Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3rd April 2008
theenigma

Post Is Oly shooting itself in the foot?

Hi there folks,

I have been having a think about how Oly is represented in ‘tography mags here in the UK and feel that I need to get some of my concerns off my chest as I'm sure they are going to keep bothering me if I don’t get them out in the open!
I was browsing the local mag shop yesterday and found the new issue of a certain photography mag (Practical Photography I think it was). They were doing the standard 40d/D300/E3/K20d (and a few others I think) comparison which seems to have done the “round” for ages now!

Basically they were looking at the merits of each one and dedicated a page or two to each camera/system. The E3 scored 88% (if memory serves), this seems to be what it normally acquires from “reputable” photography articles. I don’t want to get in to how they score the cameras and why Oly never seems to score as high as the others on offer as I don’t really want to invite people to pour petrol on this and turn it in to a raging inferno!

No, what I'm curious/amazed/dumbfounded by is the lens that the mag tested the E3 with. Now I know that sometimes it depends on what lenses Oly sends with the camera to be “tested” but surely there can't be only us lot that actually owns any Zuiko glass?!?!

It sure seems that way as they decided to test the E3 with the 14-42 lens! I know that the Oly kit lenses are great lenses (far better than I would have expected, especially when I had my old 14-45 w/ E300) but I can't for the life of me understand why they would use this combo to test the camera out.
They don’t even sell the E3 with the ’42! I believe it is available with either the ’54 or the ’60 (or body only), if this is the case then why the heck did they test the camera with the ’42?

I would really love to see what results the Canikon cams would get if they tested them with the basic kit lenses!

I'm not one to get involved with these kinds of debates normally (each to their own etc.) but I feel I must stand up and highlight this issue, even if it is just with my peers who share a common interest in Oly.

Surely as the E3 is the new Oly camera I would have thought they would have shipped it with the 50-200 (“classic” or SWD), 35-100, 7-14 or, heck, even the ’54 workhorse! I can understand sometimes it’s easier to ship a smaller lens with a camera (hey where’d my E3 / 90-250 combo go?) but I can't see why they wouldn’t have at least invited the reviewers to test it with some of the lenses mentioned above.

I must admit that I was hooked by the 4/3rds system after seeing an early shot of the E300 and since then have enjoyed all the system has to offer (with the exception of the “Top Pro” Glass as of yet) but I would have thought that others who might not read much more than the final score line would be turned off by Oly and go straight to other brands just because the score line doesn’t start with a 9 (I know that was drifting dangerously close towards scores but I’ll try and get back on course now!).

I would really like to see at least 1 ‘tography mag review an Oly camera with one of the Top Pro lenses and see what they think of the E3 / E-System then… maybe it would be easier to invent a Flux Capacitor and bolt it to a non-rusting 80’s car and travel back and intercept the parcel and switch the lenses!?!

Anyway I suppose this is where I should end this for the sake of my sanity (that, and my fingers are starting to complain).

I would like to hear your views on this, I don’t want to turn this into a “flame war” about which brand / mag is better but I would like to know how you feel about it as an Oly user, does it make you look twice at your kit and decision(s) you have made to go with Oly? Or do you just ignore these kind of “reviews” and welcome individuals who find themselves arriving here with open arms?

Cheers,

Harv
Old 3rd April 2008

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts
Re: Is Oly shooting itself in the foot?

At least they didn't test it with the 17.5-45mm!

Still, does it really matter what others think about Olys? We know what we've got in our hands!

In a way it helps us in the end. Negative or indifferent perception by the public should make Olympus try even harder to produce ever higher specification cameras, aggressively priced with 'come ons' such as promotions.

Jim
Old 3rd April 2008

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hmmm, a big topic but a short piece from me.

I agree that reviews can seem biased, but it is hard doing reviews. I guess a lot depends on who is buying the kit, possibly one of three:
  1. People who are in the E-System already
  2. People who buy based on magazine articles
  3. People in camera shops trying DSLRs for the first time or handling somebody else's

Those in the first category don't really count as we are already heavily invested in terms of lenses/flashes so unlikely to change.

Those buying solely based on magazine reviews are slightly daft if they go on spec as they can't tell how a camera feels from a picture on a page - and they are very different.

Which brings me on to those testing cameras in shops. I think Olympus are doing the right thing here: You research the product in magazines then go into the shop with a review in mind to see what the cameras are like in the flesh. You fiddle with them all and, wow , feel how small the Olympus is for similar performance to the others. Sale sold. Job done. Bish, bash, bosh: Oly Fourthirds strategy wins the day.

My thoughts only... Please disagree/agree/whatever
Old 3rd April 2008
E-P1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theenigma View Post
does it make you look twice at your kit and decision(s) you have made to go with Oly? Or do you just ignore these kind of “reviews”
Yep - we laugh in the general direction of those who attempt to put down our lovely Olys and feel sorry for their lack of foresight .

Our gear is so good JC himself could arrive with a Canonikon rouncd his neck and we'd just sympathise and take his picture .
Old 4th April 2008

Liked 981 Times in 375 Posts

Harv.
Why don't you write to the mag and have a go at them? I wrote to the AP and got letter of the week with a 2gig card prize!
It does seem that some of the photo press are biased, but then so are we I suppose.
There was a time I seriously considered moving to canon 'cos of the slow AF speed of Oly kit, and I do have top pro lenses, and may still do so if I still cannot get the bird shots I want 'cos the AF is too slow. Got to try out the E-3 with the 300mm 2.8 yet.

Dave.
Old 4th April 2008

Liked 708 Times in 377 Posts

Talking of reviews...go read this review by David Pogue of NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/06/te...l?pagewanted=1

How can he say that Sony is the first with a usable Live View? The term LiveView cam off Olympus when the E-330 is launched 2 years ago.

All my garbage so far.
Old 4th April 2008
CompMac

Most photopgraphy magazines get their revenues from certain manufacturers. Therefore, it is common for them to be lop sided in terms of reviewing cameras or lenses.

In my opinion, a serious photographer wannabe will look more deeply than just reading reviews and doing the purchase off it. One should study the overall package/system and the functions that it serves.

Even in Malaysia, photography magazines published locally do not do justice to the pictures produced by Olympus cameras and lenses since their main revenue comes from either Canon or Nikon. I don't read reviews anymore now. I utilise the camera and lenses that I have and the system that I indulged to the fullest.
Old 4th April 2008

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

The best way to promote a camera is to take pictures and send them to the magazines! Let your pictures do the talking.

Whose up for it, lets get organised and take 'em on!

David
Old 5th April 2008

Liked 708 Times in 377 Posts

Not a problem with me..Make sure it's not to photography mag only. National Geography and the likes would be more ideal.

All my garbage so far.
Old 5th April 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,624 Times in 937 Posts

It seems to me that we are seeing more and more postings about who says what's better than what, and less and less about interesting things that we are doing with E-System equipment to achieve better and better results.

When it comes to the pictures, This year I've had more success in competitions with my C-8080 and mju725 than with the E-System. Why because the 725 in always with me and the 8080 is small and nobody (security guards) takes any notice of me when using them.

I now make a point of never looking at the "credits" on pictures, because they all too often read like a statement made to give credibility to the image by having £10k's worth of kit to produce it...

To combat this my photographic society is having a competition where only disposable cameras will be used. So the skill of the photographer will be the only factor in the quality of the pictures.

I truly believe we need to concentrate on the final result of the process and ignore the what was used to produce it. However to maintain the balance there is nothing wrong with good healthy discussions and I would never dream of stifleing conversations about any subjects.

There, I've said my bit, so please feel free to say what ever you like to get it off your chest and make yourself feel better. Beats shopping with the wife
Old 5th April 2008

Liked 981 Times in 375 Posts

What a good idea Graham. ( To combat this my photographic society is having a competition where only disposable cameras will be used. So the skill of the photographer will be the only factor in the quality of the pictures.)
I will put it to our membership.

Dave.
Old 5th April 2008

Liked 1,345 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisbro View Post
The best way to promote a camera is to take pictures and send them to the magazines! Let your pictures do the talking.

Whose up for it, lets get organised and take 'em on!

David
99% of people don't care what equipment was used to take a photo. Only photo mags list the equipment used, presumably because some of their readers are interested in such things. And some of the better, image orientated photo mags didn't list equipment when I used to read them.

If you think Olympus UK are shooting themselves in the foot you don't want to know how bad Olympus Canada are.
Old 5th April 2008
E-P1 fan

Olympus UK seem pretty good to me
Old 9th April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm happy with my Oly too, and I'd be more than willing to recommend it. But I've got friends who are equally happy with Pentax and Canon - it's the person that's as important as the camera.

I'd like to see Oly doing a bit more 'proper' advertising though, but then maybe not ...