personal point, and having climbed some of the Torridon Munros a couple of years ago, I expect to keep the 'climbing' to a bare minimum if at all (and take most of my photos looking up not down!) so this hopefully shouldn't be an arduous event.

May I ask one of the admin staff to make this a sticky until after the event - thanks.

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoates/
Old 17th January 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,183 Times in 2,487 Posts
Liked 4,543 Times in 2,160 Posts
Re: Proposed e-Group Meet -Torridon Highlands Mar 12

Steve, a great initiative and I hope you get a good turnout. I'd love to come, but it's way too far from where I live. I've "stuck" this thread for you.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th January 2012

Many thanks John - shame you can't make it.

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

Old 17th January 2012
Kiwi Paul

I'm interested Steve, can't see any reason I won't be able to make it.

Paul
Old 17th January 2012

Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

I'm interested too.
I've got a couple of other things on in March but I'll try and keep this clear.

First thoughts are visit Diabaig and Sheildaig. The Pine forests on the slopes of Beinn Eighe. Loch Maree side and views to Slioch. I also know of a wee bothy up above Loch Coulin, the Tree House. Walk up behind the Ling hut to one of the several 'valley of a thousand hills'.
I'll stick some other tasters up later but here for starters;

Beinn Alligin

Slioch and Loch Maree

Lots of toys.

Last edited by wanderer; 17th January 2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: captioned photos
Old 17th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
I'm interested Steve, can't see any reason I won't be able to make it.

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
I'm interested too.
I've got a couple of other things on in March but I'll try and keep this clear.

Paul/Duncan that's great - be good to meet up with you both again. A couple of excellent images of what we can hopefully expect Duncan. Beinn Alligin was actually one of the mountains we walked up last time I was there and I can't say I really enjoyed it. Far too much exposure for me and it wasn't even as treacherous as it looks in your image.
If you are happy to come up with some locations for the weekend I'm sure we would all be very grateful.

Old 17th January 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Good luck you guys!
Take them survival blankets and a big thermos of soup.
Old 17th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Good luck you guys!
Take them survival blankets and a big thermos of soup.
Don't know what you're on about Ulfric, it's always gorgeous up here!

I am pleased to say that I have received an email from Seonnaidh (until fairly recently a very prolific e-group member) stating that he hopes to join us on this meet. Unfortunately he has suffered a period of ill health in recent months but thankfully now reports he is 'almost fully fighting fit and looking forward to getting to do some more serious photography'. He also said that due to commercial reasons he has left the Oly fold - but I'm sure we won't hold that against him ! He asked me to pass on his best wishes to all on the forum; for those of us able to make the Torridon event it will be a pleasure to meet up with him again.

Old 18th January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Duncan's ( Wanderer) makes me wish I could be with you in what appears to show some fanatstic scenery from a landscape photographers point of view.

sadly it is way too far from south Wales and the due to ongoing effects of a major operation the only mountains I can now climd is if there is a chait lift !

As I drive around our own Bracon Beacons I break into a sweat looking at what could turn into some fabulaous shots. Two years ago it would have been rucksack on and away climbing - but sadly those days are gone forever,so now I have to be content to look at pixs such as Duncans.

Good luck with the trip and lets hope the weather plays its part for you all.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benedict For This Useful Post:
stoates (20th January 2012)
Old 23rd January 2012

Hi all.

I made an online booking last week at the Torridon SYHA for 3 confirmed attendees, IainMacD, myself and a local photographer friend.

I have today received an email from the Hostel Manager, Mat Webster who has provisionally booked me a further 3 beds for the night of 10 Mar. The price per person is 18.25 (including a 2 SYHA temporary membership - not required for current members). This is on a bed only basis though there is an option for a continental breakfast and/or pack lunch. If Duncan, Paul, Jon or any other member wishes to take up these beds (no obligation of course but if not interested could you let me know so I can pass this on to Mat - thanks )the booking reference is 1270466 and can be paid for on 01445 791284.

I have also emailed Steve Carter, the photographer whose images I linked to in the original post, asking if he could give us some advice on locations and timings. He kindly provided some suggestions with associated photos and this map:

We will hopefully be able to devise a suitable 'itinerary' between us before the day with this and Duncan's knowledge.

The Following User Says Thank You to stoates For This Useful Post:
Old 15th February 2012

Hi all.

With just over 4 weeks to go I thought a little reminder of this trip would be of benefit and have added a proposed itinerary for your approval (or suggested alternatives! ):

Saturday 10 Mar - Time TBD (see below). Meet in the layby on the A896 (opposite the turn to Coulin Lodge) at Loch Coulin and Loch Clair. Position North 57,34' 9.12" West 005,20' 31.2". Short 1Km walk to SE tip of Loch Clair which should give good views across the water to Beinn Eighe and Liathach. From here there is a further walk around Loch Coulin but this could be too far in time and distance.

Move on to the Sheidaig Peninsular, about a 12 mile drive. There is a car park at North 57,31' 32.16" West 005,38' 57.48 and hopefully should give the best opportunity for some sunset shots ( bearing 264deg at 1815) as well as some good light on the mountains to the north and east.

Dinner and refreshments at the Torridon Inn to discuss the following day but my starting suggestion is:

An early start to make sunrise (bearing 095deg at 0648) at the northern end of Loch a' Mhullaich close to Diabaig (West along the north shore of Loch Torridon). There is a car park at Lower Diabaig/Sgeir Gulas but I think there is a large layby (from sattelite imagery) at the top of Loch a' Mhullaich which would be more convenient. This should give a good aspect across both Loch a' Mhullaich and Loch Diabaigas with the backdrop of Beinn Allign and Liathach.

From here I thought we could move to the south shore of Loch Torridon to try Annat, Balgy and the viewpoint at Creag an Eirich.

As far as timing for saturday goes it depends on how early people wish to set off and meet up. I know Paul (Woofmix) could be coming from as far as Aberdeen so I was thinking maybe an 11-1200 start might be reasonable? IainMacD and myself are both keen to have a look at Loch a'Chroisg on the way over but there may be some issues with parking up. If anybody else is interested in this we could specify a time for meeting here along with the arranged meet time at Loch Clair.

Now we just have to cross fingers for the weather - I can think of no real bad weather fall back plan!

Old 15th February 2012
Kiwi Paul

Sounds good to me Steve, we are hardened photographers a bit of torrential rain and strong gales are nothing to worry about

Paul
Old 15th February 2012

Be nice to at least see those snow capped mountains though

Old 15th February 2012
Kiwi Paul

Take an infra red camera then lol ;-)
Old 15th February 2012

Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

I intend to be there. I'll book tomorrow (Thurs). I'll stay the Friday as well.

Loch a Chroisg isn't too bad for parking but there is a fence between it and the road.

Loch Coulin is fine but I wouldn't leave it much later as the sun will go of the east side of the summit of Liathach and Sgurr Dubh will be black. The forest is worth photographing and if you go about 5 miles up there is Easan Dorcha the Teahouse which is gorgeous.
http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bo...sp?bothy_id=23

Loch a' Mhullaich and Loch Diabaigas are worthwhile if its calm but it is the dull side of Beinn Alligin. Diabaig village is nice and down by the pier is a nice mix of neat and dishevelled.
If you go NW from Diabaig there is Craig
http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bo...sp?bothy_id=22

Opposite Sheldaig on the Fearnmore road is a possibility and round to the beaches at Sand and Applecross.

The rest is fine. As ever we can play by ear.
Bad weather fallback;
http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/Inver...-Estate/About/
or a pub, any pub.

Closer to the time I'll find out high tide times as the loch looks rather miserable with acres of pebbles.

Lots of toys.